Spain free and low syn foods.

Well, not been too well the last few days. really bad sore throat and fever started Friday. We then had visitors yesterday round for a curry but I must of done something right, even with the popadoms and chutneys as I lost 4lb this week :) Very pleased as I only really have a few more pounds to go. Off to market this morning for lots of fresh veg and more strawberries Yummy!!!

Hey, well done N1ck1. 4lbs is a great weight loss.

Strawberries, ah strawberries, the food of passion. Put them with your cereal, mix them with pears and bananas and pour a free yogurts over them. Serve them sliced very finely with pork or chicken or my favourite way, in a crisp, fresh salad. Have them with sugar free, natural yogurt as a free treat or just snack on them all day long.....................

Great News !!! Have found Queso Fresco Batido desnatado 0% fat in Mercadona, just 1.40€ for a large tub.
It is only 46 calories in 100 grams so even if you have to syn it is is very.
Thanks for this info - I looked all round Mercadona & Iceand yesterday for 0% fat Fromage Frais and couldn't find any. But this is the equivalent I think.

Regarding syns - you shouldn't have to take it as one as, according to my book, 0% fat Fromage Frais is a free food.

Last edited:
Thanks Bev !!!

Have just made a big pan of free soup and will put a spoonful in my lunchtime slurp with black pepper sprinked on top of it....yummy.

Enjoy!
I'm on poached eggs on toast today - might even splurge my 2nd HEb (it being a red day) and have some baked beans too!

Enjoy your poached egg, just love egg on toast.

I had cheesex2 with Lidl's sesame crisp breads with beetroot and my soup. I had my cheese from HEA'S and HEB'S so that is all my healthy extras used up.

I am on red so having home made, baked chicken rissoles with new potatoes,( Iceland, I usually have Lidls but these have a better flavour) cabbage and frozen, mixed veg tonight and if I am peckish will have more soup. Finished off with a Mercadona La Pasteleria yogurt and strawberries.

I am loving those Las pasteleria yoghurts. Just had the red fruit one and its delicious.Thanks so much for that tip :D
I do a big load of fat free soup and have it when I feel peckish. I get those veg packs you can buy everywhere, stock cube, seasoning and some coriander, blend and its yummy.
Bought some aubergines at the market yesterday and made the SW moussaka. I added some cinnamon to it and I was really impressed at how nice it was. Some left over for tomorrow too :)

My husband is enjoying the meals too and even though he is following it properly he has lost weight to so must be very healthy.

Nic :)

Try putting some 5 spice paste and a teaspoonful of mint sauce in your soup..........fabulous !!!

I floated a tablespoonful of the Queso Fresco Batido, (Mercadona) sprinkled with black pepper, on top of the soup and it made all the difference.

Bart's Chinese 5 Spice Paste.......Iceland.
Mint Sauce..............................Lidl.

Bart's 5 spice is 1 syn per tablespoonful so in a big pot of soup it is negligible.

The mint sauce is free if it has no sugar in it.

I have resurected this list of free foods most of which we can find here in the areas that have Iceland etc.

Iceland:
Butter basted turkey breast joint
Chicken fillets in gravy
Chicken spears (sweet chilli/lime and orange)
Good choice lemon and blac pepper chicken breast fillets
Good choice salmon fillets in lime and coriander
olive oil and black pepper chicken fillets
Roast chicken breasts in red wine sauce
Sliced beef in gravy
Sliced chicken tikka breasts
Tuna steaks (plain, sweet chilli, smoky barbeque)
Sliced lamb in mint gravy

Birdseye:
Mini chicken skewers in garlic butter marinade
Roast chicken in gravy
Simply salmon in garlic and herb/malted wholegrain crumb
Wild pink salmon in creamy dill sauce

Also try:
Most of the bernard matthews range are free
Heinz spaghetti hoops/meat free ravioli in tins
Quorn sausages/roasts/fillets/burgers
Smash

Weight Watchers:
Mediterranian veg pasta (chilled)
Canned spaghetti in tomato sauce
Chicken/spicy thai instant noodles

Youngs:
Kipper fillets with butter
Salmon in watercress sauce
Hake fillets in fragrant thai/lemon and herb/meditteranian glaze

Enjoy !!!

Thanks Sue, I am just waiting for Iceland to open here! Most of the other stuff I can get in the English shops. When you say Bernard manning stuff free, surely not the breaded stuff???

No not the breaded stuff.

Enjoy the rest !!!

Ah Sue - managed to find those yoghurts on Saturday in a bigger Mercadona than the small one in our village. Both hubby and I were looking for La Pasteleria and just couldn't find them. I was actually stood looking at them and they're called La Pasteleras - was I being thick or what? No don't answer that.
Love them - must just now be careful not to eat them all at once as I have a long journey to go and get some more. hey ho

Ryvita Originals and Dark Rye are on special in our Iceland for 89c which makes them cheaper than Lidls sesame ones.

Lots of BOGOFS at the moment so worth a trip to your nearest Iceland.

PMSL!!! I never noticed that... how funny!

Hopefully our iceland opens in April so looking forward to some bargains as I get through ryvita so quickly.

PMSL!!! I never noticed that... how funny!

Hopefully our iceland opens in April so looking forward to some bargains as I get through ryvita so quickly.

Hi Nicki !!! If you have a Lidl or an Aldi, try there own crispbreads. They are good, free as HEXB and much cheaper than Ryvitas.

I think Bernard Matthews would be quite amused by that !!!

Does anyone know if there are syns in the grated carrot and beetroot we can get here? I love them and miss them in my salad.

Check the ingredients - if they contain azucar (sugar - which I think most varieties do) then YES. If edulcorante (sweetener) then NO.
The beetroot that is still lurking in my fridge certainly has sugar in so I'm avoiding it at the moment. BUT as long as you don't eat the whole jar in 1 sitting then there are probably only 2 SYNS per reasonable sized serving

Last edited:
Thanks, that is why I hadn't touched it because of the sugar. I just wondered if anyone had worked out the syns. Might treat myself now and again. I wont even ask about Alioli!!

I wouldn't if I were you. At 735 kcal per 100g it's lethal !
1 LEVEL teaspoon = that's roughly 38 kcal so 1.5 SYNS.
A heaped dessert spoon (or level table spoon) = thats roughly 150 kcal so 6 SYNS.

Make your own using garlic and Hellmanns Light Mayo. It's only 271 kcal per 100g.
So a heaped dessert spoon (or level table spoon) is just a tad over 2 SYNS.

If you are fortunate enough to be able to get Hellmanns EXTRA Light Mayo then you can just halve the SYNS!

I've tried making it with Spanish light mayo and it is not very good. You really do need a UK or American brand.

Back