Staying focussed through bad times

positively_purple

I've just found out a few days ago my dad has cancer and am devastated. I've been totally off plan...in fact I've been eating the cupboards out without a second thought. Part of me wants to give this my all and the other part is reeling.

Anyone any ideas on how to get my act back together? And ideas how to stay on top throughout the worrying time I have ahead of me?

I weigh in on weds so I've a few days to attempt to pull any damage back :-(

Oh I'm so sorry to hear that, I went through the same thing last year and had exactly the same reaction as you, to eat everything in sight, which along with some other big and stressful life changing events going on at the same time resulted in me putting 1.5stone on! Big hugs x

What I can recommend is taking a bit of you-time to sit and think about how this news reaffirms your desire to get fit and healthy - as being at an optimum weight and eating a healthy diet are some of the best ways of preventing cancer yourself. But also don't be too hard on yourself, and recognise that you do use food as a comfort and that if you slip off the wagon occasionally when you're having an emotional day it's not the end of the world, as long as you pick yourself back up the next day when you're feeling more positive, and get straight back on plan.

Hope that's of some use, and all the best wishes in the world for your dad and his speedy recovery xx

I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad, I can't even begin to imagine what you're going through; I really wish you all the very best.

As far as motivation to stick to SW goes - its very admirable that you want to stick to plan, Slimming World promotes such a healthy diet that will give you the energy you need for your family right now but also by sticking to such a healthy food plan you are actually reducing your own risks of cancers.

Try not to be too hard on yourself, you've had devastating news, you're allowed to feel heartbroken. Again I'm so, so sorry to hear your news.

Most of my weight was put on from a lot of comfort eating when my father died two years ago. I found myself ordering so many takeaways because I didn't want to run into people who knew me while shopping, and sometimes I couldn't bear the thought of cooking, so I would eat a packet of crisps from a 10-pack all day long to stive off the hunger! Most nights I couldn't sleep, so I ended up drinking mountains of Coke and piled on about 3 stone!

I was in denial about my weight for a very long time, and made some small attempts to try and lose it over the course of the year I admitted I had a problem. But sitting down and thinking to myself that my dad's condition was hereditary, congenital (I could have been born with this) and could be triggered by a diet high in fat led me to suck it up and do everything I could to make sure that bad lifestyle choices wouldn't leave my fiance in a state of depression with our future children and no mummy to take care of them.

Like with your case, cancer is known to run in families, so tell yourself you need to do everything possible to make sure your children don't end up going through the same thing you are now. Trust me, the junk food does not help you feel better. In fact, the lack of nutrients will probably lead to you feeling even more run down and depressed, which in turn will likely make you eat even more junk food! Try to make the change now - get plenty of fruit and veg into you, take some supplements, maybe make a huge pot of home-made soup, which should last you about 4 days in the fridge, drink lots of fluids and you'll feel far better (trust me). It will also give you the energy you need to tackle the days ahead.

Very best of luck to you and your dad x

Hi I'm so sorry to hear ur news. I know its devasting to learn ur dad has cancer. I have recently been thro some very personal and family troubles, which would have thrown me of course totally. But Like u I had my melt down and ate and drank all in sight. But as our issues would be long term I knew I had to pull it back. And you know holding on to my sw diet felt like my bit of control. I take time each evening to sit quietly and fill in food diary, and come in here for a but of light relief! And when time allows getting out for my c25k training gives ne more "down time" to think and process or just switch off and do it. I actually think at some of the darkest times in last few months sw has been my anchor. I know it doesn't work this way for everyone and no one can blame u for walking away from it, but for me I'm pleased I've stuck with it. I wish u and ur family all the best for future. X

Thank you guys, brilliant advice from all of ypu, very much appreciated. My OH is off tomorrow and we've decided to do a load of batch cooking to help take the pressure off a bit. Tomorrow is a new day and you are right, I don't want my kids to feel this so I HAVE to make the change and fight through this for me and dad!

Back