Squidgy Chocolate Cake

ohhh :-( was really looking forward to making it tonight but to be honest i dont know now if i want to waste 6 eggs if i end up hating it ......

right what kinda cocoa are you guys using? coz i made it with 1 oz of sweetner coz of past posts saying it was too sweet ....and its totally bitter .....we are talking the unsweetend baking cocoa arent we???

I used the Tesco own brand cocoa, and all the sweetener, which was almost a full jar of the Tesco sweetener.
I took the cake to work and everyone loved it. It certainly wasn't too sweet. It was really lovely and everyone said so too, and have taken the recipe.

right so ill stop listening to other peoples opinions and try the original recipe first :) well as mine was too bitter i have now wizzed it in the mixer with the sweetner i left out before baking :) and used it as a cheesecake base and made a quark cheesecake topping its chilling in the fridge now and will hopefully (fingers crossed) be abit like a chocolate cheesecake with 11 syns for the whole thing....ohhh sooo looking forward to checking it in the morning lol

yes I definately think you need all the sweetener, as the original recipe is 5 oz of caster sugar, which I work out to be about 2oz of sweetener. I use an american brand cocoa powder (obviously because I live overseas) and the stuff is perfect for brownies, so perhaps thats why mine were not bitter like some of oyu have described.

You could substitute half the cocoa powder for flour, but it will add a few more syns (I think).

If you serve it with some fresh strawberries or sliced banana and then 4 tablespoons of light squirty cream (Just 1 syn). It is delicious and really helps those sweet/cake cravings.

I didn't use all the sweetener just because it seemed a huuuuuge amount (like Malaika said - nearly a whole jar) and I wasn't comfortable using so much (for some reason sweetener still scares me a bit healthwise!) but it does need the 2oz as mine wasn't sweet enough, although still edible!

mines in the oven now. thinking it may be a disaster as i couldnt get my egg whites to "peaks" by hand. so it was just kind of like bubbly egg whites! then i put the mixture together in the wrong order. It looks good in the oven though so hopefully will be ok!

I made this recipe this weekend and it is lovely. Makes loads. For me, I need a bit more sweetner ad the 4 tbl of granulated splenda was not quite sweet enough, but am going to make it again this week to take to class. It is lovely and chocolatey! Luckily hubby hated it! LOL It looked odd on top when it was cooked, not sure if that's normal. If you are using splenda, don't weigh 2oz on the scales, go by what it says on the side of the box/bag. I think 2 oz was like 4 tablespoons which wasn't enough splenda in the cake for my liking. I will add probably one more tablespoon when I make it tomorrow.

x

Last edited:
mine was nice but really chocolately in a bitter way and not sweet enough but that could be the crappy tesco sweetner (used the whole bottle!!) ill try it again with a better sweetner and a bit less cocoa

I made this yesterday! My first cake since doing SW. Its really sweet & chocolatey, was a little dry so I had a little natural yogurt with my slice which finished it off nicely.

I made this recipe this weekend and it is lovely. Makes loads. For me, I need a bit more sweetner ad the 4 tbl of granulated splenda was not quite sweet enough, but am going to make it again this week to take to class. It is lovely and chocolatey! Luckily hubby hated it! LOL It looked odd on top when it was cooked, not sure if that's normal. If you are using splenda, don't weigh 2oz on the scales, go by what it says on the side of the box/bag. I think 2 oz was like 4 tablespoons which wasn't enough splenda in the cake for my liking. I will add probably one more tablespoon when I make it tomorrow.

x

no it is 2oz in weight of sweetener. The original recipe using 5oz of caster sugar, which is about 2oz of sweetener.

no it is 2oz in weight of sweetener. The original recipe using 5oz of caster sugar, which is about 2oz of sweetener.
Sorry!! Good lord that would have been sweet! I weighed out 2oz of splenda and it was loads and would have been way too sweet (for me), so I looked on the side of the box which said 2 oz splenda = 4 tablespoons. I made it again last night, and used 5 tablespoons of granulated splenda and it was perfect. Am taking it to SW so will see what they say LOL. Everyone has different tastes on sweetness.

Back