Struggling :(

bekki19877

Hi Ladies/gentleman . Ive been on Slimming world since 2009. I lost 4 1/2 stone after my 1st child then again after my 2nd, however ive put on about 2 stone since then and im struggling to shift it :( Ive gotten into the habbit of binging. So I will do the diet for weeks then one evening ill binge my way through my cupboards and ruin my diet and put back on the weight ive lost in the weeks ive been dieting! I cant seem to stop myself! Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Tricky one, hardest thing is when ppl don't loose but won't admit why.

Try identify are you eating because your bored? Are you hungry? Is there a reason behind it?

Best thing I'd do is not have anything you can binge on, I know with 2 children it's not easy but I've got a toddler on my own and to get through my first few weeks I went to bed early as soon as my son was asleep and I'd tidied up I'd go to bed and sleep. By next day craving had passed.

After week two and the addiction to sugar had gone Itd not enter my head. I'm full from my tea and so have no need to eat.

Ok first of all fantastic for loosing weight after having children, I've had my first and since then have lost 3st to get me to target and it was HARD!

I wouldn't like to say I binge but I do on occasion, usually weekends will overindulge in say an Easter egg for example, what sort of binging are you talking about?

Seriously though, since getting to target I messed around and soon gained weight but after 3 full days back on plan I'm feeling great, try to set yourself small daily goals to make you feel more in control, hugs xxxxx

Hi Ladies/gentleman . Ive been on Slimming world since 2009. I lost 4 1/2 stone after my 1st child then again after my 2nd, however ive put on about 2 stone since then and im struggling to shift it :( Ive gotten into the habbit of binging. So I will do the diet for weeks then one evening ill binge my way through my cupboards and ruin my diet and put back on the weight ive lost in the weeks ive been dieting! I cant seem to stop myself! Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Well done for losing so much weight! That's quite an achievement! You say that you will stick to SW for weeks and then binge and 'ruin' it all. I'm sorry, but there's no way you can 'put back on all the weight you've lost' in one binge. Even if it's a HELL on a binge, 3,500 calories = 1lb so to even gain 4bs you'd have to eat 14,000 calories. That's an awful, awful lot. I've been known to binge with the best (worst?) of them, and I don't think even I could eat that much in one sitting. You often see a large gain on the scales after a binge because binge food is often high in fat and salt which causes our body to hang on to extra water.

What I suspect is really happening is that you stick to SW for a good few weeks, start feeling poitive about yourself and your lifestyle change etc. Then you have a bad day, a moment of weakness of whatever and that starts off a binge. Then, the next morning you're full of remorse and guilt, you get on the scales and you see a big gain. You think, 'what's the point? I've ruined all my good work! How could I do that?' You get into a cycle of guilt which makes you feel bad so you binge again and then feel even more guilty... Does this sound familier at all? I can certainly identify with it. I've done it on previous diets time and time again.

What you need to do is to break the cycle of guilt. If you have a binge, that's not ideal obviously, but the thing to do is to immediately get back on the wagon. Don't let yourself believe you've 'ruined' everything because you won't have. One bad day (even if it's REALLY bad) won't derail your progress. Not getting back on the wagon afterwards is what is really hindering your progress.

As for tips for stopping binging, it's difficult to say because triggers are so individual. Is it a craving for a particular food that sets you off? Boredom? Emotional stress? You need to try and identify what starts off your binges and then plan strategies to deal with them. Sometimes if I just want a particular food then I'll go and clean my teeth. It often doesn't seem so appealing after that! Or if I'm bored, I'll clean the bathroom or email a friend, do some exercise... There is no magic answer I'm afraid but you can work out some strategies to help you cope. they might not work all the time, but even if they stop some of your binges that's progress isn't it?

You need to be kind to yourself. If you have a binge, draw a line under it and get back on track. Expecting yourself to be 100% all of the time is setting yourself up for failure. We all make mistakes. I make mistakes on ocassion at work but I don't quit my job. Or I sometimes mess up as a mother but I don't stop being a parent.

Good luck to you. It's hard but you can do this.

One night won't do too much damage if you get straight back on plan again. Are you factoring in synned treats to your plan, or are you being super strict. Is it hormonal? Can you suss out what's triggering it ? Just been pipped by the excellent post above. Says all I was thinking.

Well done for losing so much weight! That's quite an achievement! You say that you will stick to SW for weeks and then binge and 'ruin' it all. I'm sorry, but there's no way you can 'put back on all the weight you've lost' in one binge. Even if it's a HELL on a binge, 3,500 calories = 1lb so to even gain 4bs you'd have to eat 14,000 calories. That's an awful, awful lot. I've been known to binge with the best (worst?) of them, and I don't think even I could eat that much in one sitting. You often see a large gain on the scales after a binge because binge food is often high in fat and salt which causes our body to hang on to extra water.

What I suspect is really happening is that you stick to SW for a good few weeks, start feeling poitive about yourself and your lifestyle change etc. Then you have a bad day, a moment of weakness of whatever and that starts off a binge. Then, the next morning you're full of remorse and guilt, you get on the scales and you see a big gain. You think, 'what's the point? I've ruined all my good work! How could I do that?' You get into a cycle of guilt which makes you feel bad so you binge again and then feel even more guilty... Does this sound familier at all? I can certainly identify with it. I've done it on previous diets time and time again.

What you need to do is to break the cycle of guilt. If you have a binge, that's not ideal obviously, but the thing to do is to immediately get back on the wagon. Don't let yourself believe you've 'ruined' everything because you won't have. One bad day (even if it's REALLY bad) won't derail your progress. Not getting back on the wagon afterwards is what is really hindering your progress.

As for tips for stopping binging, it's difficult to say because triggers are so individual. Is it a craving for a particular food that sets you off? Boredom? Emotional stress? You need to try and identify what starts off your binges and then plan strategies to deal with them. Sometimes if I just want a particular food then I'll go and clean my teeth. It often doesn't seem so appealing after that! Or if I'm bored, I'll clean the bathroom or email a friend, do some exercise... There is no magic answer I'm afraid but you can work out some strategies to help you cope. they might not work all the time, but even if they stop some of your binges that's progress isn't it?

You need to be kind to yourself. If you have a binge, draw a line under it and get back on track. Expecting yourself to be 100% all of the time is setting yourself up for failure. We all make mistakes. I make mistakes on ocassion at work but I don't quit my job. Or I sometimes mess up as a mother but I don't stop being a parent.

Good luck to you. It's hard but you can do this.

Fantastic advice and a really good way of thinking to keep things in perspective with your work example. I had an iffy weekend but straight back on track today without making myself sick with worry about it!!

Just keep trying - don't give up even if you slip up! It's a marathon not a race!! :)

Hey! Well done on your weight loss! I would look at why you are binging (easier said than done) and what are the trigger points. Are you being too strict and then 'rebelling against the plan' if so make sure you are allowing yourself enough syns and treats. Always have syn free / low syn treats available and possibly clear out the temptation? Good luck - you can do it! You have done before :) x

Back