Spangly's tough love slim and save bootcamp!

Spangly - It's really interesting to hear what you say about impatience and anger at yourself. That doesn't sound like your rebellious child to me but more like your critical parent. The one that tells you what you should be doing, how everyone else does it better and how much of a failure you are. Your adult knows that this isn't true but your critical parent can be a strong influence and is always proven right if you listen to it because it's the one that makes you want to eat!

Clinquant - It sounds like you've been doing a lot of thinking about why you have eaten the way you have. Personally I think we all stand a better chance of beating this thing for good the more thinking we do about why and what we could do differently. It's tough being that honest with ourselves and keeping mindful - but it's well worth the effort. Hope you are feeling better today and that the yoga went well. I do pilates on a Monday evening and absolutely love it.

Thanks, guys. I love how everyone on this thread is so thoughtful and wise re this whole weight management milarkey.

As usual, things feel better after a good night's sleep. Got a nice couple of days ahead with very few meetings so lots of time to actually get things done! Am planning to get caught up with the jobs I put at the bottom of my list usually. My boss is travelling this week, so I will still get emails and phonecalls from him but because of the time difference my mornings should be my own!

I'm laughing at myself a bit because I've realised part of what I was allowing myself to get upset about yesterday. It's like my body's going: I've lost 15lb. FIFTEEN POUNDS! And you're saying that's not good enough? What more do you want? Should I just chop off a leg? Would that satisfy you? Eh? Gimme a break! I can't shed pounds any faster so you're just going to have to be patient. Wait, let me spell it for you: P A T I E N T.

(Which is something I could do with getting better at!)

Have a fab-u-lous day, everyone - and best of luck to anyone weighing today!

I totally agree with you on this you sound like me! I want everything achieved by yesterday! I've lost 4lbs this week which is 1 stone 12lbs in 5weeks and in like that's crisp should be way over 2 stone because I have lost over that before in my first month but seriously I need to give my head a shake! I've achieved loads as have you they are fabulous losses :) well done to you, me and everyone else out there for our accomplishments so far :) we are all getting there nicely :) just think how much lighter we will all be by Xmas if we keep going the way we are :) xx

Morning all,

Some v thoughtful and thought provoking posts which is entirely what I need.

I agree with you totally weasey re trying to establish why I ate the way I did, which was with very little self control and what I can do to change my thought processes towards food. Before VLCD I ate even when I wasn't hungry. If I'm totally honest I never ever let myself feel hungry unless it was totally out my control. So in a strange way I'm embracing the hunger I'm feeling just now without panicking and it feels good to be in control.

My goal for this week is to prepare what I'm going to eat the next day with precision. Then if anything isint on my list I just can't have it. Simple. No inner conflict. Just no.

I think a VLCD although not for some, is for me. It's making it easier as I have limited my choices and can only have allowed foods. That being said I know it's not forever and the harder work, especially psychologically will be maintaining for me.

Anyway I'm getting way ahead of myself. So here's to a good day 2 for me, and to all you ladies, where ever you are on your plan. I'm hopeful all your staying power, positive attitudes and mind over matter approach will spur me on.

Last edited:
You're right, weasey - it IS my critical parent. Funny how it's clearer when someone else points it out to you. Spot on!

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I'd like to thank Spangly for starting this thread! It's great to have a place where we can talk seriously about our issues with food and get support and great ideas from each other. So thanks to Spangly and to all of the rest of you who have contributed. :)

Hear, hear! It is definitely helping me.

After fretting that I wouldn't have the energy for yoga, it was really brilliant and I feel much better than I have for ages. Lost a lot of tension in the shoulders and feel really relaxed. Also had a little try on of a couple of things when I got in. A few promising things that will fit very soon.

Time is starting to go a bit quicker too. That's day 17 of 100% for me.

Thanks, guys. I'm really pleased so many of you have got into the spirit of the thread. It's great to have this 100% group!

Can you all be gentle with me today please as I'm discouraged by my weigh in. STS this week, which was probably to be expected after last week's spectacular glycogen loss, but oh my goodness, the crooked thoughts are almost deafening!!!! Help!!! This is where it gets difficult. The euphoria of that first week loss has worn off and the reality of the weeks ahead has properly dawned on me.

I'm sure another 100% week will yield good results but part of me is really disappointed and wants to use that disappointment as an excuse to cheat. Well that ain't gonna happen! But how do I sort out my head??

Last edited:
Those thoughts are totally normal but they are crooked. If you had known at the beginning that you would lose 15lbs in two weeks you would definitely thought that was worth 14 days of 100%. That's amazing more than 1lb a day. The number today compared to last week is something we have just constructed and our thoughts have made it mean so much. Just get through today an hour at a time if necessary and keep busy. As you say another week of 100% will probably yield a big loss. We know that long term it's foolproof and if we keep this up we will be where we want to be by Christmas. Just keep away from the triggers and have your four packs. Eating is tempting but it's the road to chaos - this way is a much better way to look after ourselves for now. Give yourself more time to think it through and deal with the chaos at a lower weight after you've had more time to plan it. But for now, keep it simple and get through today.

That's your nuturing parent talking. The one that wants to comfort you and make you feel better. Could you spoil yourself in other ways today? A lovely hot bath? Some time to read a book? Some time to yourself? Going clothes shopping? Talking to friends? Having a facial? Getting your hair done? Going to a spa? Whatever floats your boat. If you could find just a little time today which is just for you and when you do something you enjoy for yourself your nuturing parent will be satisfied and you'll be happier.

It's natural to be disappointed even though your adult is telling you all of the right things. Look after yourself - spoil yourself if possible and know that you are worth more than food could ever give you.

OMG - I am SOOOO hungry today. I've just had to have my lunch pack having fought against it for quite a while. It is definitely physical hunger too. Could I have knocked myself out of ketosis? I've put on 0.5 lb so far this week too even though I feel smaller. Oh well - just have to carry on. I'm a bit worried about the 2 hours of skating tonight though!

Thinking of treats, these are my plans. Last time based on the money I spent on coffees, lunches, wine and eating out, I put £5 a day away in a pot. I realise this is a bit trickier with a family when you are still shopping for them. At the end I got to spend it all on clothes and treats. I decided this time to make a list of treats for each 5 kilo. It included an amazing moisturiser that I tried in SpaceNK which made the skin on my hand really plump up and I could still feel the benefits hours later. Well today this arrived in my inbox the New Season Beauty Edit Gift Bag |

I decided I would buy the moisturiser and a scented candle that was on my list then a bit of advanced Christmas shopping to make it up (I already have £90 in the pot for 17 days) I will give the gift bag contents to my work colleague to dispense a little something to me each week of 100% or if I really need a bit of a boost. I'm not awash with money, but if I wasn't doing this I would be spending the cash on carbs and takeaways that made me gain weight, so it feels like a valid indulgence. Until the clothes start fitting I am going to use this to keep me going.

Have a good day everyone and here's to the non food treats and just being kind to ourselves.

That's a great idea Clinquant! What a lovely way to treat yourself! I treat myself all the time so I don't have a deficit in that area... I'm good at spoiling myself - my special skill set ;)

Weasey your post updated at the same time as mine! I think we can still have a hungry day even in ketosis. I wonder if it's the exercise - I can understand you not wanting to give it up but something to think about. This landed in my inbox and I have to say I agree based on my experience. I love the feeling when I'm exercising regularly but I think it is more to do with wellbeing and flexibility than it is about the weight loss. I did the Moonwalk last year - a marathan walked overnight in your bra, in case you haven't heard of it. I thought with all the training I would lose weight but I gained because I was permanently ravenous.

I am getting better at spoiling myself. When people used to ask me to suggest non food treats, I would look at them as if it were an impossible conundrum but I'm improving! :) When you do your maintenance book, I think there should be a whole chapter on looking after ourselves without food.

Hmmm - that's an interesting thought. I have cut back on my exercise but what I'm doing/have done this week is:

Sunday - 2 hours roller derby training - skating but also learning skills so it's not 2 hours of skating (if that makes sense)
Monday - Bokwa class (didn't intend to do this but bumped into a friend at the gym who pursuaded me...) and a Pilates class
Tuesday - rest day
Wednesday - 2 hours skating
Thursday - rest day
Friday - not sure yet - probably some core and strength at the gym
Saturday - possibly a class or a rest day or some swimming - depending how I feel

So yesterday was a rest day - could the hunger be from exercising on Monday?! Do you think I'm doing too much exercise? I've stopped the spin classes and I'm not doing any cardio when I'm doing my own thing at the gym. I'm reluctant to cut back further because I enjoy it. It's one of the things I do to spoil myself (can't imagine me having written that a few years ago!).

Good ideas for treats. I'm not very good at doing that for myself (though a lot better than I used to be, pre-LL).

How are you feeling this morning, weasey? I hope a good night's sleep has knocked the hunger pangs on their head. Can you still do your exercise but maybe reduce the intensity slightly? Easier said than done though, if you like the endorphin rush of a good cardio workout - but might be worth it to not trigger hunger? Interesting article re the intermittent exercise dampening appetite as well. Thanks for posting that, clinquant. That fits in with Mark Sisson's primal approach as well.

I'm pondering ideas for how to maintain longer-term. I think I put myself off paleo/primal by being too "100%" about it. In so many ways it really suited me. I just couldn't get my head around giving up *food group a* and *food group b* (just remembered in time that there's no food talk on here! My rules lol!). But even Mark Sisson suggests taking an 80:20 approach. Maybe it's just the whole "lightening up" I could do with working on?! Maybe taking this seriously from a health perspective of course, but not so seriously that I forget to enjoy life!!

Had a notion this morning to go to the coast this weekend - not to stay but for a day trip. It's likely to be bright but crisp - lovely autumn weather - and I have an urge to walk along a beach somewhere all wrapped up in a warm sweater, with my family. Just want to get away from humdrum routine - and get outdoors! Now to find somewhere flat enough to take the wheelchair...

In a much better place today. Still irked that my waistband is tight, but plugging away at the packs and the water and keeping the faith :). Also had a bit of excitement yesterday as I found an amazing job advertised online and ended up applying for it. Very very exciting. But then the agent got back in touch to say they are at final interview stage this Friday :confused:. Wish they'd taken the advert down (there wasn't any closing date on it). Mind you, he did say he'd call me on Monday if they don't fill the post, so I guess there's still an outside chance they might consider me - and at least that's another headhunter who now has my up-to-date CV. Just reached a point with work where it's just not going anywhere. I've done everything I can think of to improve things in every way in which I'm empowered to do so, but fundamentally the structure is going to keep on frustrating me. So time to look forward and find something else. I also realise I miss all the pre-press and InDesign/Adobe side of production - this role is much more dry than I'm used to. We shall see what transpires! Wish me luck!

Going to the coast sounds like a lovely treat! Hope you work out a good place to go.

I think maintenance is a journey. It's about trying different things and seeing what works for you. I felt like I was holding on by my finger nails for a long time - lots of control and slips and control. I tried lots of things and I don't think it really mattered what it was. It mattered that I was getting there. Eventually I got to a point where is wasn't about control anymore - but just about the way that I lived. If I'd tried that particular approach right at the start though I doubt it would have worked for me. I think it was the journey which I needed to go on rather than finding the end point.

I decided not to go to skating last night. Perhaps I'll keep it to just Sundays for the next few weeks and see how that goes for me. Not particularly hungry now - but then I've not long had breakfast. I'm off to have a filling replaced at 11 so I doubt I'll be too worried about food today!

How exciting on the job front. Having made the decision to look for something is a big thing! Good luck with the hunt and I hope you find something exciting and fun.

So happy that the weather looks good for the weekend. Feel I didn't have a chance to say goodbye to the summer (there's a song in there somewhere!) I shall probably have a trip to the zoo. Bought my other half membership for his birthday last year and it's due to run out, so we'll have a last visit on Sunday.

I've been thinking a lot about the maintenance thing too. I definitely think that, as we can hack a vlcd even if we struggle in the real world, we are not undiscipined or greedy. I think the chemistry of sugar plays a huge part. So my long term plan will definitely be low carb and I agree re the 80:20. I'm also considering retrying the 5:2 approach and seeing where that gets me. It didn't work earlier this year but I think that was because I didn't forego the carbs on the non fasting days. I'm also not going to resist using packs to deal with blips while I am learning. I felt very strongly before that I 'shouldn't' have to and although I managed pretty well it wasn't always sustainable. It's not just the quick weight loss fix but the headspace and calm to review what's working well or not. Another source of shame for me is that I qualified as a nutritionist about 10 years ago but I guess knowing what to eat is only a very small part. It does feel a long way away for me but I know that time will go quickly. I also have to face Christmas first. At the moment I am thinking about eating exactly what I did in 2008 when I was half way through Route to Management for Christmas day and boxing day and being 100% the rest of the time. I know that won't throw me off physically as I ate that way for the two weeks over that Christmas and lost 4lbs but I will have to assess nearer the time if my head can cope with getting right back on it. Especially as I will be at a weight where I start to feel better and the wardrobe opens up.

Good that things are moving on the job front Spangly. Even if this one is a no go, it is getting your cv out there and I think always better to be 'in action' where something doesn't feel right.

Hope I haven't influenced you unduly on the exercise weasey. After doing yoga this week I feel so much better. My arm strength is absolutely rubbish though, so I need to do a few push ups at home this weekend to try and improve.

A bit introspective today but hopefully my singing tonight will take me out of my own head a bit.

Workwise I've also asked my boss if we can discuss options when he's back from the US. I would prefer to stay with the company really but can't keep on in my role as it is. Maybe something will come up through that.

An completely knackered today. I slept ten hours last night and could have slept longer. So tempted to have caffeine but I will resist. I think I just take on too much. At least I don't have my 110-mile round trip commute today as I'm working from home.

Somehow I've convinced myself that sns isn't working, but I'm sticking to it regardless! I know my weight tends to come off in 'chunks' (!) so I keep hoping it will be better news next week. I want to work on not over-reacting to information. The weight is what it is. I don't have to upset myself over it.

Back