Struggling at work!!

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Onedayskinny, 4 June 2011 Social URL.

1. Onedayskinny

Onedayskinny Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.53%)
    Hey wondering if anybody could give me some advice.... I work 12.5 hour shifts, get a 15 min breakfast break in the morning (sometimes, but not that often) and a lunch break around 1-2pm..... I start @7:30am and finish at 8pm.
    I try to have breakfast on my first break but quite often I don't have that break so end up not havin breakfast!!
    By 1pm I am starving, so I have lunch... That's fine but, by 5/6pm I am so hungry I start to get shakey, and loose concentration and end up messing up and having syns to stop feeling that way.
    I have tried everything but I still get to this stage every shift, anybody got any ides how I can stop this?! This had happened sooo many times now, and I have tried loads of different lunches to make me more full but still feel the same! Any ideas.....

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Shrimpy

Shrimpy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(34.04%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Can you not eat breakfast before work (I do it at work, but 15mins before I start), then snack at the first break. Have lunch and bring an extra portion of something for when you get hungry at 5, like a mugshot or some cous cous salad?

I seriously would bring an "extra lunch" or something to eat then. Is that an issue or can you get 5mins to eat a mug shot?

You should eat something every 4 or so hours. I have to, otherwise I get proper shaky.

4. Onedayskinny

Onedayskinny Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.53%)
    No I can't :( that would be the perfect solution, but Its just not possible!
    I may have to try eating breakfast whilst on my way to work! Either that, or get up at 6 instead!!
    I guess I could get away with a mug shot!! Perhaps keep them in my bag for wen I feel like that!!
    Thanks!

5. Shrimpy

Shrimpy Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st6lb
    Current Weight:
    8st12lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st11lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(34.04%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I would definitely bring a mugshot or a HExB (of like an alpen light or something).

6. pizzle84

pizzle84 I will do this!!!

Diet:
    SW
    can you not have an alpen light when you get peckist morning and night? just keep them in your pocket.

7. Onedayskinny

Onedayskinny Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.53%)
    Great idea!! I forgot about them!! I shall go out tomorrow and get some ready for work this week and see how it goes! Thanks

8. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    You could eat the alpen light on your way to work. You must have brews during the day, is it possible to substitute that for a 'drink' of mugshot?

9. AnnaFaraday

AnnaFaraday ..

There are laws about rest breaks. I'm no expert, but you might want to look at this:

Rest breaks : Directgov - Employment

You don't say what you are doing at work, but you have said that your work is affected by not having a break. Your employer has a responsibility to ensure that this doesn't happen.

10. woodmouse

woodmouse Gold Member

Diet:
    various then S&S/Paleo now 5:2 with 16.8
    Bananas are a great quick fix for low blood sugar moments, they make you feel better for a long time afterwards, and they're easy to carry around! :)

11. HPSaucy

HPSaucy Will get there one day!

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    14st8.5lb
    Lost(%):
    2st13.5lb(16.87%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Is yours a desk job or something else?

I know how hard it was before I worked in an office as I wasn't allowed to eat in public and struggled. Now I'm in an office I try and eat breakfast before I come to work as we only get one break (if we have time), I get up at 3.30 some mornings for work so I know how you feel about not wanting to get up at 6.00, you could just have a banana or an alpen light.

For afternoon how about crabsticks, bits of carrot or celery? Something you can just grab and eat without having to prepare it.

12. Onedayskinny

Onedayskinny Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.53%)
    Thanks everyone for your ideas, it's not really the issue of getting breaks, as it's not then that I am struggling it's after my lunch break before I get home.

I am gonna try eatin breakfast on my way and then having lunch a little later and see if I am able to last better between then and time to go home.

Crabsticks are a great idea!!
    Thank you all

13. Shirleen

Shirleen Gold Member

Start Weight:
    21st12.5lb
    Current Weight:
    21st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st8.5lb(2.77%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This is barbaric, how can you not have breaks? I work 15hour shifts a couple of times a week and 9 hour shifts and although we don't have breaks from work we do have to build meal breaks into our job.

I would say the lack of breakfast means your body in deficit before lunch which means you are quickly hungry again.

Even if it's a couple of bananas and an apple, a mini quiche or three can be eaten en route to work.
    Make sure your lunch is a good one too, Pasta salad/Jacket spud and beans, then save your hexb for mid afternoon Alpen lights or whatever.
    If you were diabetic this would have to be worked in to your hours! Why suffer for not being diabetic?

14. Onedayskinny

Onedayskinny Full Member

Start Weight:
    14st2lb
    Current Weight:
    13st11lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st9lb
    Lost(%):
    0st5lb(2.53%)
    I do always get a lunch break, and if I'm not busy I will have a break in the morning, it just depends if we have loads of customers in at that time.. it's just the time between lunch and goin home that I'm struggling with, as I can't really start eating in front of the customers.. I have been in today though, had breakfast on my way and had a mug shot and some crab sticks between lunch and goin home and it worked, so hopefully problem solved!!

Thanks all!

Last edited: 5 June 2011
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.