Starting xenical and confused

violet71

Hi all,
Back to MiniMins after a long break, Ive been prescribed xenical by my GP today and Im scared and confused.
I feel I dont know enough or understand about it. I know I have to follow a low fat diet, so does that mean I eat similar to the way I eat now but chose all low fat versions? Is it possible to have a treat (choc) and not get the side effects?
Any help would be really appreciated.

Xenical works (and doesnt work) differently for different people.

I tried it for months but my doctor said basically because I was doing WW there wasnt enough fat in my diet for it to work. I think it works in a lot of cases as a deterrent, keeps you low fat, just incase.

Having said that I tried it with fatty foods and all sorts and it never made a blind bit of difference.

Just dont be disappointed if it doesnt make a difference, I thought it was going to be a miracle aid and speed up my weight loss - and it didnt

Thanks Sandy, Im dreading this but I have to do something as Ive been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and Im desparate to make this work.

ditto!!

Hello
My thread was going to be exactly the same as yours, i have just been prescribed xenical too!
I am also very scared, i've heard all of the scare stories and im quite worried about it!!
I know you have to follow a low fat diet, but thats about all!
Are there any success stories out there?
Is anyone on it at the moment?
Thanks
Emma

I've tried Xenical and i found it didn't work for me. But i know a couple of people who it's worked wonders for. It gave me wind and also a desperate need to go to the toilet. I could pass wind at first as i was worried i would poop!

My friends cut out all fatty foods amd did really well on it. Check out the various internet sites and there are probably support groups out there for people using Xenical.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Hi,
Thanks for the replies, Emmie Lou when are you starting yours? Im going to start Monday as I have a busy weekend coming up and dont want to be worrying!

Hi there :)
I've been on Xenical since April last year, and so far so good, although my weight loss has slowed to a steady loss of about 1lb per week :)
Food wise, the food you eat should be no more than 5% fat ( ie, 5 g of fat for every 100g of the food), and also your meals should have no more than 15g of fat per meal.
Xenical have a fairly good website ( this is their site Login), you can also register with them for support from their own nursing staff ( they phone you about every 4 weeks at the start, plus you get freebies sent to you too).
Xenical though is like Starlight says not a miracle pill, its an aid to losing weight and you still have to do the hard work :)
xx

Hi Ali,
Thanks for replying, you are such an inspiration, you have done amazingly!
Can you answer some more questions for me? I cant seem to find any other forums that cover "real people" on xenical.
Ok..If I eat something "bad" how long will it take to affect me?
What do you do if you are asked out for a meal?
Can you still eat chocs and crisps? I know I will cut these down but Im wondering does it mean I can NEVER have them again?
What about alcohol, Is any better than another?
Sorry about this, Im just so pleased to have found someone!!

Hi Violet :) I've never really found any forums either ( except for the peeps that are on here :) ). I've only known one person in *real life* that has been on Xenical and that was my mum.
I've no idea how quickly any side effects would kick in, I've always been too scared to eat something that was too high in fat grams lol. I'm still wary about eating out, but it can be done. You need to be aware of things like cream sauces, salad dressings, how things have been cooked ( like if they've been fried). Don't forget that even though olive oil is healthier for us, Xenical will not distinguish between good fats and bad fats :rolleyes:. When I've been out, I've had things like pasta with tomato based sauces.
Chocolate, well I've not eaten a bar of chocolate, but I buy weight watchers chocolate brownies and weight watchers belgian choc slices. Weight Watchers frozen desserts are handy to have in the freezer too. Crisp wise, well again I dont eat regular ones, but I do eat the odd bag of Walkers baked crips. They are slightly over 5% fat, but I've found as the occasional treat they're ok. And alcohol I cant help you with as I dont drink :D I think though obviously things like spirits are fat free, so like a voddie and diet coke would be ok, but dont forget that alcohol is just empty calories lol
Good luck, and just holler if you need any more help :D xxxx

Hello
Im not sure when i'll start on the tablets, although it needs to be pretty soon as i have to go back to my docs in a month!!

I have done some research but to be honest ali's advice has been the most helpful so far- so thank you Ali!! :)

Im going to find it really hard as im a really fussy eater, which is part of the reason im in this state!!
Can we join ww while on these tablet?

You certainly can, although my doctor did say he thought the fact I was doing well on WW was part of the reason they didnt work for me, WW isa low fat diet, so theres a limit to how much fat you can get rid of. But even if it doesnt make a big difference I know several people on here who stick with Xenical, almost as a deterrant against them going off the rails.

Having said that when I was on it I had no nasty side effects no matter what I ate, and believe me I tested it ;)

Hi Julie,
Welcome!
This is my second week on the tabs now, and I lost 4lb last week!
Ive found it fairly easy tbh, have you rang the MAP helpline?
I put the detailsmin another xenical thread further down the page on this forum.
Today is the first day Ive had the dreaded orange oil, but it wasnt too bad, Ive no idea why as I ate low fat yesterday.
Please keep posting on here with your progress as theres not many of us and all the support we can get the better for us!

Ignore my ticker, I've lost the log in! I've now lost just over 4 stone on xenical. It's been easy as I've stuck to low fat options, exercised and set up a group of others in the same situation.

Just keep to the RDA of fat and eat loads of fruit and veg.

Good luck Bunny x

Hi everyone, I have started on Zenichal today and i'm excited too :) In a nutshell I have learned to eat no more than 15g's of fat per meal and try to eat no less than too (to keep me regular, drink plenty and exercise :)

Good luck everyone!

Hi Julie,
Welcome!
This is my second week on the tabs now, and I lost 4lb last week!
Ive found it fairly easy tbh, have you rang the MAP helpline?
I put the detailsmin another xenical thread further down the page on this forum.
Today is the first day Ive had the dreaded orange oil, but it wasnt too bad, Ive no idea why as I ate low fat yesterday.
Please keep posting on here with your progress as theres not many of us and all the support we can get the better for us!

Hello, well done, thats brilliant news I bet you are over the moon. I have not phoned the MAP helpline, can you give me details how to find/join!

Have you had any loose moments, where you thought you might not make the loo, thats the bit im a bit worried about.

Look forward to chatting to you more.

Julie. :D;)

Hi i was prescribed xenical 2 years ago now. On my 1st week i dd well, but had one doghnut, andthe next day i was walking to the toilet and i felt loose stools!!!! it was disgusting. orange yellow fatty watery stools, that were everywhere and I didnt even feel it! I was lucky i was at home. But i came off them that day. My mum did lose a few stones with them. But i always remember that greasy/fatty ring roud the toilet pan when she had been in there. Dont want to put you off. Better to know exactly what to expect

Well Mrs DD that just goes to show you cant have your cake and eat it!
They do say it is not a miracle tablet, we have to put the work in too.

Julie, about the MAP pack, you need to call them to register.
You'll need your box of xenical tablets to hand, as they ask you the serial number.

The phone number is:

0800 7317138
They send you a food diary out, a helpful booklet and a tape measure.

Good luck Julie, and if you want to pm me please feel free!

Well done BB and good luck KayMarie!!
BB is the group you have set up online?

Hey Violet the groups a real life thing, i asked my local chemist to give my card to anyone on Xenical and a few contacted me, then more. i eventually gave them to the GP direct, we're about 12 strong now and supporting each other each day, one day at a time.

As to the dreaded orange oils, I've had it once of twice and I've certainly deserved it! You're so right you CAN'T have your cake and eat it!

With regard the oil around the toilet, if ANYONE in my house left ANY trace of themselves in the toilet there'd be a high price to pay! Even my 8 year-old knows to let me know if he's left traces of his motions behind.

It's NORMAL to have oil in your bowel motions while on Xenical so do what i do, leave a bleach spray in the loo and give it a spray BEFORE you flush, all oil, gone!

Bunny x

Back