Soup substitute????

sweet83

Hi,

I am looking for some inspiration please? I rejoined slimming world in October and since then have always had free soup in my fridge.

Now that the better weather is here (well almost) i am not feeling like having a hot bowl of soup. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of a free subtitute.

I'm not a great fan of lettuce or peppers which means i can't really prepare a big bowl of salad.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated xx

sweet83 said:
Hi,

I am looking for some inspiration please? I rejoined slimming world in October and since then have always had free soup in my fridge.

Now that the better weather is here (well almost) i am not feeling like having a hot bowl of soup. I wondered if anyone had any ideas of a free subtitute.

I'm not a great fan of lettuce or peppers which means i can't really prepare a big bowl of salad.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated xx

There are loads of veggies you can put in a salad other than lettuce or peppers! Try lots of different veggies.

Great suggestions above of have you thought of cold soup? I knpw that really wont appeal to some people but some soup it lovely served cold and really refreshing on a hot day. Do a quick google search for cold soup and you'll get pleanty of ideas.

Otherwise the SW quiche is a great summertime lunch and pasta sald with tuna or chicken is really tasty too :)

I have found my weight loss has slowed down a bit since I stopped making my lovely home-made soup :(

I may look at making a lighter summery version - maybe using tomatoes instead of root veg ... hmmm ... ideas please?

xx

I agree with clareel...what about something like gazpacho?

creamy gazpacho

free all plans

1lb 2oz ripe plum or vine tomatoes
1 small cucumber
1 green pepper, halved and deseeded
3 spring onions, chopped
1 small red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
3 tbsp red wine viniger
3.5oz fat free natural yogurt
7fl oz cold water
salt and freshly ground black pepper

for garnish
finely diced tomato, cucumber,
yellow pepper and red onion
finely chopped coriander or parsley
fat free natural yogurt

peel skin from tomatoes roughly chop the tomatoes, cucumber and green pepper and place in a food processor with the spring onions, chillie, garlic, wine viniger,yogurt and water. blend till smooth

pour the blended soup into a large bowl and season to taste cover and chill in frige for a few hours

to make garnish mix the diced veg with herbs
serve the gazpacho ladled into chilled bowls and accompany with garnishes

Fresh Gazpacho

2 cups tomato juice, preferably freshly juiced
1/2 small cucumber, peeled and chopped
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 tsp. onion, minced
1 tbsp. fresh parsley leaves, minced
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, minced
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. honey
1 tbsp. lime juice
1/2 tsp. Bragg's seasoning, or sea salt to taste
dash of Tabasco sauce (optional)
----------------------------

Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth ~ work in batches, if necessary. Serve immediately.​

Gazpacho

Ingredients

• 1 3/4 pounds ripe tomatoes
  • 1 large cucumber, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cloves crushed garlic
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped black olives
  • 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon tomato paste
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 green bell peppers, diced
  • 2 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1 large cucumber, chopped
  • 2 hard-cooked eggs, chopped

Directions

1. Score a cross in the base of each tomato. Cover with boiling water for 1 minute, plunge into cold water, drain and peel away the skin. Chop the flesh so finely that it is almost a puree.
  2. Mix together the tomatoes, 1 of the chopped cucumbers, 1 of the chopped green pepper, garlic, olives, vinegar, oil and tomato paste, and season to taste. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.
  3. Use 2 to 3 cups of chilled water to thin the soup to your taste. Serve chilled with the chopped onion, green pepper, scallions, cucumber, boiled egg, herbs and croutons served separately for diners to add to their own bowls.
  4. To Make Garlic Herb Croutons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cut two 1/2 thick slices from a loaf of bread (your choice). Remove the crusts and cut each bread slice into 16 cubes. In a bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 crushed cloves garlic, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme, 1tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary and a pinch of chili flakes. Add the bread cubes to the herbed oil and toss until all the oil has been absorbed. Lay the bread cubes in a single layer on a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the croutons are golden brown. Turn once during baking.

Tomato and basil soup

Ingredients

• 4 pounds tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves
  • 3 tablespoons vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons garlic salt
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 cup olive oil

Directions

1. In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, basil, vinegar and garlic salt. Puree until smooth. Transfer to a serving dish and stir in broth and olive oil. Chill in refrigerator until cold.

Cold Summer Soups Article - Allrecipes.com

Thanks for all the great suggestions and also the soup recipes. I'm not sure how cold soup sits with me but i am willing to give it a try.

I love the idea of having pasta salad but i find cards slow my weight loss so i try stick to mainly red or extra easy days.

Ali i'm the same, because i was maybe having that for lunch most days and it was all super free and now i am having a lunch which isn't super free.

xx

Back