STS :( dont think this is the diet for me

5sttogo said:
it was last week jo not this week and i lost 6lb last week? i really dont believe in ketosis. I have had a conversation with my doc was honest with everything i have ate over 3 week period she advised me to stop immediately i therefore will be listening to her. i will have done more damage to my metabolism than good and she has ordered bloods and recommended a diet of 1500 kcal's and swimming 3 times a week.

Ketosis is a scientific fact so not sure how you don't believe it but each to their own,you're definitely doing more damage than good if you're not going to stick to the diet.Goodluck with calorie counting

Hi 5sttogo - I agree with a lot of what has been said but I also see where you're coming from. This diet is extreme and it is frustrating because I too have done other diets where I have treated myself around once a week and still steadily lost. This is clearly not an option on this diet, but then I don't know many other diets were you would expect to lose so much each month :) My other diet was fine but it was very slow and I stupidly fell out of the pattern of doing it and now with my wedding looming in July 2013 I need to lose the weight quick! I do see your point though because we are eating so few calories and so you would think that the odd treat wouldn't hurt but as the others say it is about being in ketosis. I hope the diet your doctor suggests works and you are happier. However, not to be antagonistic but I don't really think you can say that you don't believe in ketosis - it is science :(! Also, MANY many many many different doctors will have many many many different views on this kind of diet - some will hate it and some will say it's great - I have friends who are doctors and they differ greatly in their views on some things.

Anyway, good luck!

<3_my_cat_x said:
Hi sorry Blossom got there before me with the science point! x

Haha on the ball me :) everything you say is so true! people have been known to live 70+ days without food because of ketosis,and you even experience ketosis when sleeping for long periods of time! Agreed on the drs too,its just personal preference,my dr is very supportive of these types of diets,and they're proven to lower cholesterol,and ketosis had even been used to stop seizures in children with epilepsy,this post kinda got my back up,like a handyman blaming his tools! Great forum though and great people so hope everyone reached there goal in whichever way they choose x

of course ketosis exists and works to strip fat that is science. MY Gp however does not feel this is a good way for ME to lose weight. She is a doctor who does not advocate it for anyone but that is not my issue i do not need antagonising!! The other medical professionals i see rheumatologist and my other more regular doc do not agree in vlcds but what do they know eh. I have no issue with how people do things or how they get there but docs go through a lot of training and to have a go at me is seriously unfair. I do not believe in ketosis in a sense that if you eat a deficit in calories you should be losing weight that also have much research done and i can assure you i am seriously under for the week blip included factor in the cost on top to follow this type of diet and the fact the only true fat i will have lost is 5lbs i could have done this way more conventionally.

The one thing i have got from this diet is portion control so i wont be going away empty handed although i do now feel this forum is full of scary people *****!

No one has ha a go at you(not that I can see-and I've followed your thread) and you can hardly say people on minis are scary! People are only trying to help :confused:

Calm down! Like Welshtigger has said no-one is having a go at you! For goodness sake - the only person here being rude/critical/sarcastic is YOU

the 8 chocs even including that which i did, scientifically with the calorie deficit i should have lost and i did not have a cheat meal this week not that it matters!!!
hiya i was just reading ur post and i think you should stick to the plan, i have mild pcos and i also have a major underactive thyroid problem that im on meds for and i just restarted the plan im on day 3 now the last time i was on the plan i lost over 2 stone in 2 months which is amazing i know its difficult when you have health issues but we all have to stay away from ANYTHING that may knock us out of ketosis chocs or small treats will defo knock yo out also with having pcos and thyroid troubles there are some weeks i dont lose anything on plan but the following week u will lose alot. another thing is try to make sure you drink all the water you are allowed.

just a small remark as well all the girls on here are not ever saying anything to be nasty or horrible we are all on here for support x
i hope you can stick to the plan and be a bit more positive as the plan works and will work with any1 that follows it correctly x

I agree with what's been said,the only person being rude is you,we have only tried to help,this diet does advise you to check with your gp beforehand,so why you didn't initially check with your dr I don't know? If you did you obviously ignored there advice?You've asked for advice here and I know I've tried to help best I can,it feels like you make your own rules up as you go? You started a Vlcd,despite all your drs not agreeing with it,then decide you can make up your own cheat days and still lose because of the low calories,and then get angry when people have pointed out your faults,I wish you the best with your weightloss,we are all here to help each other and are here for the same reasons! X

I'm so very sorry you feel the way you do, but you do feel that that and probably nothing anyone can say now will lesson that for you. I understand how pcos can make you feel, and how blooming frustrating things can get. Can I be bold enough to point you in the direction of another support forum? Verity is a charity run by women with pcos for women with pcos. It has a lively discussion board where you can find support on all aspects of pcos including weight loss. There are ladies following all sorts of different plans on there, but the difference to here is that they all have pcos.

Please don't give up on your goals - check out Verity and see how many success stories there are on there. And, as an aside, you have lost fat this week for sure, you've just replaced that weight with water weight from replenishing your glycogen levels. If you hadn't lost anything, then you'd show a gain. I hope you can take the positive from that and move towards the goal you are seeking.

This is all meant with support for you from one pcos sufferer to another :)

sorry u feel like s**t Hun! I felt like that at times too also you've had the same prob with me with this insomnia malarkey, which was messing with my state of mind and rationalising. I felt like it pulled me into a mild depression for a bit. How has your sleeping gone lately? Iv'e also had a string of health issues and the reason for me to do a vlcd was to ease the pressure my weight was putting on my body. My weight's just led to so many problems. Do you think the dissagreement from your dr, and other health advisors may be making you feel more rubbish? I know my old dr would shrug off something like this. But the Dr I have now and health proffesionals I see have just been very positive about vlcds, which really helped my decision to go for it and having my drs approval has given me that sense of satisfaction. I also have pcos and from the research I have come across and advise, vlcds have proven to be very succesfull. Just take a step back for a bit if ur still having sleeping problems and once you have that sorted review the situation. Being in the right frame of mind is key. You'l find that head space just give urself time.

Sam what ever you do Im behind you hun , but what ever diet you choose you need to stick to it good weeks or bad..and your Dr well...I went to mine 4 stone in and had blood tests cos of hair loss...he told me to come off it and go on Atkins cos it had worked for him...they dont know it all babes....Im no Dr but I do know every pound you are lighter is better for your health.
When Iv had bad days I have the battle with myself ..we all know the one *SW or WW would be better* but at the end of the day I know I cheat myself on them too at least with slim and save I know I get results.
Like one lady said earlier in your thread as well, I too just weigh once a month now it stops all this mental torture like you have gone thru today.
Jo
x

This is a really interesting thread- I didn't realise how important ketosis was in terms of not going into starvation mode.

I also didn't realise it was okay to be rude to people you had turned to for help and advice.

You live and learn.

time of the month/hunger/frustration/inner demons w/e can all bring out the inner ***** in us all I guess huh...I know with me thats so...bigger picture= were all here to give each other support no matter how ya day is rolling (or if the answers we get aint what we realy wanna hear)...will be me or you tomoz having the bad day so best not to judge eh
Jo x

That's me every day! Have to say for me the biggest downside of the diet is my general down mood. Am not a judgemental person at all usually, but was really disappointed with the tone of this thread. I've never seen anything even remotely negative on here before. T'is a shame is all.

May we all find peace on planet diet.

I can only speek for myself here but..
after maybe 3/4 weeks my body and mind stopped fighting me and accepted this is how my diet is rolling now
also after that time I didnt wanna let myself down...its kinda like 3/4 weeks make or break a habit ...just know you are worth it x

This is a really interesting thread- I didn't realise how important ketosis was in terms of not going into starvation mode.

I also didn't realise it was okay to be rude to people you had turned to for help and advice.

You live and learn.

:)

Well girls I am not the original poster but I would certainly like to thank you all for the great advice you have all given as it has really made me understand things more clearly.

You see like the op I have a ton of gynaecological issues & thyroid disease so I have always had something to blame for my weight gain.

This is my 2nd week of S&S and last week I lost 8lbs but then had to take Sunday night off for a family event which involved a lot of Indian food. I tried my best to eat low carb but couldn't resist the call of the nan bread so gained 3lbs overnight which I expected :(.

I have been following the plan 100% since then but after 3 full days I'm still showing a 3lb gain which i couldn't understand so of course I was starting to doubt the diet thinking it wasn't working but your explanation has helped explain that most of the re-gain was probably water weight which won't go until I re-enter ketosis hopefully in the next few days.

Like the op I have spent years doing the ww/sw type diets where you can have the odd night off and still loss weight so I think it's all about accepting that VLCD's work differently and yes you have to be much stricter with yourself to stay in ketosis but it's worth it for the great weekly losses you get.

I've got 31lbs left to loss so I know I can either go back to following WW and have the odd night off but with a average loss of 1lb a week it would take me at least another 31wks to get to my goal weight where as if I stick to S&S and skip the treats i could be at my goal weight in under 10wks, so I know what I'll be doing :).

5sttogo I know exactly how you are feeling but I really think you should stick with it and you'll start seeing results xx

tracyx, like you and the op I have thyroid issues and the GP is now thinking I have PCOS too, find losing weight sooo difficult, I have on this diet managed a steady 2lbs per week. Not as much as some, but good for me. My Dr does not agree with VLCD's unless it is pre-surgery but admits that results on my cholesterol and blood pressure are beneficial for me.

I have generally found this forum to be extremely supportive, a little to supportive at times ("never mind the 8 slices of pizza, dust yourself off and start again" when what I needed was "and you wonder why you stayed the same last week, if you are letting little cheats in it's not going to work", but that's just me)

This thread has shown me that actually we can all do the 'tough love' approach at times, and so we should.

5sttogo- I wish you all the best for the future, what ever weight loss plan you follow.

I think we all need to look inside ourselves on those STS weeks, did I have a few little cheats? Did I eat more than my veg allowance, did that pinch of cake do more damage than good? Doing this and taking ownership of our cheats/ falls etc is the first step on the road to changing our long term habits.

Back