Spain free and low syn foods.

Thanks, that is why I hadn't touched it because of the sugar. I just wondered if anyone had worked out the syns. Might treat myself now and again. I wont even ask about Alioli!!

How about buying fresh beetroot and cooking it yourself. That way you know there are no additives.Carrot is so easy to grate or in Mercadona you can buy bags of fresh, grated carrot. I just put a carrot in my food processor.

For aioli I have, in the past, crushed fresh garlic into Fromage Frei, Queso Fresco Batido, from Mercadona. It doesn't come close to the real thing but it is amazing how fast you get used to it. I have also used 0% fat natural yogurt. I always put a pinch of salt in as well.

Thanks for the info Sue! I'm over in about 3 weeks just for a girly week and was wondering about yogurts so pleased to hear about the mercadona ones but gutted about the alioli :(! You've also all made my mouth water with the talk of strawberries - guess what's going to be first on my shopping list :D Now then.......who can tell me where I get syn free beer & wine....... :p

I must admit, most of my syns go on wine :eek: The strawberries are coming down in price and when you are here they will be at their best.
Oooh just talking about them makes me want some. Off to market tomorrow for me :)

Must admit I've moved onto vodka since starting slimming world. It's easy to count - a half bottle is 35 syns and of course UK pub measures are exactly that......measured! My worry is that the friendly local bar owners in Spain will just do the 'one and two and....' measure into my glass and I'll have no chance of keeping track! :p

Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can buy the packs of plain couscous or should I just throw a pack in the suitcase?

Plain couscous certainly available at Mercadona - and of course Iceland.

I am just having breakfast as I read this. It id delicious. I have sliced an apple, Royal Gala, and am using an caramalised apple yogurt as a dip. Somehow it seems more filling that way than to dice the apple and then mix it with the yogurt. That will be followed by a big bowl of strawberries mixed with a sliced banana.

Thanks Mercadona, all my breakfast ingredients came from there.

Couscous is readily available almost everywhere and in a great variety of flavours. I have seen it in Mercadona, Iceland ( one is Ainsley Harriots couscous) Consum, Mas y Mas and Carrefour.

Where abouts are you coming to Chica,

hugs.

We have an apartment on the border of Torrevieja and La Mata :D We've had it nearly 11 years now and I love it - just wish I could spend more time there :cry:

Can anyone tell me if the Green tea - Mercadonas in a bottle in the soft drink section - is syn free.
thanks

Can anyone tell me if the Green tea - Mercadonas in a bottle in the soft drink section - is syn free.
thanks

If it is *sin azucar* it should be o.k.

If you want to post the ingredients I will take a look or failing that next time I am in Mercadona I will look there.

Where abouts on the Costa Blanca are you? We are in Benissa.

Sue
Highly unlikely to be SYN free. Most Spanish drinks have sugar pre-added.
As Fillymum said, if it's "sin-azucar" you'll be okay. Edulcorante is 0 cal sweetener so if it has this, thats' fine.

Thanks Sue and Bev

Just checked the bottle, sin conservantes and sin gluten, but not sin sugar!

ok, for 100ml the cals is 23.6
5.7g of sugar
less than 0.1g fat

Hope I don't have to give up on drinking this!

I live in Los Altos on the Orihuela Costa (10 mins drive from Torrevieja marina) now in my 8th year - and love it here

Spain Get Together

Just posted this on another thread but here goes.

I notice from this thread that there are now a few of us round the Costa Blanca / Costa Calida area.

Anyone fancy meeting up to say hello to each other? I'm up for it. We can could have the occasional "group therapy" session.

I'm near Almoradi - about 20 minutes drive from Torrevieja.

In that case I think it will be 1 syn every 100 mls. It would be much better for you if you can find a sin azucar substitute

Apart from sugar beware of fructose. I am sure I have seen green tea sin azucar. I will look for you next week when I will be in Mercadona, just as a matter of interest, the name is derived from the Valencian word Mercat for market and the word for woman, Dona, Mercadona, I love useless info !!!

What a shame I am so far from you. Perhaps we could all get together one of these days. Bev is quite close to you, so is Chicaconcurvas, Curvy girl, when she is here. I am only about 2 hours from you. It is very do-able.

Although only 1 SYN per 100 mls the bottle will be 340 mls or more! So at least 3.4 SYNS (Hope I'm not doing a grandmother & egg here)

Although only 1 SYN per 100 mls the bottle will be 340 mls or more! So at least 3.4 SYNS (Hope I'm not doing a grandmother & egg here)

With 15 syns a day this sound o.k.

I am sure Circes will check it out for us. She is a whiz when it comes to syns and has always been such a great help to me.

I use 4 syns a day on option drinks and wouldn't be without them.......... the drinks that is.

Looking forward to the new Iceland opening...not that I am there everyday...but it will be nice to have a bit of a change from Mercadona and Lidl!

Looking forward to the new Iceland opening...not that I am there everyday...but it will be nice to have a bit of a change from Mercadona and Lidl!

Our Iceland is a big one and has been a saviour for me when it comes to finding things like Fry Light.

Also after work, if I am really tired, to just use a packet of their frozen lamb slices, with 198 grams of new potatoes, some broccoli and mint sauce is a life saver.

We have a fresh meat department in ours and for extra lean mince I buy a piece of very lean stewing beef and they mince it for me.

Hi,
I would def be up for meeting up, i'm in playa flamenca, just minutes away from suespain in los altos!

I've just been sticking with the iceland foods, easier for me to find out syns values through other people, i walk round mercadona and end up putting everything back cause i'm not sure lol, need to get my head round it all! Loving the fruit n veg from the market though and got strawberries yesterday from consum (at los altos actually lol) they were to die for!!

Hope you all doing well.
claire x

I am at least 2 hours away from you all and we also have a member in Madrid.

I would be prepared to drive over if it is not a weekend.

Linton, Mercadona is a valuable source of SW friendly foods. Just ask if you want to know what is free or has low syns.

Back