Starting exercising

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Summer, 8 July 2009 Social URL.

1. Summer

Summer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.83%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Hello,

I am on a diet once again!! I never exercise and I'm not very active, quite lazy infact. I'm 22 years old and skint so I can't afford to go to a gym or to swimming.

What should I start off doing?

Today I went for a 2 hour walk, I walked 5.5 miles. I will probably feel it tomorrow but I'm feeling fine today.

Is that too much to start with? should I slow down and do less then do more over time?

Thanks

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

Register a free account with MiniMins and join in the conversation!
  3. SarahSez

SarahSez Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(43.51%)
    Diet:
    Rosemary Conley
    Depends on the type of walk! A stroll is of little benefit, power walking is a bigger help. Which is why people come off their holidays saying 'I can't believe i put on weight, we walked everywhere'; what they did is leisurely stroll and that doesn't burn many calories. However, any exercise is better than no exercise!!

I'm no doctor or fitness instructor but i would think there should be no problem walking that far.

HTH

4. Summer

Summer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.83%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    Thanks!

I was walking a bit quicker than normal but it was not power walking. I think I will do the same walk every 2nd day and try and beat my time so then I'll obviously will have to be walking faster.

5. SarahSez

SarahSez Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st1lb
    Current Weight:
    9st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st11lb
    Lost(%):
    7st6lb(43.51%)
    Diet:
    Rosemary Conley
    Excellent idea

Good luck xx

6. harrop87

harrop87 Member

Start Weight:
    20st3lb
    Current Weight:
    20st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st3lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    get a gym ball about a fiver a brilliant

7. sugar_lipswales

sugar_lipswales Silver Member

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    What you should do is work a little bit of interval training into your walk, walk normally for a few minutes then speed it up to a fast walk (or run if you can) for say 30 seconds. This gets your heart rate going up and down which will burn fat faster. You will feel a bit knackered at first but as long as you're not doing too much it's all good!

8. Justin

Justin Banned

"What you should do is work a little bit of interval training into your walk, walk normally for a few minutes then speed it up to a fast walk (or run if you can) for say 30 seconds. This gets your heart rate going up and down which will burn fat faster. You will feel a bit knackered at first but as long as you're not doing too much it's all good! "

...such good advice it needs repeating!

Good luck Summer

9. sugar_lipswales

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Thanks Justin! A personal trainer from my gym helped me out a lot, he could see I had determination but just needed a little direction. He still donates some of his time to me even though he has a lot on, I've learned so much from him and cannot begin to thank him. I hope you can help people on here as much!

10. ChristieK

ChristieK Queen of Cats

Start Weight:
    12st13lb
    Current Weight:
    10st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st11lb
    Lost(%):
    2st6lb(18.78%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    WW PP
  11. Summer

Summer Full Member

Start Weight:
    11st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(6.83%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I went on the same sort of route today, I walked down to the beach and once there I walked for a bit then I jogged for a bit then walked for a bit. I was using the lifering stands as my markers would jog past two then walk to one, jog past to then walk to one. I was really out of breath but I know its worth it. Came home and had a nice fruit bowl which I made up earlier, now I got my feet up.

12. sugar_lipswales

Start Weight:
    21st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st10lb(36.73%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Now I bet you feel better than if you'd just walked the whole way?

13. Beatle

Beatle Member

Diet:
    Pete Cohen's Weight Loss Programme
    I think walking is a great way to start. I also love my gym ball and bought an exercise dvd which has been more than worth it

14. judimac

judimac Mad old Bat with Attitude

Start Weight:
    14st5lb
    Diet:
    WW
    There's a plan in the new Slimming World magazine which is taken from Running Made Easy. It's for 10 weeks and gets you up to run/walk for 40 mins and takes you up to about 5k, perfect for charity runs. It looks do-able even for me!

15. Nealoren

Nealoren New Member

re

i am computer graduate so i have sitting more in front of computer .so now i noticed that day by day my weight increases , i am not comfort at that time .so as mean time i am searching about site netpharmaworld which made product weight loss.so i buy one packet of medicine from netpharmaworld and take a medicine as per customer suppoert of netpharmaworld say.In two week i feel better. today i am very feet because of this medicine. and one thing i am regular do exercise.so if you have same problem please start exercise