Stanford Study

Thankyou for posting this.

I had read details of the research a while ago, so it was especially interesting for me to see the lecture :clap:

A very good informal presentation. Highly recommended watch :)

That was excellent! Thanks MissAma.

I loved it as well. I think it goes to where other studies are afraid to go while being friendly and candid. The guy is absolutely adorable. Sure sometimes he entertained less than intelligent questions but I guess that sort of extreme open mindedness goes with being intellectually honest enough to be a vegetarian praising Atkins. :)

Sadly it has been so good I am drowning with feelings of guilt as I am considering betraying my Cambridge "till death do us part" in favour of the less silly "till right before maintenance" and thinking what is the right way to veer towards weight management on Atkins in lieu.

Jim you'll be sick of me in no time with all the silly questions!

KD - We spent the weekend reading about weight management (the mister is moving up the Cambridge plan as he's done losing and I've taken the opportunity to insist he needs to school himself). One of the best reads of the weekend has been your "worrying news"/"set point" threads as I think they are some of the hardest pillows to swallow for reduced obeses (and yours trully future reduced :)) but it's sinking in.

The solid principles of no intuitive eating (we'll be focusing on creating a weekly meal plan habit), low calories but more importantly low carbs (whether Atkins or a modified version of it, still the same principle) and of course, remembering that we need 20-30% more exercise or less eating than "normals" are non-negotiable if you ask me :)

Sure sometimes he entertained less than intelligent questions but I guess that sort of extreme open mindedness goes with being intellectually honest enough to be a vegetarian praising Atkins. :)

Yes, I agree. And he just seemed so down to earth. Showed how complex the whole thing is, especially when it comes to research.

I loved the fact that he mentioned volumetrics which is another interest of mine, and a method that most traditional diets follow without actually mentioning the word 'volumetrics' :D

There was one little thing that I disagreed with him about. It was only a short mention. Something about drinking. Can't remember the exact words but how the body doesn't take calories from drink in the calculation. He included milk, and from everything I've read on the subject milk is treated separately by the body and is calculated for. It's all the other drinks :D

But still, I think it was more of a passing mention rather than anything else.

One of the best reads of the weekend has been your "worrying news"/"set point" threads as I think they are some of the hardest pillows to swallow for reduced obeses (and yours trully future reduced :)) but it's sinking in.
Glad you enjoyed the discussion. It's fascinating isn't it, but knowing about this research has helped me stay sane through maintenance.

remembering that we need 20-30% more exercise or less eating than "normals" are non-negotiable if you ask me :)
I certainly feel that exercise really helps in maintenance, but personally, I'm a strong believer that exercise I do is not primarily to keep my weight down.

I move more because it's a part of my lifestyle. At this stage, I don't do anything to control my weight.

That doesn't mean I can eat freely, just that my mindset is in a different place. I don't go for an extra walk to burn calories any more than a teen boy footballer goes to play football to stay slim. I do it because I want to and the other benefits I get from it.

If I ever move back into exercising to burn x calories per hour, I'll know I've lost the plot and maintenance will probably become a whole load harder.

Fire away, I'll be happy to answer, as will everyone else. Try shutting them up on the Atkins board. LOL

Back