Starting tomorrow - any advice? Anyone else starting?

Caz

Repeat Offender
Now that my birthday celebrations are out of the way, I'm free to start Slim and Save tomorrow morning. Any top tips for a newbie like me? I've done a VLCD before but just not Slim and Save. I know I'm going to struggle with getting enough water in, I always do!

Anyone else starting tomorrow?

caroline g said:
Now that my birthday celebrations are out of the way, I'm free to start Slim and Save tomorrow morning. Any top tips for a newbie like me? I've done a VLCD before but just not Slim and Save. I know I'm going to struggle with getting enough water in, I always do!

Anyone else starting tomorrow?

Put ice in your water, use a straw, drink tea/coffee, always have a bottle next to you and keep sipping it. It's so important you have it. How about getting the water flavouring?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Agreed keep a litre sports cap water with you at all times, have one for brekkie

Keep drinks you like at hand, tea and coffee, peppermint tea, for a treat coke zero

Have veggies/protein prepared to nibble or add to meals, try to make your first few days easy as possible

Try to delay your first pack as late as possible, will make the evenings easier

Keep checking in and ask questions

Good luck hun Xx

Guess this wouldn't work for everyone but I started taking a 500ml bottle on the bus to work with me and aimed to drink it before I got there, after about a week I realised I was drinking it before I got half way there so I've take a litre bottle and am just about finishing that now... Makes me feel less stressed about getting too much down when I'm busy at work... I'm drinking about 3 litres a day now!

Good luck :)

Not done that well with water yet, had about a litre I think. Need to do better!

Slowly and steady, at least four litres and you'll be on track

Hope your days been ok Xx

I've got no chance of drinking four litres a day!!

To be honest, 3 will still be pushing it but I can probably work my way up to that but I know for a fact that I won't be hitting 4 a day. Not sure 4 a day is really needed as minimum is it? I'm a teacher so I can't just keep drinking throughout the day, I've got break and lunch but I end up running around a lot during that time. Even if I could drink in class, I'd end up needing to go pee all the time! I've got an 800ml sports bottle which I fill in the morning and try to get through at least two of those a day. I've got a bit slack on that front lately though, only had one today and a cup of sugarless tea. Normally I have sugar or sweetener but I only had tablet sweeteners at school so didn't put anything in it, was surprisingly ok.

3 is the minimum

I can't leave my desk much during the day but manage ok

You will get into the water habit, before this diet I only sipped water to take my tablets!!

To be honest, even 3 would be a real struggle for me. I can go all day and then suddenly realise at 7pm that I've not drunk anything sometimes! Had 1.3 litres so far today, will try to do at least another 1 before I go to sleep. Will try to increase it bit by bit.

Had the spicy spaghetti for dinner today and the lemon, yoghurt and white choc bar on the way home. Oh my goodness how nice are they?! The spaghetti felt and tasted like a real meal, will definitely be ordering some of those. The lemon bars too, much nicer than the praline one I had yesterday thankfully.

Day 2 and I've still been 100%, starting to think maybe I can do this after all!

I struggled with the water and chose to add sugar free squash- yes some people find citric acid kicks them out of ketosis but it didn't for me. Perhaps wait until you're in ketosis until you try it, you'll soon discover if it is right for you or not.

Until then get it down you any way you can. Peppermint tea, nice big cups of coffee, coke zero, other citric acid free pop (supermarket own brands sometimes do them).

You could also try eating veg high in water like lettuce, cucumber and celery. Add a little soy or vinegar or add it to your meals.

Some of the meals I found better with more water than the 'recipe' suggests, this could increase your fluid intake too.

So the people who've said 4 litres minimum are actually wrong, it says maximum 3.5 litres. I knew it said to aim for 2.5-3 litres but didn't realise there was a maximum or that it included the water you add to packs. That takes me up to about 2.7 litres today then I think. Anyone know why there's a maximum water intake?

Water intoxication. Too much water in too little time dilutes the electrolytes in your body. The cells swell with water including those in the brain which leads to a number of side effects, the worst being death.
The body can only process so much water per hour. Drinking 3.5 litres in an hour would be considered dangerous but over a day the body easily uses it or disposes of it.
I only drink when I'm thirsty and this usually exceeds 3.5 litres a day. I have an active job though and exercise every day. If you don't do much you won't need much.

Too much water can indeed kill you. However, most people in good health can process 0.9 litres of water in an hour so it isn't likely to be a problem for most of us... In my time on the diet there does seem to be a direct correlation between drinking more water (within reason) and losing more weight.

Ah so it's probably just them being on the safe side? I know people who drink more than 3.5 a had, my boyfriend drinks 4 a day at least usually without really trying. Wondered if it was specifically because of the diet that they said that, guess in the days of health and safety they have to cover their backs.

I've seen lots of people say that about water actually, if they drink plenty, they have better losses. Definitely a reason for me to try and drink more, it's not easy though! Had a sneak peek on the scales this morning (I know, naughty!) and have to say, I'm very happy with things so far! Think I might pack them away now though, want to try not to weigh myself again until my trip to Amsterdam when I'll come off plan for a few days in about 5 weeks.

They are definitely covering their backs. But also some people's kidneys may not be in perfect health and I assume that the level of function varies a bit from person to person so I wouldn't suggest that you drink anything like the full 0.9 litres every hour! I drink 5 to 6 litres a day, but I have always been a big water drinker. In fact I'm not on the diet now (maintaining) and I'm still drinking 5-6 litres a day!

Hi! I've started today so only a couple of days behind you. Trying to drink as much water as possible but already peeing like a trooper! LOL Good luck!! x

Last edited:
5-6 a day?! That's beyond impressive! I've had 1.6 litres so far today, plus the 200ml in my soup. Filled my 800ml bottle now and going to make sure I drink that tonight so combining everything I should hit 3 litres. That's pretty impressive for me!

Welcome Flossie, see that was your very first post! How's your first day been? I was up 3 or 4 times after I got into bed last night needing the loo, we'll get used to it though.

Back