soup....tired and bloated!

sammy1

Silver Member
I was wondering if anyone else has a problem after eating soup, I had courgette soup for lunch, 7 gram of carbs, and I now feel really tired, the sort of tired I would have got in the past after a carb laden lunch of sandwiches etc. I am also bloated....this has happened in the past with soup. Does anyone else get this after eating something. I guess I will have to give soup a miss for a while.

You get bloated because soup is really high in sodium (salt). High levels of sodium in your blood will make you retain water (weight). It is also bad for your heart as it raises your blood pressure. You are probably tired because of a drop in blood pressure when it comes down from the spike.

The soup was home made...courgette, 1 knorr stock cube and 5 tbs cream.....it made 5 portions and I only ate one. So I don't think it is the salt. Maybe something to do with the GI....does that go increase when food is broken down? I know the GI of mashed potato is much higher than boiled.

Also the salt/blood pressure thing is a myth - and it certainly doesn't cause a blood pressure 'spike' in the way that say sugar causes insulin spikes.

:

Myth #5: "Salt causes high blood pressure and should be avoided."

The origin: In the 1940s, a Duke University researcher named Walter Kempner, M.D., became famous for using salt restriction to treat people with high blood pressure. Later, studies confirmed that reducing salt could help reduce hypertension.

What science really shows: Large-scale scientific reviews have determined there's no reason for people with normal blood pressure to restrict their sodium intake. Now, if you already have high blood pressure, you may be "salt sensitive." As a result, reducing the amount of salt you eat could be helpful.

However, it's been known for the past 20 years that people with high blood pressure who don't want to lower their salt intake can simply consume more potassium-containing foods. Why? Because it's really the balance of the two minerals that matters. In fact, Dutch researchers determined that a low potassium intake has the same impact on your blood pressure as high salt consumption does. And it turns out, the average guy consumes 3,100 milligrams (mg) of potassium a day--1,600 mg less than recommended.

The bottom line: Strive for a potassium-rich diet, which you can achieve by eating a wide variety of fruits, vegetables, and legumes. For instance, spinach, broccoli, bananas, white potatoes, and most types of beans each contain more than 400 mg potassium per serving.

Read more: http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/food_myths/Salt_Causes_High_Blood_Pressure.php#ixzz2IpR80dB2

Back