Spain free and low syn foods.

Great to find you all, I am so giddy about it.( little things please little minds..lol) The weather Pomette was 53 on our balcony at 2pm on Tuesday. We have cooled down a tad tonight though, thankfully. Thank you for the welcome too. I am still trying to work out whats what on this site. But I have clocked the fact that you are having a fantastic weigh loss. Well done, keep it up.

Great to find you all, I am so giddy about it.( little things please little minds..lol) The weather Pomette was 53 on our balcony at 2pm on Tuesday. We have cooled down a tad tonight though, thankfully. Thank you for the welcome too. I am still trying to work out whats what on this site. But I have clocked the fact that you are having a fantastic weigh loss. Well done, keep it up.
Jeez - was the 53 sun or shade temp? Max it go to here today was about 33c shade but oh so sticky - we are 15km inland and get very little breeze.

Thanks for nice words. Wobbling a bit for the last week. Birthday weekend last week showed a gain on Monday (expected) but I don't ssem to be able to get my head back into gear this week. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Not many people posting on this thread at the mo so if you want to keep in touch PM me. I have a thread (link below) but you won't be able to see it until you have 50 posts.

It was the sun temperature, the shade was a little cooler. Not a lot mind! This aft it clouded over, but that does make it hot & sticky too - and airless. Still, we shouldn't moan, I mean I always say when the customers moan, "Ahem! Why pick an already hot place to holiday at, in August, if you don't like the heat?". However wait until you hear me in winter though Pommette.Umm! I hate the cold (although it's never really freezing cold) You'll need earplugs :)))))))
If you can't gain a bit on your birthday, then when can you? How much did you gain?
I haven't an awful lot to lose, maybe a stone,that I have put on since stopping smoking. It was really, hard to get my head around it too. But, fingers crossed, all has gone well the past three days. The problem is now though, I am on my three days off, from tomorrow. That is the tricky bit.
I shall keep posting (albeit, it's all 'waffle' I write lol) and hopefully soon get to 50.
The best of British for next week Pommette. Keep us posted

I only put 1.25 lbs on - but unfortunately it has continued to rise this week. I've had dreadful toothache and my dentist is on holiday iuntil 29th August! So living on soft (fattening) food as I can't face anything solid, pain killers and alcohol! The latter combination do the trick.

Where abouts are you in Teneriffe? Had a couple of great holidays there in the 70's at Los Christianos when it was still a fishing harbour and very small resort!!! I imagine it is very different now and I'm told it just runs into Playa de Las Americas!

You are all lucky over on the Peninsula. I have never ever seen a fresh raspberry (love love love them) Or a blueberry, here on Tenerife, although, I suppose, on the upside, we do have 2 Iceland stores, with a third on the way, eventually. So much red tape hey? :confused:

We're inland in a very Spanish town so also very rarely get to see raapberries and the like here! They just go to the coastal resorts for the tourists and the ex-pats who just use the Brit shops!

Winter here is cold. We live in an old un-insulated, un-heated Spanish house with 12 ft high ceilings. And we get frost in the Winter. Okay it's only for about 8 weeks of the year but I never imagined I'd have to wear my ski gear to keep warm enough!

Hi !!!! and:welcome2::welcome2:from me as well.

We are in Benissa , Costa Blanca and have been here for 31years.

Yesterday be had to be in Valencia and it was 38 degrees. No where near your 53 :eek:
This forum is what has saved me from myself. It has made losing weight much more pleasurable than it has ever been before and the other members are dolls, male and female ( Look out for Steve , Maximus. Needs watching that one )

Bev, (Pommette), if you have Carrefour near you, I was in one yesterday and they had fresh raspberries and blueberries.

Powla, sorry to be late welcoming you but better late than never.
Lots of great advice and help here, Off Topic is good too.

A food diary is a good idea The link to mine is at the bottom of this.

Any help you need just shout.

Thanks Sue - unfortunately our nearest Carrefour is 30 minutes drive away at Elche and they tend not to stock nice things like raspberries. The one in Torrevieja probably will have them but I hate going there with a vengeance. Considering 70% of their custom comes from ex-pats, they don't employ a single person who speaks any language but Spanish and I've never met such a rude set of shop assistants in my whole life. I translated for someone a few months ago who was in tears as the manager was just standing there shouting at her and being extremely rude. All she asked was where are the toilets!!! and she got a full blown tirade about her stupidy about not being able to speak Spanish or find the signs. He got a full blown tirade back from me!! Got an apology in the end!

Can anyone help with Lidl Rivercote Crispbreads please.
Are they the same syns and HEB's as Ryvita? Have been using the 20 cals per Syn for them but wondered if they were 7 for HEB.
Thank you.

Hi systema - did you realise you're on the Spanish thread?

I've checked SW online and there is no mention of them I suggest you try posting this on the general syns forum.

Hi all,
Thank you for the lovely late welcome fillymum. I too enjoy the site and find you all very inspiring.
Pomette, we too are inland a little. We are about 15 minutes away from the tourist resort of Los Cristianos,which is where I work, just 4 days a week. As we are 'up in the mountains' a little, we tend to be much hotter in summer (hence the 53*c) and much colder in winter.No frost though!
I take it that you are able to speak fluent Spanish too, with the posting that you gave the Carrefour man a blasting. Quite right too. It is a difficult language, to learn, what with all the tenses and everything.
How is the tooth? Is there not another dentist that you could use? However, keep enjoy 'floating' on the painkillers and alcohol, It's got to be cheaper than going to the dentist anyway lol:D

Yes thanks - I did realise I was on the Spanish thread - I bought them in Lidl in Spain and thought that as they were mentioned earlier in the thread (for lunch) someone would know the value of them but thanks for looking on the online search.
Also put them in "search" and it came up with this thread and as I am in Spain at the moment thought it would be the best place to ask.

Last edited:
Plus.. I don't know if anyone on this thread realises, Goods are manufactured to suit the countrys taste. For instance, the Spanish like their foodstuff sweet (and salty) , therefore, Cola lite has different measures of 'sweet(e?)ner' in it, to the English version of Diet Coke.. So just to say, they maybe a tad different, synwise, anyway Systema...

Hi systema - where abouts are you lurking in Spain at the mo?
Are you on holiday or visiting friends? Or do you have a place here?

Hi - on and off visitor to our apartment near to Nerja.
Just started SW but can't get my head round the amount of food to eat, especially green day pasta, rice, potatoes etc but friends have done well on it.

Yes Spanish food is sweet especially bread - never ate bread here except for the occasional french stick until I found Lidls new (to me) bread selection. Never buy processed food so not having too many problems with syns except for the crispbreads!!!
Brought all my books with me so sitting in the sun having a good read instead of sitting indoors in the rain. :cool:

p.s. after reading through this thread went to Mercadona to have a look at the Pasteleras yoghurts (usually make my own) and came away with 2 boxes which have almost gone now.
Makes the porridge take extra good.

Hi all,

I take it that you are able to speak fluent Spanish too, with the posting that you gave the Carrefour man a blasting. Quite right too. It is a difficult language, to learn, what with all the tenses and everything.

The Spaniards themselves do not use the 17/18 tenses The important thing is to be able to communicate.
Eg: Amor

MODO INDICATIVO

-PRESENTE (yo amo)
-PRETÉRITO IMPERFECTO (yo amaba)
-PRETÉRITO PERFECTO SIMPLE (yo amé)
-FUTURO (yo amaré)
-CONDICIONAL (yo amaría)
-PRETÉRITO PERFECTO COMPUESTO (yo he amado)
-PRETÉRITO PLUSCUAMPERFECTO (yo había amado)
-PRETÉRITO ANTERIOR (yo hube amado)
-FUTURO PERFECTO (yo habré amado)
-CONDICIONAL PERFECTO (yo habría amado)

MODO SUBJUNTIVO

-PRESENTE (yo ame)
-PRETÉRITO IMPERFECTO (yo amara o amase)
-FUTURO (yo amare)
-PRETÉRITO PERFECTO COMPUESTO (yo haya amado)
-PRETÉRITO PLUSCUAMPERFECTO (yo hubiera o hubiese amado)
-FUTURO PERFECTO (yo hubiere amado)

MODO IMPERATIVO

-PRESENTE ([tú] ama

I work as an official interpreter, :blahblah:( hospital,SS, the Police) during the week as and when required and after 31 years would never claim to be fluent. I find I am sometimes in a situation I have never encountered before but the bonus is I can always ask for an explanation I understand.
Though I am sure that if you are fluent you have no need of this information and could probably teach me a thing or too:)

Here endeth the lesson !!!:D

What is your work ??

I love the fact that once again this thread has come to life again thanks to you.:thankyou:

Plus.. I don't know if anyone on this thread realises, Goods are manufactured to suit the countries taste. For instance, the Spanish like their foodstuff sweet (and salty) , therefore, Cola lite has different measures of 'sweet(e?)ner' in it, to the English version of Diet Coke.. So just to say, they maybe a tad different, synwise, anyway Systema...

Thanks for that very valid information. I have noticed that our sugar free stuff is sometimes far too sweet. I can handle the salt. I love salt.

The good thing about Iceland is that the majority of the goods are manufactured for the British market and you are so right about the sweetness, the yogurts I buy there have a fraction of the sweetener in compared with the Spanish stuff.

Hi - on and off visitor to our apartment near to Nerja.
Just started SW but can't get my head round the amount of food to eat, especially green day pasta, rice, potatoes etc but friends have done well on it.

Yes Spanish food is sweet especially bread - never ate bread here except for the occasional french stick until I found Lidls new (to me) bread selection. Never buy processed food so not having too many problems with syns except for the crispbreads!!!
Brought all my books with me so sitting in the sun having a good read instead of sitting indoors in the rain. :cool:

I love Nerja it is so pretty with all it's white, white houses when I worked as a guide one of the places we visited was the caves there.

Anyway welcome to Minimins:welcome2:

Mercadona do punnets of Raspberries sometimes , but if there is no one close enough it would be a pain driving aqll that way just to see. But in Spain we do have the benefit of fresh figs that are so cheap I love them, so lets not worry too much about raspberries. I have bought some frozen ones, must have been Iceland.

Thank you for the welcome.
My friend lives in a bungalow quite near to the caves, very nice area.
Now going to take the car for ITV taking my pasta packed lunch with me :eat: hope we can find somewhere to park so we don't have to eat it in the ITV centre.

We have a fig tree in our communial garden which nobody else wanted so we have been eating them most days until our Spanish neighbours came at the weekend and emptied the tree!!!

Hi Powla

Not fluent at all - in fact my Spanish is pretty basic but I get by. I'm told I have a good accent and I understand more than I can speak.
The Spaniards themselves do not use the 17/18 tenses. The important thing is to be able to communicate.
Agree about being able to communice. I struggle with anything but the present tense - sometimes I manage a bit of future or past - but that's it! But I do try.

The big issue for me is the speed at which the locals in our village rattle on at! Most slow down for me and use easy words when I look blank. I asked them all to treat me like a child!

For many of the old folk their first language is also Valenciano !!! humph

How is the tooth? Is there not another dentist that you could use? However, keep enjoy 'floating' on the painkillers and alcohol, It's got to be cheaper than going to the dentist anyway lol:D
Tooth is a lot better thanks. Went to another dentist - who was loathe to see me - but an xray showed nothing wrong. Like me she suspects my ear infection was causing pressure on the tooth nerves and mimicing toothache. I did enjoy drinking the port and brandy though! Good excuse :eek:

Back