Splenda

Poppy03

Silver Member
Am I missing something here. I see that lots of people mention Splenda in recipes so I had a look for it. Our products | SPLENDA
I see that it has 391 calories per 100g as opposed to 389 calories of grandulated sugar. It has 97.7 g of carbs per 100g and granulated sugar has 99.6.

I can't see what the benefit is. Could someone please advise.

The amount of sweetness from 1tbsp of splenda is so much more than in 1tbsp of sugar, so less is used. Also the weight difference is massive, so 1kg of sugar only takes up as much space as 75g of splenda, and they last the same length off time.

This means 1tbsp of sugar has 15g of sugar (58.65 calories), while 1tbsp of splenda giving the same sweetness may have 2g (7.78 calories). So big difference to satisfy a sweet tooth!

Last edited:
This is what DD says about the use of sweeteners, "As far as I am concerned, I see no reason at all to deprive people on a diet who particularly like sweet tastes." He mentions Splenda in his book as well. Like anything else, you cannot overdue it either. :)

I for one need the sweet. My favorite dessert is just plain 0% greek yogurt with splenda...mmmm :D

Well that makes more sense! Thank you. Does it have that odd after taste that you get with sweetners? I can't drink diet coke or any other diet drinks as I really dislike the taste. Never a huge fizzy drinker but always had full fat when I did.

Well that makes more sense! Thank you. Does it have that odd after taste that you get with sweetners? I can't drink diet coke or any other diet drinks as I really dislike the taste. Never a huge fizzy drinker but always had full fat when I did.

Well, to be very honest, I have always hated diet drinks. Just couldn't stand the after taste. I was just accustomed to having real sugar so nothing was going to taste as good. Now, after not having sugar for nearly a month, I'm very much liking diet colas now. My favs are Pepsi Max and Coke Zero.

If diet drinks aren't your thing, that is ok. I also like ice tea with lemon or water with lemon.

Splenda seems very sweet to me and doesn't have a bad taste after, now I have tried Stevia and that doesn't taste as good. One day early into Dukan I was having a MAJOR sweet tooth, so I decided (unwisely) to dump a packet of Stevia right into my mouth. :eek: Oh my I cannot tell you how horrible it was. It was almost bitter..ugh. Lesson learned. :p

That does sound truly disgusting - lol. My issue I guess, is that it isn't natural. I try so hard to have what I call 'proper' food, we grow most of our food at the allotment and I try and cook from scratch most days. I do,however, take Vit C tablets for my health and they have a sweetner in them so perhaps I will see about grinding one up and putting it in yoghurt or something. At least I can justify that.

Have you tried Stevia? Although I wouldn't recommend doing what I did (dumping in your mouth :D) it is a natural product. Do you have it over there? In the southern U.S. it can be grown outside, but I'm in the north so it's not an option. The plant's leaves are quite sweet so you can use them to sweeten a drink, like tea. You can buy the product in a powder or as a liquid.

I have looked that up. Lots of interesting information and I would be tempted to grow it, in a greenhouse of course. I am pretty sure I have read about it somewhere before. I dont think it is licensed here, not gone through the tests according to the Food Standards Agency.

I have 2 stevia plants that I have just acquired. The leaves are very sweet and chewing on wasn't unpleasant - not sure what to do with them now though :)

Back