Students thread

I'm with you there Jade. It's all a matter of memory, which I don't have much off! I found though that if I revise, make key points and highlight the key words....and repeatedly revise this smaller list, something sticks in my memory. I don't know if that would help you at all :)

Nothing is sticking in and I need to have quite detailed info as I have long answer questions and I really don't know what is most likely to come up, getting so wound up :( going to fail

Nothing is sticking in and I need to have quite detailed info as I have long answer questions and I really don't know what is most likely to come up, getting so wound up :( going to fail

Take it from me, a psychology (and sociology) student...if you think you will fail, it's likely you will. So, the only thing defeating you is yourself! Think POSITIVE! You can do this or else you wouldn't be in university/college. BELEIVE in yourself and try that method I suggested :)

In my field we often get 2 hour exams in which we have to write for about an hour for each question (So, two questions), I have a poor memory but I still manage it. Trust me, if I can, you certainly can!

Is it weird that I've always enjoyed doing essays?? lol even when I was in highschool, I just love writing. Whereas I struggle more with exams!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Not weird at all Stacey! I quite enjoy writing an essay on subjects I'm interested in. Recently I've written essays on post/late modernity, Images of self, the impact of ICTs (Information and Communication Technology), how cognition involves the nature/nurture debate and another essay in which I debated on whether we are all middle class now. You're probably yawning but to a wannabe social scientist like me this is interesting stuff, and so your subjects should get you all fired up also. I think the key point to essays is getting our opinions across, we all like to share our thoughts!

Hmm... on the one hand with exams it's all over and done with in hours, whereas essays can take days. On the other hand, I have 6 exams in 8 days and would currently prefer to have essays that are spaced out a bit more than that. I think having a balance is good.

Hmmm, yes exams are over quickly but when you consider the work and distress involved prior to an exam (never mind 6 in 8 days!) plus the joy one can get from from writing a good essay...I still prefer them to exams :)

I'll try to think positive :) I worry about everything!! lol wish I knew what was likely to come up! ha ........ I will post on Friday and let you know how I think it has gone :) fingers crossed it will be ok x

I'll try to think positive :) I worry about everything!! lol wish I knew what was likely to come up! ha ........ I will post on Friday and let you know how I think it has gone :) fingers crossed it will be ok x

Good work! Every time you get stressed out, see a red poster in your mind's eye that says "Keep Calm and I'll Be Fine!"

I am an OU student studying Law.
Love doing any type of essays but other assignments I find hard going.
Thankfully not doing too bad up to now.

All respect to you! I have a few friends at my uni who are studying law and they all say how difficult the subject is. Plus you guys have to do moots and presentations and stuff right?

Welcome to the student thread :)

SO I had my exam and it was horrible some pretty difficult questions came up but also some came up that I knew so I should have passed just not by much lol Just glad it is over!! :) x

SO I had my exam and it was horrible some pretty difficult questions came up but also some came up that I knew so I should have passed just not by much lol Just glad it is over!! :) x

And you just might surprise yourself! All the best with the results :)

Thanks MB, And I am 77 just in case you didn't know...:D

Awesome! I have long suspected that knowledge keeps us active mentally and keeps our lust for life well alive! I'm 40 in July and I want to be a student forever now! Much respect to you Emmaline! :)

I'm a mature student (30) but won't be for much longer, found out on Thursday that I now have a BSc in Mathematics First Class Honours! Not too shabby even if I do say so myself.

I'm a mature student (30) but won't be for much longer, found out on Thursday that I now have a BSc in Mathematics First Class Honours! Not too shabby even if I do say so myself.

WTG! I can imagine Mathematics classes being rather short of students. Part of doing social sciences studies involves doing formulations and nobody enjoys them! Thankfully we're doing all such formulas via a computer program next term!

WTG! I can imagine Mathematics classes being rather short of students. Part of doing social sciences studies involves doing formulations and nobody enjoys them! Thankfully we're doing all such formulas via a computer program next term!

Thanks, there were hundreds of us in first year, by fourth year there were about 50/60 all together.

Thanks, there were hundreds of us in first year, by fourth year there were about 50/60 all together.

Some of our sociology lectures are already way down on numbers, after the 1st year! Social Science Research Skills isn't popular either!

Just as a matter of interest..sme years ago when I was about 50 and I was out of work but got really fedup with being asked how many GCSEs or O levels I had and having to explain it was before my time..Derr!! So I took my GCSE English and Maths and did a Bookkeeping O Level course. Point being that they nearly all started off with about 30 people but by the end, especially with the English one, it went down to about 8!..Most being put off by having been told we would have to give a short talk on any chosen subject.

hey everyone im 1st year sociology and criminology at keele.. mature student :/ ... dieting, kids and uni are not friends!¬ lol xx

Just as a matter of interest..sme years ago when I was about 50 and I was out of work but got really fedup with being asked how many GCSEs or O levels I had and having to explain it was before my time..Derr!! So I took my GCSE English and Maths and did a Bookkeeping O Level course. Point being that they nearly all started off with about 30 people but by the end, especially with the English one, it went down to about 8!..Most being put off by having been told we would have to give a short talk on any chosen subject.

Ah yes, the feared public speech! I'm a union rep at my university and I avoid public addresses whenever possible. Get me in a smaller group though and I don't shut up!

Back