Storing Veg

Discussion in 'Healthy Eating Forum' started by FatmanSlimming, 15 September 2011 Social URL.

1. FatmanSlimming

FatmanSlimming Full Member

Start Weight:
    18st11lb
    Current Weight:
    18st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(0.76%)
    Diet:
    trying to eat healthy
    Any tips? I put lettuce in the fridge it comes out wet through, carrots are either withering or getting black spots, I have fridge set at 5

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Bumblebum

Bumblebum Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st7lb
    Current Weight:
    15st7lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I take everything out of any packaging it comes in. If feels wet then dry with kitchen roll. I layer kitchen roll at bottom of veg/salad drawers and veg goes on top.

I keep tomato's and cucumber out of the fridge. Believe it or not, cucumber keeps longer that way. And tomato's just taste grim freezing cold!

4. RachBlue

RachBlue Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    11st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(9.36%)
    Diet:
    Cal Counting @ 1550cals / day + following Dr Stephen Gullo's theories about knowing your weaknesses
    I've tried storing carrots every which way and they just never seem to keep, they go rubbery and dry looking and get black spots, so I only buy enough for the next 24 - 48 hours, and back them up with frozen or tinned - btw I read somewhere that the beta carotene in tinned carrots is more accessible than in lightly cooked or raw ones, in case that's of any interest...

5. Patchninja

Patchninja Full Member

Start Weight:
    30kg
    Current Weight:
    30kg
    Goal Weight:
    60kg
    Lost(%):
    0kg(0%)
    Diet:
    SW
    I'm wondering if your fridge is too cold and it's nearly freezing the lettuce? That would cause it to go all horrible. If it's any help, my fridge is on 2.5 but I suppose all fridges are different?
    You can get bags that help conserve fruit and veg longer. I think they have charcoal in the plastic. They do work.

6. LittleSis

LittleSis Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st3lb
    Current Weight:
    12st3.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st0lb
    Lost(%):
    -0st0.5lb(-0.29%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World!!
    My mum always used to put a lump of coal in the veg draw!!! As I remember it worked!!

The bags Patchninja suggested are good. You can get them from Kleeneze..

Just checked my fridge is on 3.5..

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.