Study About Maintaining After Weight Loss

weasey

Gold Member
Thanks weasey! looks interesting, i'm planning around another month on SnS then aim to do something similar to what's in the article.

Thanks Weasey - I only just noticed this :). Like EvieT high protein, low GI is what I'm aiming for for maintenance too. I will count calories though I think as MFP does that automatically and if I count calories I also should be getting portions sizes right which is another thing I did wrong previously. My food weighing scales are now a permanent fixture on my kitchen worktop and there they will stay. I am getting better at judging things that I have been having a lot though - so 6 thin slices of courgette are 50g, and 1 medium mushroom is about 30g, and the really big ones are about 80g, and I know what 100g of chicken looks like so hopefully this is all setting me up for future success. Pity all my favourite fruits are on the 'have in limited quantities' list (I love :heartpump: bananas) but I'll just have to get used to liking apples more :).

I was having a conversation with someone at work who is on SW and she was eating lunch which was some sort of chicken and rice meal. She said that it was 'free' and that she could eat as much of that as she wanted but I can't get straight in my head how foods can be unlimited. Surely that relies on people having an internal stop control and I know that I'm bad at that so portion control is definitely important to me in maintenance.

I think that's why SW doesn't work for some people. If it's free and I want something (and I always wanted something!) then I would eat it. Not a good diet for me! Different approaches work for different people. I like what I'm learning about portion control doing the 3 packs plus protein meal thing and using MFP. At some point in my life I may be able to step away from MFP but I think it'll be a major part of my maintenance plan for many years to come!

I hope to use MFP regularly too but it was a lot more effort during my week off than when I'm S&Sing. There were so many different foods to look up and quantities etc. weren't always easy to find or assess. The limited choices and the packs on S&S are a breeze in comparison but I'll definitely need the discipline of entering everything for quite a while until (hopefully!) I become comfortable in maintenance.

What is MFP?

Thanks Weasey for sharing this article. I've been aware of the GI for a while but it's never something I've looked at in detail. It's certainly something I will be referring to when I'm refeeding and maintaining.
I'm a sucker for convenience foods, not so much frozen/ ready meals or takeaways (although I LOVE Chinese takeaway) but things like pasties, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, crisps, sandwiches... I put a lot of my weight gain down to buying food every time I went into any shop, newsagent, filling station I went in! I also love white bread, pasta and rice and now I'm a grown up it's time I started making healthy choices.
I wasn't sure when I was going to refeed but I think I'm going to wait until I feel that I'm ready to be in control. I'm not, yet. I still feel that if I start eating again I'll binge. My thought process is changing though, and after putting in so much hard work to lose weight I am more determined than ever to keep it off.
Weasey, when did your attitude towards food change? Was it a gradual process or was it close to, or at goal? Are you finding the transition from a VLCD to a healthy diet difficult or has it come quite naturally?

It was gradual. I'm only just starting to refeed though so I can't help with how well it has worked - literally started last Friday! I've started a thread in the SnS Refeed forum.

Oh and all the savoury carbs were my thing too (although vegetarian versions at that time). I'm intending to stay low carb when maintaining.

Back