Soups

Thanks for all the recipes. Can't wait for winter :D

This is lovely, warming and filling, I take a small flask (500ml) to work and drink it throughout the day. It's yummy, and stops me snacking on naughties from the machine.

Butternut Squash Soup

Ingredients
1 large butternut squash (or other squash/pumpkin)
2 large carrots
2 medium onions
3 large potatoes (or 1lb new potatoes)
2 vegetable stock cubes
1 tsp cumin

1 tsp dried thyme
  • Preheat oven to 190oC/Gas Mark 5/375oF. Halve butternut squash lengthways and remove the seeds, place on a baking tray cut side up and bake for approximately 30 minutes (the flesh should be very soft and scoopable). Allow to cool slightly before handling.
  • While the butternut squash is baking roughly chop the carrots, onions, and potatoes. Place in a large pan with the stock cubes and thyme, add enough water to cover the vegetables. Bring to the boil, put a lid on and simmer for 20/30 minutes (until vegetables are very soft). Allow to cool slightly before moving on to next step.
  • Once the squash is cool enough to handle, use a spoon to scoop out the flesh and place in a blender with the other vegetables and cumin (I tend to do it in 2 halves - using half of each at a time). Blend until smooth and creamy. Once blended put in a pan and heat gently, season to taste. Serve with lots of crusty bread!!!
  • Enjoy!!

Thanks for all these lovely suggestions. I have a butternut squash in my kitchen calling my name, guess whats for lunch tomorrow!!

Carrot and Lentil Soup

free on green/ee

2 onions
8-12 carrots, chopped
small bag red lentils
frylight
2-3 ham stock cubes in about 1.5-2 litres boiling water

fry the onions in frylight for 5mins, add the stock, carrots and lentils. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20mins or so until the carrots are soft and the lentils are cooked. remove from the heat and mash it together using a potato masher, so it leaves some lumps still.
Season to personal taste, enjoy! xx

Leek and potato soup

2 leeks sliced
4 potatoes cubes
2 sticks celery diced
2 veg stock cubes
2 tblsp fresh thyme, chives and parsley
salt and pepper.

Put it all in pan cover with water and bring to the boil. Simmer until cooked and then partly blend.

Tomato, lentil and bacon soup

Just tried this from extra easy book, very tasty.

198g lean bacon cut into bite size pieces
1 onion finely chopped
2 garlic cloves crushed
1ts grated ginger
2 sticks celery chopped
1 large potato cut into 1 cm dice
1 large carrot cut into 1 cm dice
908mls boiling water or stock
1 tbsp mild curry powder
127g red lentils
6 plum tomatoes chopped (I used 1 tin)
2-3tbsp finely chopped coriander
salt and pepper to taste

Add the bacon to a large pan and stir fry for about 3 - 4 minutes. Add the onion, ginger, garlic, celery, potato and carrot and stir fry for another 1 - 2 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients (except salt as this can make lentils hard. Add at end if you want. Also add coriander at the end). Cover and simmer gently for 15 - 20 minutes or until lentils are cooked and softened. Add coriander and seasoning and serve. Really filling and very tasty! :D

Lebanese Lentil Soup

1/2lb red lentils
3 cups stock (chicken/vegetable)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 carrots, chopped
1 stick celery, chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp lemon pepper (optional)
juice of one lemon
handful fresh coriander, chopped
a few mint leaves, shredded

1) In a pan of boiling water, boil the onion, carrot, celery and garlic for about 10-15 mins or until carrot is soft. Drain and blitz with a blender stick .

2) Meanwhile, in another pan bring the stock to a boil and add the lentils. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 20 mins. Stir occasionally and add more water if it dries out.

3) Add the pureed carrot mix to the lentils and add the dry spices. Simmer for 10 mins. Add the lemon juice and fresh coriander. Serve with the shredded mint leaves and a sprinkle of paprika. This is also really nice served with a swirl of low fat natural yogurt.

Note - this soup really thickens up so it can also be served over rice for a substantial meal.

Attachments

• IMG_5227.JPG
    IMG_5227.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 109
Roasted Curry Butternut Squash & Pumpkin Soup

I adapted this from allrecipes.com as I had a pumpkin and some squash to use up! Was really lovely - especially with the yogurt swirled in at the end! Great for Red/Green/EE days!

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 butternut squash, halved and seeded and 1 small pumpkin, quartered and seeded or 2 squash (I used 1 small pumpkin and 2 bulb ends of squash that I had sitting around)
  • 2 large onions, peeled and quartered
  • 1 medium head garlic
  • 6 cups vegetable broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
  2. Place squash halves and onion onto the prepared baking sheet. Wrap garlic in foil and set with other vegetables.
  3. Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
  4. Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin like paste into a food processor. Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion. Puree until smooth (I used a blender stick straight in the pot and it worked fine!). Add vegetable broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stockpot and stir in vegetable broth. Season with the bay leaf, brown sugar, curry powder, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
  5. Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired and swirled with low fat yogurt.

Attachments

• IMG_5230.JPG
    IMG_5230.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 135
Wow -thank you soooo much for this thread! :D :D

Sweetcorn Soup (delicious) Green Day 0 syns and I think EE day 0 syns

1 onion, peeled and diced
1 large potato, peeled and diced
12oz tin of Sweetcorn, drained
1.5 pints of Chicken or Vegetable Stock
Salt & Pepper

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to the boil

Simmer for 20-30 minutes

Liquidize

Pour through a sieve to remove the husks

Reheat and serve!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Watercress Soup - 0 syns

4 Packets of Watercress
1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
4 Medium Sized Potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 Pints of stock
Salt and Pepper
Frylight

Boil the potatoes until soft then drain
Whilst the potatoes are cooking, fry the onions and watercress until the onions have softened in a large saucepan
Add the stock and seasoning
Add the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes
Liquidize and serve!

Tomato Soup 0 syns on green and EE days

1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 x 400g tins of good quality chopped or plum tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
1 pint of chicken or vegetable stock
Fresh Basil leaves
Dash of Worcestershire sauce
Salt and Pepper
Pinch of sweetener

Place all ingredients into a large saucepan and bring to the boil
Simmer for 30-40 minutes
Liquidize and serve

Can be sieved if required

here are two of mine.............

Pete’s Superior Tomato Soup

Ingredients

400g of Chopped Tomatoes
1 Knorr Vegetable Stock Pot
1 Teaspoon Tomato Puree
1 Small Onion, chopped
1 small carrot, chopped
1 piece of celery, chopped
1 tsp “very lazy” garlic
1 tsp “Worcester sauce”

Method

Cut up the onion and put into a saucepan after spraying with Fry Light and cook until transparent. Cut up the carrot & Celery into small pieces and add to the pan, add the vegetable stock and garlic mix for 2 mins, stirring all the time.

Add the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes and add 300mL of water also a few drops of Worcester sauce.

Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins then remove from the heat and using a liquidiser reduce to liquid. Add Seasoning to taste. Return to the heat for a further 10 mins.

You can also allow it to cool and reheated later, as this gives a better fuller flavour.

Pete’s Super Speed Soup
(original idea on Minimins website)

Serves 4 people

Ingredients

1 can mixed bean salad
1 400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 stick of celery, chopped small
1 large leek, chopped small
1 large onion, chopped small
1 large carrot, chopped small
1 green or red pepper, chopped small
1 chilli, chopped small
750 mL of beef stock
Mixed herbs

Method

Using a large pot, spray with Fry Light, add chopped celery, onion, leeks, carrots, peppers and chilli and cool until soft.
When soft add the stock, chopped tomatoes, beans and herbs.

Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 mins, remove from the heat and using a hand liquidizer reduce to a smooth constituency, or if you like it lumpy leave alone!

Attachments

• Tomato Soup (Large).JPG
    Tomato Soup (Large).JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 72
  • pete's soup-1 (Large).JPG
    pete's soup-1 (Large).JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 251
  • pete's soup-2 (Large).JPG
    pete's soup-2 (Large).JPG
    182.7 KB · Views: 87
  • pete's soup -3 (Large).JPG
    pete's soup -3 (Large).JPG