Stevia now available in UK

GetSetGo

Did anyone see the advert on tv last night?

Silver spoon have bought out a product called Truvia which is a calorie free alternative to sugar made from the leaves of the Stevia plant. Apparently 1/3 teaspoon of Stevia is equal to 1 teaspoon of sugar.

What do you all think?

http://truvia.co.uk/

I don't take sugar/sweeteners but could Stevia be used in baking then?

13weeks said:
Has anyone tried stevia? is it a better sweetener than others?

I am going to hopefully get some in the next few days, not sure what its like but can't be any worse than saccharin!! Yuck! Splenda is ok, if it's better than that then its all good!

I read a very interesting article about this, in fact stevia is one of the best sweetener you could get,the healthiest too!

In fact one if the main artificial sweetener companies in the US ensured that stevia will not hit the market which resulted in it being banned to grow and consume nearly globally.the Netherlands was the only European country that legalised it (surprise)

They US concern ensured this way to maintain and grow profits globally!

Stevia is around since years and is a no calorie really sweet plant,most healthiest but aspartame, that kills brings in more money.

Only now the EU is dropping the law which means the end of the aspartame era! Finally!imagine they feed pigs aspartame to increase their appetite in order to become big and fat in the shortest time frame!

Goes to show you!

I got some from Tesco, I noticed that there were several brands on sale. Canderal have their own version. The jar looks huge against the Truvia jar for £3.29 whereas the Truvia is in a much smaller jar for £4.99.

However, you need to look close at the labels. Canderal version states 2 cals per teaspoon, and is bulked up so equates teaspoon per teaspoon of sugar. The jar contains 75g, and the bulking agent accounts for the 2 calories.

The much smaller Truvia jar is 185g, and is 1third teaspoon per teaspoon of sugar, so does not have the bulking agent that the canderal version has. In fact, Canderal can only be 1 third stevia and 2 thirds bulking agent, so in fact only contains 25g stevia for £3.29 compared to the Truvia 185g stevia for £4.99 which is much better value and zero calories.

So, taste. Im very averse to sweeteners, really dont like the aftertaste at all and would rather do without. To me, Truvia has an aftertaste, slightly bitter like most other sweeteners. Im very dissapointed, as I had great hopes for it. But it is a lot better than most other sweeteners out there. I wont be putting it in my coffee, and ive done without sweetener or sugar in my coffee for so long that I dont really care anymore. But I can see myself using it in salad dressings instead of honey, or in cooking.

Good review thank you!

I have decided not to buy it at the moment, only because I have cut out all sugar in drinks and am not eating real food so won't be using it in cooking!

You will have to let us know how it works out in cooking too. :)

Back