Consolidation Struggling, a few questions for those who have been there

Poppy03

Silver Member
I started conso about 10 days ago but for the life of me I am struggling. I don't know if it is because there are the extra bits added in and I don't like having the choice! Or that my totm apathy hit at the same time but I am finding it really hard.

Gala meal - on that day are we still supposed to have all the extras as well as the oatbran? Can we incorporate the extras into the gala meal or does that defeat the goal?

Wholewheat bread - I cannot eat it. I have tried but it makes me very ill. I have struggled with wheat for many years and assumed it was gluten but clearly not as I can eat the oatbran no problems. Since I won't be eating wholewheat bread is it ok to use white bread instead for this part of the diet? Same for the pasta, can't be wholewheat.

I am finding that I am not eating enough protein and I think that is why I am tired. Trying to up my protein today but I seem to be either almost pure protein or mostly vegetables. I actually wish I was back dieting to loose weight as it was much simplier then! (ok I would not want to give up the cheese to be honest). Did anyone else find it hard in the beginning? Would gratefully receive tips please:cry:

Golly yes - cruise was so simple - I was just as bewildered by the idea of choice!

> Gala meal - on that day are we still supposed to have all the extras as well as the oatbran?

I assume so - the only day I don't eat the extras is the pp thursday.

>Can we incorporate the extras into the gala meal or does that defeat the goal?

Personally I wouldn't worry - as long as you are on one gala a week it shouldn't matter?

> Wholewheat bread - I cannot eat it.

Have you tried rye? Spelt?
I stopped eating bread after the first two weeks in conso and swapped to rye crispbreads, because they keep better and they are CRUNCHY!!!.

> I am finding that I am not eating enough protein and I think that is why I am tired.

Me too (tired, I mean) I think it is the end of ketosis, (which does have the benefit of all that extra energy!) which makes the first few weeks of conso seem exhausting. I miss the ketosis whizz!

Hope that helps - I still get wobbly when I have to make choices, but I just keep coming back to the basics, and it gets easier.

I am finding that I am not eating enough protein and I think that is why I am tired.

Me too (tired, I mean) I think it is the end of ketosis, (which does have the benefit of all that extra energy!) which makes the first few weeks of conso seem exhausting. I miss the ketosis whizz!

That makes complete sense, I have been tired since starting conso and hadn't put two and two together. I loved ketosis! Does it pass? So I guess I just have the PP days to look forward to for energy!!

I shall look into the rye and spelt but most of the time I have found them to be mixed with wheat and more often, wholewheat, which is an issue.

Just had a roast dinner, minus the naughty bits and realised I have not eaten my fruit or cheese today along with bread! :confused: So another PV day then. Oh well, off to London tomorrow and will be having a gala meal there, no choice. Now I just have to find a way of taking my oat bran. Mmmm perhaps I could make a fruit galette and have it for breakfast. Must open up the thinking.

Mmmm perhaps I could make a fruit galette and have it for breakfast. Must open up the thinking.

That's become my breakfast of choice - hot galette topped with chopped strawberries and greek yogurt! Mmmmmmmm

PS - it could still be gluten.
I know some coeliacs can still eat oats and oatbran, apparently because the protein in oats is very similar to gluten, but not identical.

One thing which was always repeated to me at the outset of Conso was not to forget that Conso was simply PV + extras. So you really needn't be reducing your protein quantities yet.

Enjoy London!

PS - it could still be gluten.
I know some coeliacs can still eat oats and oatbran, apparently because the protein in oats is very similar to gluten, but not identical.

That's true. I have had a blood test for coeliacs but both of them have come up negative. At the least I don't have the condition but I think I am sensitive to wheat and wholewheat just is overload.

Maintainer you are right about the protein. For some reason as soon as I could have veggies every day I seemed to slip into eating very little and I think it became a low calorie diet instead. I upped my protein on Saturday and felt much better by the end of the day. Made sure I ate loads of protein on Sunday in London (gonna look like a chicken!) and felt fine too. Glad I tried on all the clothes before I ate my roast dinner!

Still struggling to eat everything extra and the protein and the vegetables but have made a menu for us all this week which should help me do it.

Can you post your menus over here (so that there's no confusion in the daily thread)? Lots of us would be very interested in reading what you're eating... (if you don't mind!)

Ok, I can do that. I will make me more aware of what I am eating and people can point out what I am missing/over eating etc which can only be helpful. I have found this to be harder than the actual diet!

Today:
B - a few slices of Roast chicken and 4 tablespoons yoghurt
L - a few slices of roast chicken and a slice of toast with marg (child assisted in the eating)
D - Caesar Salad made with chicken with bacon (no fat) wrapped around it and baked. Salad and a sauce made with no fat yoghurt, parmesan, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Will have the galette with it.
S - apple tonight, Asda hasn't delivered yet. Skinny latte when out at playcentre and I munched on some carrot and cucumber sticks.

Mmmmm writing it down shows a bit of a lack of food!

Just a thought - is it worth having a conso menu thread somewhere? Perhaps in the diary section, where it won't be so galling to cruisers to see us mange-ing away on bread and cheese and raspberries?

Although not raspberries as I HATE them! The only fruit I cannot stand.

It would indeed be a good idea... (the mere thought of turkey for breakfast though!! ughh!!)

"In my day" (yawn...!!), we had to fit in two x galas AND two x starches from day 1 on conso, so it really was a military exercise to get everything in each day each week.

Now it should be a breeze... ;)

4 days = PV + 40-50g bread + fruit + cheese

1 day = PV + 40-50g bread + fruit + cheese + portion of starch

1 day = PV + 40-50g bread + fruit + cheese + gala

1 day = PP

By having a PP breakfast, Poppy, you're possibly making it harder than it need be to fit everything in. Perhaps have either the oatbran then OR your bread ration. Or even your fruit with it.

And I'm having a dismal day today - bad start, and now I really don't feel like eating anything....

Not something I ever suffer from Atropos... how can I help? (Can I eat something for you???!)

Yes sorry, cannot stand them. My 3 year old cannot understand either as we grow so man of them at times I think she will turn into one! I cooked desserts and added them in during diet so I was not in the least bit tempted.

In my rather febel defense, I had very little in as awaiting an Asda delivery and I had to go out to a play centre where I cannot eat anything. I know, excuses, excuses. I really cannot get my head around conso and want to be back on the diet! I am not a breakfast eater so normally I would just have yoghurt and then me and the little one eat an early lunch together. I added some chicken to make it a but more substantial and to try and get more protein in me due to the lack I have been doing before. Mmmm anyone else hear the excuses. Diary menu thread for conso is definately a good idea. Give me a good kick up the backside!

Hi Poppy, I have been on conso for 6 days now and it appears to be working. I went to a Chinese buffet as a gala meal for lunch on Friday but only had chicken for my second meal of the day. The buffet worked good as I was a little nervous but having a lot of choice I felt no pressure and enjoyed it. My weight stayed the same. I am just taking it one day at a time and adding the new foods slowly. I had pasta yesterday with steak which was yummy and my weight was same again this morning. I am having 1 slice of whole grain bread twice a day and the cheese I have with one of my meals. My PP day will be Tuesdays as it fits with my work week. My energy has zapped but having a 4 year old daughter with me on my days off helps get me moving. I am on conso untill mid Jan so not rushing anything and taking it easy with the foods. I like turkey bacon in the mornings for breakfast with egg beaters and always have my oatbran with yogurt just before I go to bed in the evening.

Vegaspool. Welcome. Nice to hear from another conso. How on earth did you manage not to go mad on a Vegas all you can eat buffet! My husband and I actually ate so much we needed a nap afterwards. Admitedly that was the only time we did that so perhaps lesson learned.

I have a 3.5 year old to keep me busy too. I am also concious of making sure I don't make too much out of food issues as she already doesn't like that I am eating different to her. I explained it as mummy was on a health diet with the emphasis on health. She knows I have been really ill and take a lot of tablets and supplements so she seems to have accepted it. When I step on the scales she asks if I am healthy yet!

I am PP on Tuesday too :)

Poppy don't let Conso 'defeat' you. As Maintainer said: first and foremost think of it as 'PV 6 days a week and PP for one'. For consistency make PP always the same week day and only deviate in most pressing circumstances. So that's you settled back into what you know and like. Stick with it and relax. In tricky situations reach for the veg and protein as before, avoid the carbs.
On top of that you are ALLOWED a slice of wholemeal bread (or equivalent) a day and a piece of cheese. You ought to try and have those every day because you are trying to get your body reaccustomed to carbs, and small amounts of fat.

On top of that you are advised to have one pasta meal a week. and one 'normal' meal, anything you like. If you're stressing about those, reintroduce them gradually. You should not take less time than the calculated time for Conso (10 days per kg lost), but you can indeed take longer.

My first 'celebration' meal was a restaurant meal, I had the option to choose anything I liked but really managed to remain quite restrained without explicitly trying (crab salad, followed by grilled Veal escalope, no dessert, no wine)

Back