Step away from the pizza! 64lbs to go...

MarianH

So, I am a veteran of SW... and low GL... and WW... and low carb... and detox... and Gillain McKeith... and calorie counting... and (which worked very well for me at 18) the black coffee and fags diet.

I first lost a lot of weight with SW at 20 when I had my daughter. I went from 16st to 10st 10lbs over about 2 years.

If I'm honest, I never got over my binge mentality and as soon as I became complacent, it started to creep. Stopping smoking and a stressful change of home, place and job, has seen me put all the weight back on. Since I had my son, I have yo-yoed anywhere between 15.7st and 12.7st, never getting below that.

I have returned to SW after a very stressful couple of years - my daughter has cancer (leukaemia) which takes 2.5 years to treat; she still has 10 months to go - and I have piled weight back on, gaining 3st to take me right back up to my starting weight of 15.4lbs. :(

There's a few reasons why I need to do this. I am sick of feeling ugly and less worthy than other people because I am big. I am sick of being judged or left out of things because I am big. I am scared that if my joints get much worse, and my fitness doesn't improve, in a couple of years I will be immobile (I am 33). Finally, and a nice reason, we are taking the children on a holiday of a lifetime to Disney next august to celebrate daughter finishing treatment and I do not want to be massive for that. The heat here is hard enough to cope with, especially when wearing 'cover up' clothing. I want some freedom back.

The downside of losing weight (and the reason I think I often sabotage myself) is I know that I will need some serious surgery to sort my skin out afterwards. This is a bit depressing as I would like to be one of those people who loses weight and looks fabulous, not someone who has to roll their stomach up to tuck it in their pants. (or arm skin, or thigh skin, or even - and this really bothering me now - chin skin)

I went to the gym in my hometown last night with my Mum. The last time I went there was just before I got married, six years ago. I still have a clear visual image of what I looked like then (they have a lovely mirrored wall :sigh:) and I was really horrified at how I looked yesterday.

I rejoined on Saturday. Wish me luck beating the demons.

I was very pleased with myself yesterday. We went for lunch to meet a friend and I ordered my first ever altered meal. Usually I just eat it as it comes. But this time I had dressing on the side and asked for things to be taken off. Admittedly, it wasn't the most exciting meal I've ever eaten out, but I was pleased that I used no syns and still managed to feel part of what was going on. I also left alone the kids' leftovers, including copious amounts chips and half a large choc and berry ice cream sundae. Go me!

I'm trying to be more active, although it is difficult as I'm not in my own home. However, next week I will start a more structured routine. I really need to try and tone up.

Yesterday I ate Extra Easy:

chopped apple, banana and grapes with a greek mullerlight yog (0.5 syn)
Salmon fillet, salad and a squeeze of lemon
A mug shot (0 syns) and a few pieces of quorn pepperoni (counted as 2 syns)
A huge salad with 1.5 eggs and 3 quorn burgers (1.5syns) and light salad cream (2 syns)
A peanut hi-fi bar (Healthy B)
A big wedge of watermelon

Lots of diet coke at the pub and Healthy A milk in tea/coffee

Today I'm planning

W/meal toast and light butter/marmite
Not sure for lunch, probably fish and salad.
Pasta and roasted veg with quorn pieces for tea.
Crab sticks for snacks (loving them again at the moment)

Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your daughter's leukaemai, and I'm not surprised that such stress has been instrumental in you gaining weight. And .... there is no reason that you should feel less adequate that other thinner people, you sound a nice person, and that is really what counts. So you should draw a line under all of these negative thoughts and start again from today (or Saturday). You know that you CAN lose weight on this plan, you have a really good incentive for doing it (your holiday) - so go for it! As soon as you start to lose weight, it will increase your self esteem.
If you exercise and tone while following the plan, at your age it may not be necessary for weight loss surgery, you are still young and skin has an elasticity that may avoid this route.
This is a supportive and motivational group, so keep posting here and let us know how we can help you.
Good luck with your goals
Tina

:welcome:

I was very pleased with myself yesterday. We went for lunch to meet a friend and I ordered my first ever altered meal. Usually I just eat it as it comes. But this time I had dressing on the side and asked for things to be taken off. Admittedly, it wasn't the most exciting meal I've ever eaten out, but I was pleased that I used no syns and still managed to feel part of what was going on. I also left alone the kids' leftovers, including copious amounts chips and half a large choc and berry ice cream sundae. Go me!

I'm trying to be more active, although it is difficult as I'm not in my own home. However, next week I will start a more structured routine. I really need to try and tone up.

Yesterday I ate Extra Easy:

chopped apple, banana and grapes with a greek mullerlight yog (0.5 syn)
Salmon fillet, salad and a squeeze of lemon
A mug shot (0 syns) and a few pieces of quorn pepperoni (counted as 2 syns)
A huge salad with 1.5 eggs and 3 quorn burgers (1.5syns) and light salad cream (2 syns)
A peanut hi-fi bar (Healthy B)
A big wedge of watermelon

Lots of diet coke at the pub and Healthy A milk in tea/coffee

Today I'm planning

W/meal toast and light butter/marmite
Not sure for lunch, probably fish and salad.
Pasta and roasted veg with quorn pieces for tea.
Crab sticks for snacks (loving them again at the moment)
Well done you on your food diaries! You are really back on track - go girl go!!

Thank you so much for posting. I am feeling very motivated at the moment. Keeping it up will be the tough bit. I find as soon as I get stressed, I give up. I'd lost over 20lbs in January and February, then daughter got pneumonia and it flawed me. I put it all back on. But I know I can't keep going like I have been - it isn't what I want my life to be. I've given the yo-yo dieting nearly 20 years and I've had enough. I want it off and I want to keep it off.

I hope that you are getting on with it okay too. :)

Oh, Marion, you DO have a lot on your plate, don't you? The leukaemia must be such a worry; to stick to a diet (sorry, 'PLAN'!) whilst coping with that is admirable. We have about the same amount to lose, and I too have had a bit of a blip in my struggle, so if you don't mind, I will be thinking of you as my 'mentor', and following your progress - if you can do it, so can I!

I know what you mean about the skin worry - I have that 'apron' at the bottom of my stomach which I am sure will need surgery to remove, which is not a nice thought.

I have been lurking on here for a while, finding my way round and so on, but this is my first ever post. I wonder how many we will clock up over the next 64lbs of weight loss?

Rooting for you, hon

SuzyQ

I've set myself the mini target of trying to get 35lbs off by Christmas. If I manage this, I will be so pleased with myself as it will take me below where I got to in January, it will put me back in the 12s and it will smash my Club 10 target of 21lbs. :superwoman:

Having many small victories over myself this week, although I accept these are down to first week determination.

Last night, parents ordered pizza, garlic bread and french fries (all things I love). I made my pasta with roasted veg and quorn pieces and ate that.

Snacking mostly on crab sticks, melon (so cheap at the moment), a treat tub of mango chunks, mug shots.

I went to bed full to busting last night. I must admit I'm not expecting much on the scales on Saturday.

Have a good day all. :)

Tomorrow is my first weigh in and I am getting the scale anxiousness. I am worried I won't have lost anything, or only a lb. It's that first week boost I need. I do feel like I might have lost, but time will tell.

I went out for a meal again yesterday, unexpectedly. Parents wanted fish and chips for tea, which normally means they fetch them in. However, we went to a cafe instead. I ordered a tuna salad. The only syns on it were a bit of coleslaw that I counted as full 100g, though it didn't look like that much, and a few green olives. I feel very virtuous and will now polish my halo. :angel09:

Exercise isn't what it should be, although I find it hard being away from home. I did spend an hour charging around soft play with son and nephews, so hoping that counts for something!

WOW well done - I've just been reading your posts with great interest, your holiday next year should hopefully be such a lovely time of celebration, and with losses like that you'll be celebrating a whole new you too!!! Congratulations on your amazing loss and good luck going forward, sounds like you have an excellent attitude and that can only help :)

WOW well done - I've just been reading your posts with great interest, your holiday next year should hopefully be such a lovely time of celebration, and with losses like that you'll be celebrating a whole new you too!!! Congratulations on your amazing loss and good luck going forward, sounds like you have an excellent attitude and that can only help :)

Thank you :) :) :). Your weight loss is fantastic. We're the same height, and I can't wait until I'm in the 150s. I haven't seen those since just after I got married 6 years ago. Good luck with it.

I've managed another day out without folding to temptation. We took a picnic - I never do this. It will also help me to save some money, given I have the mega holiday to pay for next year. :eek: A lottery win would be nice.

Today's menu

Toast with marmite and butter (syns)
Pasta and egg salad
Salad for tea too, possibly with quorn burgers.

My EE days keep turning into green ones... :eek:

Well, the restraint paid off:

6.5lbs!!!!

:party0011::wee::bunnydance:

Congratulations! You should be very proud, and you've inspired me with your roast veg pasta with quorn:)

Congratulations! You should be very proud, and you've inspired me with your roast veg pasta with quorn:)

I roast veg (red onion, pepper, aubergine, courgette, carrot, butternut squash, chunk cut mushroom all work well) and quorn pieces with frylight and put a carton of passata over it, then roast that for a bit too. Mix cooked pasta in. If you have syns, stick a tablespoon of red pesto in it when you put the passata in, and sprinkle some cheese over - cheddar or parmesan - a bake for a bit longer. Nice with basil in passata too. Enjoy! :)

Made my first syn free quiche in years and it was lovely. I used to eat it all in one day, but have managed to exercise some restraint and had half for tea last night with salad, and took half for picnic lunch today. It chills beautifully. My recipe:

Packet red pepper and mushroom rice (Sainsbury's, free)
standard tub light cottage cheese
5 mixed weight eggs (would use 4 large)
fry light
slices of red pepper and mushrooms

Fry pepper and mushrooms, cook rice according to instructions. Beat eggs and whisk in cottage cheese with plenty of seasoning. Fry light flan dish and line with cooked rice to form a base, spread cooked peppers and mushrooms over the top, then pour on egg/cottage cheese mixture and more black pepper. Bake in centre of over (mine is fan) at 190 for 30mins. Lovely. :) Even husband was tempted, and he usually looks disdainfully at any 'slimming' food I create.

We were out all day yesterday, and I've been out for 5 hours today with son. Must have walked miles and miles. Feel quite tired now... I just wish someone would come and clean the house for me. Hoping this all shows on the scales come Saturday.

I'm having the annual holiday crisis of what to do with my son, who is 3 and a bundle of energy, on a rainy day when we have not much money to spend. Thinking the best course of action will be to put on our boots and waterproofs and head out for a bit regardless. I feel guilty for even daring to consider spending the day sitting on the sofa, surfing the internet and letting him watch telly. I know he will do my head in if I attempt this happy, happy laziness. Instead, out we must go. :sigh:

Daughter is with her Dad until Thursday afternoon. It's handy having her about as she's great with my little boy (if we can persuade her off her laptop for a few minutes), however she physically can't manage much so it's another reason that I feel I have to get him outside whilst I can.

I'd love a duvet day with a good book. Sad woman. I used to like a duvet day with a stonking hangover. How things have changed. :D

Food plan for today:

Fruit and fibre with raspberries and yogurt (am liking the cheaper frozen raspberries... attempting to budget a bit)
Salad with tuna and egg, some light salad cream as syns
Stir fry with king prawns, ginger, lots of veg and egg noodles, soy sauce.

Snacks today of crab sticks and melon. Still eating melon.

Last edited:
Oh, Marion, you DO have a lot on your plate, don't you? The leukaemia must be such a worry; to stick to a diet (sorry, 'PLAN'!) whilst coping with that is admirable. We have about the same amount to lose, and I too have had a bit of a blip in my struggle, so if you don't mind, I will be thinking of you as my 'mentor', and following your progress - if you can do it, so can I!

I know what you mean about the skin worry - I have that 'apron' at the bottom of my stomach which I am sure will need surgery to remove, which is not a nice thought.

I have been lurking on here for a while, finding my way round and so on, but this is my first ever post. I wonder how many we will clock up over the next 64lbs of weight loss?

Rooting for you, hon

SuzyQ

I totally missed this!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: So sorry Suzy! Thank you for this. You are right about the worrying prospect of needing the tucking. It's my arms, legs, stomach, sides, boobs. I will look like a big empty carrier bag. Am planning on buying some reinforced (with girders of lycra) swimming costumes for next year in order to hold it all in :D How are you getting on? Again, sorry for missing what you'd put. I think it was when I posted twice quite close together. :doh:

I hope you are still there. Let me know how it is going so far? Have you signed up to a class or following casually? My sister recently lost about 3st just using principles of green day. I, however, need some regular accountability so writing on here and going to class will hopefully encourage me to stick with it. I'll be fine through summer, but when work starts again I will struggle more I think.

I'm rooting for you too - let's do this thing!!

Last edited:
This week has been more difficult thanks to PMS. I have had the dreadful combination of cravings/boredom which drives me to the cupboards. I have stuck to the plan, but I have also eaten a lot. Weigh in on Saturday; I'm praying that I have had a loss. I want to stay motivated whilst I'm away for the next 2 weeks. Saying that, I plan to weigh in still whilst on holiday to keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm finding that many of my EE days keep changing into green ones. I get to the end of the day and realise! I'm cheating myself out of the odd HE because of this, but I'm happy with what I'm having, so as long as I keep losing this should be fine.

Back