Squidgy Chocolate Cake

Woo hooo - bumping this up as it looks fab ! :)

I must admit though, I am a bit scared about using so much sweetener !

some have used half the sweetener I suggested and found it okay. The cocoa powder I used was US branded so quite strong stuff and definately needed that amount.

The original recipe I converted was double that amount of normal sugar. So I just halfed it because of using sweetener instead.

This looks yummy! With regards to the chomlete comment is it eggy? I don't like eggs so not convinced about a chocolate omelete lol

Mine was nothing like a chocolate omelette, but I think it will have a lot to do with the quality of cocoa powder you use. Do not use anything like options or drinking chocolate. Has to be pure cocoa powder.

Ooooh that looks good. I have just made some free ice cream so I will make this to go with it. The recipe is basically a souffle that you have let go flat on purpose.....what a fab idea......

I've just made this and it's in the oven. I liked the idea of not having to wash a fiddly cake tin, so have made into buns. Also will limit me somewhat in the amount I eat...as although it's very low syn, I don't want to eat too much sweetener or get an even sweeter tooth!!!! Will let you know how it tastes xxx

I used bournville. Dunno what it tastes like yet though!!! Fingers crossed xxx

I didnt like it :(

It was far too strong and bitter. Tried it with quark and options...still didn't like it :(

so annoyed...why am I so fussy?

X

I used tesco cocoa powder. It does have a bit of an after taste, but for 9 syns I'm not complaining! You could try adding some vanilla, orange or mint extract to take the edge off?

I made mine with green and blacks cocoa which was very rich/bitter..... I used 1oz of sweetener and added 17g of sugar, so that took the total syns to 12. It was nice but I needed to add some fromage frais on top to go with it. I was glad it was very slightly bitter and not overly sweet as its meant that I could restrain myself from eating it all in one go :) Thanks for the recipe Britmum :)

OMG, I'm so excited about trying this recipe!! I love how everyone has different opinions on how theirs have turned out, haha, hope I can join the people who loved it!! I luuuurve choccy cake!!

I just made this. Do be VERY careful not to let the egg yolks go too thick - I just managed to rescue mine by using the egg white mixture to loosen it up while I was mixing in the cocoa.

I used Sainsburys cocoa powder. I actually only used half the sweetener - I only had 40g of sweetner in the house, and hadn't thought it mighn't be enough (2oz = 58g!!), so I only put in one ounce. For me that was fine, as I prefer my chocolate somewhat 'bitter'.

The cake itself was lovely. Didn't taste eggy at all, and the texture felt like a really light victoria sponge! For my next piece I'm going to have it with vanilla yogurt and strawberries - I think it will be delish!!!!

UPDATE....
Other Half, who is a chocaholic like you wouldn't believe, really loves this cake - I bet it'll all be gone by the time I get home from work tonight (he gets in 2 hours before me)!!!!

Last edited:
I made this on Friday, it was lovely, I made a filling by mixing 1/2 tub of quark with 1 1/2 sachets of the white chocolate & raspberry options, it was lovely, it disappeared pretty quickly!

Back