Starting Atkins tomorrow

ThinLizzy

Wants to be a yummy mummy
Hi Guys

I am starting Atkins tomorrow, I have done it once before, a few years ago, and it was all going very well, lost about 10lbs in a short time, but then I moved house and stopped it all out of convenience at the time.

I have still got lots of KetoStix in the cupboard that I just found, so looks like I am all set to go.

I just have a couple of Q's....if anyone could answer them would be most grateful....

Are you allowed Mayo on induction?

Are there any sausages you are allowed?

Are you allowed diet coke/other diet sodas?

There is a baked cheesecake recipe in the atkins cookbook that I have that is 3g of carbs per slice, would I be allowed this on induction?

Are you allowed onion?

How many days on average should it take to go into Ketosis? like, when should I start peeing on sticks??

Thats all i can think of for now, thanks guys!!

Wish me luck!!

Hi hun - i just started today!! so lots of the stuff is fresh in my head

Are you allowed Mayo on induction? - yes you are there is a limit though i will need to check website - i think its 2tbsp

Are there any sausages you are allowed? - i think you are allowed mattesons sausage - they are the lowest carb i found - i think most sausgaes have hidden sugars so be careful

Are you allowed diet coke/other diet sodas? - yes but each one counts as 1g carb i think - and your not meant to in induction as you are meant to emiliminate all cravings - caffeine/sugar etc

There is a baked cheesecake recipe in the atkins cookbook that I have that is 3g of carbs per slice, would I be allowed this on induction? ..... i dont think your meant to have things like this in first 2 weeks- but im not sure

Are you allowed onion? - yes

How many days on average should it take to go into Ketosis? like, when should I start peeing on sticks?? ........... i think carbs are out of your body in 48hrs so between 3-5 days i read you go into ketosis

good luck hun!! let me know your menu plans i would be grateful for any ideas!!

gabrielle x

welcome and good luck x

lizzie

i just checked and onion is 2.8g per quarter cup - US measurements - kind of like tea cup size

also u seem to be allowed diet soda - unless you are highly addicted to caffeine then should not have it

look on the atkins website their is a PDF to download x

One of the best bits of advice I've picked up here is that shallots are much lower carb than onions, and spring onions (scallions) are lower still, so if you can use those instead in your cooking you save a few carbs.

Diet sodas mostly contain citric acid which can stall some people - trial and error is the best way to find out.

There was a whole thread on here about everyone's favourite low carb sausages, I'll see if I can bump it! My faves were always The Black Farmer low GI sausages... Many's the time I've spent aaages reading the sossies packets in supermarkets, looking like a mad woman. :D

Good luck with the switch!

Sainsburys do quite low carb sausages, I get the taste the difference pork sausages 0.9g per 100g I think. I have found hellmans mayo to be the lowest carb so far, I have only really compared it to sainsburys own brand though so not explored other stores own brands yet. I eat onions nearlly every day and have lost 10lb in just over 2 weeks so they are not a problem for me. If you want coke I would go for coke zero this seems to be the best option for atkins. Hope that helps.

Welcome and good luck :D x

Hi Lizzi,

yes LM found the sausage thread. Welcome

Welcome!

I tried Black Farmer sausages last night and have to agree that they are lovely! They are only 1g carbs each sausage. I found them in our small Asda on special, 3 packs for £6 (same price as Asda's own Extra Special which are higher carbs).

Ask any questions you want to as everyone is really helpful and Jim is the "guru".

hi welcome. coke zero is the best fizzy drink to have. there are lots of sausages out there that have 1 carb or less per sausage.
you must also drink lots of water. at least 2lts a day

thanks heaps guys you all seem really friendly and helpful :D
Jim your weight loss looks fab from your photos. well done!
xx

Asda's own brand of decaff diet coke is citric acid free too. Not as nice as Coke zero but a quarter of the cost!

Must agree buy all there diet stuff mega and the diet mixers ie tonic orange and cranberry LUSH

Not a pop fan but as you say its 1/4 the price cokes over priced

Hi and welcome. Can i just add that most of us on here are following the old atkins were onions are not allowed on induction so as to save confusion. Sainsburys also have a diet coke with only a trace of carbs and no citric acid. If you havent drunk any in a while you wont know the difference! Good luck.

Back