Starting daily cals?

trimNslim

Silver Member
Hi all! Happy new year!

Just a quick question. I've just reset all my stats on mfp as I have regained a lot of the weight I had lost, and now it's saying my daily cals should be 2800. That seems a lot? I just wondered what others thought? Is that too much or am I way out with my calculations? I was originally going to start at 1800 but decided to up that to 2400 based on some very good advice on here (thanks Tracy). Is 2800 too much though?

Hi all! Happy new year! Just a quick question. I've just reset all my stats on mfp as I have regained a lot of the weight I had lost, and now it's saying my daily cals should be 2800. That seems a lot? I just wondered what others thought? Is that too much or am I way out with my calculations? I was originally going to start at 1800 but decided to up that to 2400 based on some very good advice on here (thanks Tracy). Is 2800 too much though? Thanks :)

Hey xx mine says to have 2400 to lose 2lb a week but I'm aiming for a top number of 1800 and then I have room to move for little treats etc.

2800 is a lot but we have a lot to lose so I guess it gives you scope to lessen the daily intake as you lose.

Try a day of having 3 good meals and some healthy snacks and see how you feel on it and work out the cals and perhaps make that your number.
You will probably find it hard to eat healthily and make anywhere near 2800. I'd end up eating junk if I was to make that number x

Hi,

Absolutely no. 2800 is probably about right for a 2lb a week weight loss. That said, until you hit the teens in stone you could probably aim for a slightly higher loss - maybe 3lb per week which would give you a calorie goal of 2300 per day, so I'd aim to hit a mimimum of 2300 calories each day with 2800 as your upper limit.

It's not hard to hit 2300 calories per day if you don't eat 'diet' food. Enjoy full fat mayo, yogurts, cheese etc (while you can!!), have a daily chocolate or crisp fix if it won't send you into a binge.

My biggest piece of advice is don't go from one extreme (a diet where you're putting on weight) to the other (cutting out all 'bad' foods). It's not sustainable, make little changes at first.

Hi, Absolutely no. 2800 is probably about right for a 2lb a week weight loss. That said, until you hit the teens in stone you could probably aim for a slightly higher loss - maybe 3lb per week which would give you a calorie goal of 2300 per day, so I'd aim to hit a mimimum of 2300 calories each day with 2800 as your upper limit. It's not hard to hit 2300 calories per day if you don't eat 'diet' food. Enjoy full fat mayo, yogurts, cheese etc (while you can!!), have a daily chocolate or crisp fix if it won't send you into a binge. My biggest piece of advice is don't go from one extreme (a diet where you're putting on weight) to the other (cutting out all 'bad' foods). It's not sustainable, make little changes at first.

Thank you for your advice! You were spot on! I've averaged at 2400 per day and it's going well so far. Not had wi yet but feeling positive!

I totally agree with making little changed first. That's why I'm focussing on the good side of things to start with before tackling exercise too.

Thanks again :)

Back