Squash or courgette as pasta alternative?????

Zebs07

Dance the positive spin..
Help ... And it's ok, I do realise how much of a Doh Bird I sound!!! :-0

but ... how do u make the substitute pasta ribbon spaghetti stuff from courgette or butternut squash etc! I can't find much online about it - any advice anyone? Should I cut it into ribbons or slice or chunk or wedges - before or after cooking - how to cook it - and as if those questions weren't bad enough - do you use the insides or just the rind/skin bit!!!

Ok - I now nervously await responses and I doubt a fair bit of well deserved teasing (or brutal slagging off lol)...

Vanessa

Ps: any other suggestions as what and/or how to use as pretend pasta welcomed... (I am looking forward to trying butternut squash mash - am thinking of maybe mixing in with a bit grated carrot and quark - go me huh Pmsl)

Never done it but I imagine you do the squash by cutting it into long fingers and running a veg peeler down them to make the ribbons. Might try it myself actually!

I've just had spaghetti bolognese tonight with courgette spaghetti instead of pasta. Even though i'm on stabilisation now I still prefer my courgettes to spaghetti. I use a mandolin to cut mine as I think it would take ages to cut up with a knife but a peeler sounds like a good idea if you don't have a mandolin. I cook mine quickly with a spray of frylight, garlic powder and black pepper.

Try shirataki noodles! You can have them on all stages of the diet.

When I have them with meaty bolognese it really does feel naughty. Just do a search on the forum because it has been mentioned a lot. A few times by me. :)

The last time I bought them I ordered them on line from lowcarb megastore. But you can find them at a Japanese supermarket if you have one nearby.

Haha at the mandolin - I do have one! But not the kind u mean lol. Never heard of a mandolin cooking utensil - need to google methinks! And the noodles, they sound great - will google them too for suppliers.

Ooh, thanks so much folks - am getting excited about trying new things. I really can't believe I'm saying that lol.

* *. *. *

Edit
I've just googled - I've got something that looks like a mandolin but didn't know that was what it was called DOH! In fact I've never used any fitment except the cheese grater lol. Time to rake thru back of cupboards lol

I'm too scared of slicing my fingers with the mandolin (and prefer not to buy Japanese shirataki noodles since the nuclear leak!)

For courguette spaghetti, I just take a normal veg peeler, and peel away the green skin (and discard), then continue peeling until it will peel no more (I chop the remainder). Then 1 min in microwave and voilà. Tagliatelle :)

The shirataki noodles I bought were made in USA, so unless there's something going on with pasta of mass reduction, should be ok!

Do be careful with those mandolin things, can so easily take top of finger off with the veg - my mum did that on one occasion just before Xmas, casualty doctor thought she meant the musical instrument and couldn't figure out how..lol! (fortunately it was ok afterwards, spectacular in the bleeding department at the time)

When I'm using mine I always use an oven glove on the hand I am slicing with, works a treat much better than the cumbersome guard that came with it

Lol @ noodle-gate!

Can't wait till tomorrow now to try squash mash! Then the next pv day, I'm gonna do courgette ribbons with bolognaise!

Loving the fact it's just one minute in microwave for the courgette pasta - I really wanna do it tomorrow but am midst-coooking a whole chicken so wanna finish that before starting on the mince lol - mmmm to the mash with chicken and green veggies tomorrow! Be like a Sunday dinner - just on Saturday lol ...

Atropos said:
My mum bought me a vegetable spaghetti maker for Xmas
Lurch Spirali: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home: Lurch

It's weird, but fun - can't wait to try it out (when I can haul it out of storage in Feb)

Oh wow I very nearly got carried away and pressed buy there - thankfully stopped in time. I think I at least need to experiment and check I actually like veg pasta first ... Lol. However I remain sooooooo tempted.

You shoulda stored yours at my house meantime! Lol

Last edited:
Given that the "noodles" come from the root of a plant... Each to their own, as you say.

Source
The glucomannan noodles come from the root of an Asian plant called konjac (full name amorphophallus konjac). It has been nicknamed elephant yam, and also called konjaku, konnyaku, or the konnyaku potato.[5]
Shirataki noodles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I understand why you have this concern, I really do, but I think it's important to put the risk into context.

The average dukaner wishing to give shirataki noodles a try would have to consume 3.5kg of contaminated noodles in order to experience the same radiation exposure as a single x-ray.

As far as the UK Food Standards Agency is concerned food produced outside the 11 prefectures of Fukushima, Gunma, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Miyagi, Yamanashi, Saitama, Tokyo, Chiba, Kanagawa and Shizuoka is considered to pose no risk to human health (statement as of 30 December 11).

Food produced within these 11 prefectures is subject to stingent radiation testing and sampling both before leaving Japan and upon arrival in the EU.

[More info here...Food Standards Agency - Feed and food from Japan]

Once again, Maintainer, I respect your decision to boycott Japanese food imports (I seem to remember you saying you are not fond of shirataki noodles anyway) but thought it was inportant to paint the other side of the picture so dukaners can decide for themselves. :)

Atropos, I bought the ice cream because of u and love it!
I will be waiting for your thoughts on this new device!

Atropos, I bought the ice cream because of u and love it!
I will be waiting for your thoughts on this new device!

It's in my sister's house until feb - i just couldn't fit it my case to come home. But her 4 year old loooooooved making very very long and curly cucumber worms.

Back