Spice Rack.........

RScothern

Ok. So i need a new spice rack but really dont have much to spend. Any ideas on where to look? Also what are the basic spices or herbs you would recommend? I only really use garlic, can't stomach cinnamon or ginger but other than that am happy to try most things!!!! Plan on getting a few each week until I have a good selection!
Any advice welcome........:sign0009:

It is not a good idea to buy spices until you know you are going to use them. Don't just get them to sit on the shelf - they don't last for ever, the taste and sometimes the colour deteriorate over time. They also need to be kept reasonably cool and in the dark. Glass jars in open spice racks near the cooker are the worst place to keep them. As far as dried herbs are concerned, I know lots of people use them but I can't stand them and always use fresh or frozen.

I also tend to use fresh herbs. Love the flavour they give. Maybe try a new one each week or so, doing a few dishes with that certain herb in. My fave is basil, it's soo versatile, love it in pasta, with chicken, in burgers/meatballs. maybe try eBay for a rack, dried herbs are good to use when you don't have the real thing. X

Spices

Here is a old picture of my spice rack, now much bigger! All racks made out of reclaimed wood from old bed slats & bamboo garden sticks!
I also grow as many of the herbs as possible.

Spice Rack (Small).JPG

mine are all in a basket, in the jars they came in. we buy paprika and cumin in bulk and decant them though, but the rest of the bag we put in the freezer as this preserves the flavour longer.

I have a basic one but I have a massive over flow, I used to buy as I needed as the recipe required .. Of you buy the supermarket home brands they are cheaper! I don't think you can beat fresh basil and corriander ... They are my fav but I can't keep the damn things alive longer than a plant lasts lol :/

Back