Steps Vs Gym

clairelesley

Fairy Princess to Be
I need some advice please!
Thanks (lots of them) to Sallies via the official CDForum I've been permanently attached to my pedometer and joined the gym to up my exercise. I've got a set 'session' that I do at the gym including cardio & weights/toning which is fine if I can go after work; if not I do a half session at lunchtime and, if possible, the other half after work.
The days I can go after work I get 10k+ steps (including time at gym) easy because I go out and about at lunchtime, but the days I have to do the gym at lunch I only average around 8k steps even if I do the other half in the evening.
So, walking vs gym exercise? Is it better to cut down on gym time to get my 10k steps a day or is the gym exercise as good (better?) for me than the step deficit? :sign0009:
Probably a noob question but I have no idea, and really want to make sure I'm doing the best possible for my fitness levels now I'm on the right general track. Obviously the best solution is to get both but in the meantime.....
Many thanks in advance for your wisdom,
Claire

Well done on making it to 10000 steps most days :)
I would say that you are better to go to the gym and forfeit 2000 steps. Presumably you're using weights at the gym and doing some CV work - that will compliment your walking and help with fat loss/muscle tone more than just doing another 2000 steps.

I agree with Mrs. Moo. Reason being, the walking and steps are great, but they won't work your heart and lungs like you can at the gym. The benefits of solid cardiovascular exercise far outweigh a measly 2000 steps. And I think you're doing SPLENDIDLY. It's a lot harder than it sounds to get in all those steps! And yet, you have done it.

I think it is really hard to say which is better for you-walking or gym exercises. Both sports are very good and you should keep the sport which you prefer. If you like both you can could simply change. Sometimes you go walking and the other day you go to the gym. At least do one of them! Keep it up!

Hiya Claire

10,000 steps are what you need to do to be healthy (you don't actually need to do those steps but it's the easiest way to guage the amount of activity you should be doing - if that makes sense). Getting your pulse raised and out of breath 3-5 times a week is what you need to do to be phyiscally fit. Not being all preachy as I blimmin know I need to do both as I'm still a work in progress :rolleyes:

I think that until you're in a place where you can do both it is a personal choice as to which you feel better doing and which you can sustain. Or you can mix it up day to day

Ails xx

Thanks for the help guys, as a newb all the different messages about steps and cardio and toning can be confusing when trying to figure out the right proportions of each!
Guidance much appreciated :D

Hi

Just saw your post and thought you may be interested to see this:

Health benefits of walking

Studies show that walking can:
  • Reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Reduce high cholesterol and improve blood lipid profile
  • Reduce body fat
  • Enhance mental well being
  • Increase bone density, hence helping to prevent osteoporosis
  • Reduce the risk of cancer of the colon
  • Reduce the risk of non insulin dependant diabetes
  • Help to control body weight
  • Help osteoarthritis
  • Help flexibility and co-ordination hence reducing the risk of falls
The intensity of walking for fitness benefits varies according to the age and fitness of the individual, but generally, ‘brisk is best’.
A simple way to work out how briskly you should walk is to aim to walk “fast without overexertion”. You should just about be able to hold a conversation while you are walking - the ‘talk test’

Walking one mile (1.6km) can burn up at least 100kcal (420kJ) of energy and walking two miles (3.2km) a day, three times a week, can help reduce weight by one pound (0.5kg) every three weeks.
Walking also alters fat metabolism so that fat is burned up instead of sugars, helping to reduce weight.

Walking for Health - Walking for Everyone - Information - Ramblers' Association

I have been walking with a pedometer for the last 6 weeks - do flat and hilly areas now - really get a good workout! Do some weights for upper body too but I really prefer this way to gym.:D

Daisydee x

Back