Spain free and low syn foods.

Hi Sue (fillymum)

Very observant! No Pommette is just a nickname that derives from my surname. MOH is known as Pommers so I got lumbered with Pommette, which I actually prefer to some of the others that I've been called, so I always use it now as my screen name.

The shortening is a bit "public school" but he got it when he was a big supporter of cricket . . . Jonners, Aggers etc on the radio.

Cheers

Bev

Thanks for the explaination.........

seems reasonable enough lol !!!

Pack of 4 cooked beetroot in Mercadona only 75 cents.

Delicious !!!

This lunch time I had a baked potato filled with diced beetroot and onion with a tablespoonful of light mayo ( lidl) and a salad.......scrummy, yummy and filling. Only 1 and a half syns on a green day. I do mostly green.

why waste syns on food when there's beer to be had

Harrie this really made me laugh.
It's one of my favour quotes except for me replace beer with wine.
Do you have the copyright? Or can I borrow it occasionally?

Thanks Harrie - although he's a she.
A big cat - weighing a whopping 7 kg (15 lb). Her sister is tiny by comparison at a mere 5.5 kg.
Abandoned at 3 weeks old and dumped in a bin - they are adorable even though I say so myself!

I have had a terrible week and really need to get back on plan :(

first fell half way down stairs tues and have managed to break wrist so in plaster (luckily left hand)
second, my hubby had to fly to UK on Wed morning as his mom rushed to hospital (hopefully out next week but needs lots of care)
So feeling frustrated trying to do stuff with one hand and it does limit some things to cook. Peeling veg is a nightmare!!
Off to freezer shop tomorrow to see what I can find tomorrow. Any ideas?
So far been OK today but this is where I need Iceland for some quick and easy stuff lol!!

Nicki - sorry to hear about your wrist, must be a real pain (excuse the pun) not being able to do things and being on your own.

If you can't peel veg, then resort to just a quick scrub on spuds and carrots - healthier for you too. Worried about the water on your plaster? Find a big strong plastic food bag, slip it over your arm and put a big rubber band round the top. You should be able to hold things in your left hand and scrub with your right!

Frozen veg is fine too - sweetcorn and peas on a green day - carrots etc on red.
If you can find fresh or frozen some spinach, here's a quick recipe for Salmon Florentine.
Place spinach in bottom of an oven proof dish, place a piece of salmon on top (get a fillet in Mercadona and get them to skin it or buy a plain frozen one there).
Make a light cheese sauce - milk from ration, 1 oz cheddar [HExB], and some flour/cornflour to thicken (an oz is about 4 syns). Serve with SW chips or a jacket spud and hey presto, a meal without too much hassle and very tasty.
Do you need the recipe for SW chips?

Last edited:
I am so sorry Niki. If I was a bit closer I would offer to come over and give you a hand.

I bought frozen broccoli and frozen cauliflower for the old lady we keep an eye on when she was recovering from her illness. She just pops them in the freezer for a minute or 2 and says they are really good. Of course Mercadona has a really good range of frozen veg, pasta and rice all of which are ideal for SW especially green days.

Red peppers for roasting only need cutting in half and the centers removing, Butternut squash is perfect for roasting with the skin on. The skin is so tasty as well. I often pop a couple of whole onions in the microwave to soften them a little and then roast them. Tomatoes roast fantastically as well.

I think you should be able to get an awful lot that is easy for you in Mercadona and your frozen food shop.

Chicken legs roasted with roasted veg and some boiled baby spuds cooked in their skins could not be easier.

Thanks for that. I have been using freezer bags to keep it clean and dry. Never roasted butter nut squash, will have to try that. I did SW wedges with skin on tonight with chicken drum sticks and found some mixed frozen veg. The boys do help me but not the best lol, at least they are trying!!

Will try that Salmon recipe too, sounds lovely :)

Hi Nicki
You can also do the Florentine recipe with chicken breast and it is just as good.
No need to cook fresh spinach before you put it in the dish. It wilts beautifully in the 20-25 minutes it takes to cook the meat/fish.
Hope your OH gets back soon to help out - apart from my OH, who is an absolute gem, I've noticed "boys" aren't much good when it comes to helping out. LOL
I could send him to you in Almeria to help if you want? On second thoughts, I'd better keep him here otherwise the washing and ironing won't get done and I'd starve !

I got some of the fresh veg to be steamed in microwave from mercadona, reduced to 85c a pack and it was really easy and tasty, so will be having that again.

I got some of the fresh veg to be steamed in microwave from mercadona, reduced to 85c a pack and it was really easy and tasty, so will be having that again.

Thanks Niki I haven't tried those yet but did use their ordinary frozen mixed veg in a soup I was making today.......it is really good. I added red pepper, onion, ppotato and a tin of tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and tomato pure, put the lot in the blender and lo and behold a delicious, cheap, easy, filling SW green day friendly soup.

I am going to Mercadona tomorrow and will get some of the steaming veg and let you know how I get on with them.

Have a German friend coming to help with the hedges and trees on Thursday and he has an enormous appetite. He loves my steak and onion pie. I will do the steamed veg with it for him. He will love it with mash and onion gray....oh yummy.

I will be having a jacket potato and salad whilst I drool over Paul and Sash eating steak pie :sigh:

Well I'm back in the UK but I got my strawberries and even managed to successfully bring a couple of punnets home! :D Unfortunately I didn't find the syn free bread or san miguel and put a pile of weight on :cry: It's not real weight though - just over indulgence so I'm sure it'll come off as quickly as it went on!
many thanks for the tips on the yogurts in mercadona though they were yummy! ;)

Well I'm back in the UK but I got my strawberries and even managed to successfully bring a couple of punnets home! :D Unfortunately I didn't find the syn free bread or san miguel and put a pile of weight on :cry: It's not real weight though - just over indulgence so I'm sure it'll come off as quickly as it went on!
many thanks for the tips on the yogurts in mercadona though they were yummy! ;)

Pleasure curvy girl !!!

I have just had a huge bowl of strawberries with one of the yogirts poured over them. Yummy !!

Hi Sue brill idea are the yoghurts the ones with the bits of pie in them hope they are free but i told that they are 3 syns each please please let them be free they are so nice

I have just syned them online with the calculator and I too get that they are 3 syns!

Oops sorry girls posted on the "syn value" section as I was getting syns for lots of free things like Muller Lights, turns out I wasn't using the drop down box for the "free allowances" on the calculator, so now I know how to use it they come up free!!! Had my first one the strawberry tart one, yum!

0% Batido from Mercadona - 100g is 46 cal - anyone know if this would be syn free or 2-3 syns per 100g

Back