Starvation Mode

Discussion in 'Very Low Calorie Diets' started by sarah010982, 6 December 2006 Social URL.

1. sarah010982

sarah010982 Member

Hello:)

Can someone explain to me why the body does not go into starvation mode on a VLCD?
    I always thought that on a starvation diet(where the body gets less than 50% of the calories needed) lead to weight loss at first but then the body started storing its own fat supplies as it didnt know when the next meal was coming.

Do VLCD`s work because they have all the correct vitamins etc in them? Would a low calorie/low carb diet not work so effectively?

xxx

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. olijames

olijames Member

Diet:
    LL-SSing
    Im not sure the startvation mode is avoided altogether on vlcd...love to hear what people have said. There's some similar stuff/questions on Last stone mission thread..may be worth a peek!

Good luck....

4. Isobel1965

Isobel1965 Gold Member

Hi hun = have a look at the ketosis thread - it explains why the body doesn't go into starvation mode. In brief - the vlcd packs have carbs in them to protect your lean muscle tissue and they're nutrionally complete formula foods, so you get all of your RDA vitamins and minerals. You can't do that on less that 1500 cals a day of food.

HTH

5. sarah010982

sarah010982 Member

im confused!:confused: so does that mean that for your body not to go into starvation mode it has to be in ketosis?
    Just cant seem to get my head around it all!!

xxx

6. sarah010982

sarah010982 Member

Thank you for your replies...I think I am understanding it a little better now!
    xxx

7. bettyboo

bettyboo Silver Member

Diet:
    Cambridge
    My pharmacist told me that if I didn't drink my three shakes a day that the body would go out of ketosis and into starvation and store fat - the metabolism would slow down to almost nothing. I would be malnourished etc.425 calories seems to be what the body can live on without this happening. Sorry for being so vague.xBettyboo

8. Ivy

Ivy Silver Member

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.