Starting out all over again

jfc

Silver Member
Hi

I was here a while ago (few years back, too many to remember). Anyway, I am now in the position of needing the help only this place can give. I am 53, menopausal and fat. I have gained quite a lot of weight and whilst I would like to blame it on my hormones I think the real reason is more in my fridge/freezer/larder/mouth/stomach!

So this is day one. I weigh 14 stone..ish, not weighed in as my scales are not working. I was about 13 stone 12 when I last weighed in and have gained a little more since then so I will use 14 stone as my start weight. I want to be 10 stone by Christmas so I need to lose 4 stone in 6 months, the only diet I know that will give those results is a VLCD, having been there before and got the T-Shirt so to speak.

I recently watched a BBC documentary about these meal replacement diets and was impressed that the medical professionals all said the diet had been given a bad press, even saying that people tended to keep to a lower weight after following a VLCD than a traditional diet. I did maintain my weight loss for a long time before regaining after a lot of stress in my life (break up of a 28 year relationship, death of my father, my mum being diagnosed with cancer and alzeimers, she has sadly since died and many other things that had me gain weight and I am ashamed to say, take up smoking at the age of 50) Then there is that other thing...the Menopause, and whilst I cant blame it all on that, it definately has made losing weight harder.

So here I am, starting out and today I have had all 3 meal replacements from Exante and its not even 4.30pm so a long night ahead. I will post my thoughts and losses along the way. Hope everyone else on there own journeys are doing well, it would be nice to meet some people with a similar goal and amount to lose.

Lots of great support on here, and your goals are definitely doable. You’ll need to keep up the water and just power through the first week though I’m afraid - after that lots of people here will help you I’m sure. They helped me.

Thanks FullFathom, I got through day 1 OK, although I did wake at 3am and start craving toast and marmalade with milky coffee....then I remembered I cant have it, just in time (and luckily an empty larder so couldnt have had it if I wanted it). My daughter is also following this plan so we are trying to keep each other motivated. I know the first week is the hardest so will just try to get to the end of it without straying!

I arrived at work to be greeted by a colleague who had just returned from a 2 week cruise, she came over hugged me, thanked me for doing her work while she was away and then said "here, this is for you, for doing my work while I was away" - she handed me a M&S box of Belgiam cocoa dusted chocolate truffles! - Luckily the use by date is January 2019 so if I keep on track I can allow myself one a day in the New Year (thats if my other colleagues dont pressure me into opening them as they will scoff the lot...which is maybe not a bad idea.

I am having a bad couple of weeks, last week I buried my dear mum, who sadly passed away following a battle with Ovarian Cancer and Alzeimers, she had a lovely woodland burial and it was very emotional. This Friday I am going to my friends mums funeral in Shrewsbury, his mum passed away the day before my mum and we are sort of mirroring each other with grief.

My mum would be proud of me losing weight so I am going to carry on in her memory (although I am also doing it for me!)

Anyway, just wanted to leave a daily update, will check in tomorrow after i get through Day 2 :)

Have a good day all

How are you getting on ?

hello all, sorry for not updating. A wedding and a few other occasions got in the way of my progress, I gave myself some days off and restarted on 26th July. so

weight loss so far:

4th June - 14 stone
came off the diet before next weigh in
new start date 26th July - 13 stone 9 - not sure how I lost the 5 pounds but I was trying not to overeat
1st weigh in: 2nd Aug - 13 stone 5
2nd Weigh in: 9th Aug - 13 stone
3rd Weigh in 16th Aug (just now) - 12 stone 10

total of 13 pounds lost in 3 weeks but in total I have lost 1 stone and 4 pounds this year, another 2 stone 10 pounds to target. I found a really awful photo showing my rolls of fat last night but as I am pulling a weird face not sure whether to use it as my before photo, but it really does show the fat I had all over me at the start and its really going down well now in fact my son commented on it, he said "mum, look at this photo, you are so much slimmer now, and it was only taken in June" I may show you guys on here but have to block out my face as its the sort of thing if someone I know found they could use it to taunt me. Hope you are all doing well

ok, I will post it as it may give you a giggle, and before anyone asks that's not my normal face I was cheering up my adult son after he was poorly and the naughty rag rut took a photo of me. Ignore the face, but oh my god, look at my rolls of fat, all 14 stone of them...I will take another photo today in a similar position (without the face) later today and you can see me at 12 stone 10.

me.l.jpg

I don't know why my son felt inclined to scrawl Jen across the photo in green felt either

Congratulations on your success - and that your mum knew you were getting so slinky. Sorry for the tough time you've been having too.

hello all, sorry for not updating. A wedding and a few other occasions got in the way of my progress, I gave myself some days off and restarted on 26th July. so

weight loss so far:

4th June - 14 stone
came off the diet before next weigh in
new start date 26th July - 13 stone 9 - not sure how I lost the 5 pounds but I was trying not to overeat
1st weigh in: 2nd Aug - 13 stone 5
2nd Weigh in: 9th Aug - 13 stone
3rd Weigh in 16th Aug (just now) - 12 stone 10

total of 13 pounds lost in 3 weeks but in total I have lost 1 stone and 4 pounds this year, another 2 stone 10 pounds to target. I found a really awful photo showing my rolls of fat last night but as I am pulling a weird face not sure whether to use it as my before photo, but it really does show the fat I had all over me at the start and its really going down well now in fact my son commented on it, he said "mum, look at this photo, you are so much slimmer now, and it was only taken in June" I may show you guys on here but have to block out my face as its the sort of thing if someone I know found they could use it to taunt me. Hope you are all doing well

Well done you !! I can’t wait to be in the 12s!

July 26th - 13 stone 9
Aug 2nd = 13 stone 5
Aug 9th - 13 stone
Aug 16th - 12 stone 10
Aug 23rd - 12 Stone 6
Aug 26th - 12 stone 11!!!! - I know not an official weigh in date, but I felt slimmer jumped on the scales and it told me I have gained 5 pounds

July 26th - 13 stone 9
Aug 2nd = 13 stone 5
Aug 9th - 13 stone
Aug 16th - 12 stone 10
Aug 23rd - 12 Stone 6
Aug 26th - 12 stone 11!!!! - I know not an official weigh in date, but I felt slimmer jumped on the scales and it told me I have gained 5 pounds
Have you any idea why the scales have gone up?

You look fantastic in your photo, well done:0clapper:

Sorry for not updating for so long. The weight has continued to fall off I am pleased to say. I am now in a healthy BMI but not quite where I want to be. I have lost just shy of 4 stone since July and I am pleased with that but as I am on holiday on 11th December I am hoping to lose another 2-4 pounds so if I do gain I don't get too heavy for my return as I want to wear lovely things this Christmas to the partys etc .

This was me in September 2 months after starting my weight loss journey
slim pic.jpg
, I have since lost another stone and a bit since it was taken and you can see I'm still self conscious of my stomach fat as I have my bag in a strategic place lol

This is me more recently, eating a Nandos with my daughter, plain chicken and ratatouie it felt like a treat despite no chips etc...
nandos.jpg

Back