Substituting shakes

fattytothinny2007 said:
if shakes can be subbed, why not do away with them and have bars and protein ?

The shakes CAN'T be substituted but if they could Why would we want to do that??? If we wanted to have bars and protein then we'd do Atkins. People ate doing exante by choice FOR the shakes

but u might argue, why pay for exante branding if cheaper items get the same effect eg these bars are cheaper alternatives yet work like their bars

yep what i mean is, that the diet can be 3 of any shake/bar/soup combo cant it

so one meal is bar, which can be modified with a cheaper one like the alternatives mentioned, with no ill effect

so therefore, couldnt the others, for example the choc shake mix measure up is almost identical to the choc exante shake (just looked at both in front of me)

* note not the tetras, but the measure up choc mix that you add to water, tetras are syrup!

so technically, you could do 2 of those shakes, 1 bar, and have the same effect for a lot less cost

i do wonder sometimes if the shakes arent just very good media branding for what is essentially low cal/low carb, and the effect they give, can be provided in a much lower cost way if researched properly

if they were used as a tfr though, the measure up, why would they not bring on ketosis if the nutritional is almost the same as exante +/- 1 or 2 grams, and certainly no bigger difference than the bar comparisons

why would 3 exante shakes bring ketosis but 3 measure ups wouldnt, disregarding vitamins for a moment

Because the Measure up nutrients are different, theres more sugar etc in them, theyre not designed to put you in ketosis, the 2 diets are totally different. If you want to do Measure up go for it but you have to have a meal too. Its basically like Slimfast and you cant use it as a TFR

Believe me if they were suitable as a TFR Asda would be marketing them as such....

is interesting, but there isnt more sugar

choc mix - 24g carbs, 5.9g sugars per serving
choc exante - 18.4g carbs, 15.1g sugars per serving

but isnt that only on the basis on looking at vitamin content for them?

if that was disregarded for a moment, the rest is pretty much comparable, it is the mix tho and not the tetra

6g carb isnt that much higher, considering some of the bl bars and ultraslim show that kind of increase wrt the exante bars

lol Youre kinda missing the entire point! The vitamin thing is EXACTLY why you cant substitute them

With Exante packs you have 3 a day and in them you get ALL the nutrients vitamins etc your body needs to survive and stay healthy. Youre getting none of them in the Asda one hence why you have to have a meal and why theyre not designed as a TFR. If you have nothing but Asda shakes youre just going to go into starvation mode

6g of carbs per shake is 18g a day way more than you can have to be in ketosis. So again the carbs are why you wont be in ketosis on Asda ones

well, based on before a diet menus being pretty vitamin deficient on the majority of terms, a good vitamin pill would solve that issue

certainly worth consideration tho u have a point about the 18g extra if it were 3 shakes subbed for 3 shakes, tho the weight loss is due mainly to cals isnt it, the ketosis helps the fat burn and appetite loss

horses for courses really, one mans poison and all that

IMO its not worth considering for so much as a millisecond its so incomparible and downright dangerous

No it would be a hell of a lot more than 'a' vitamin pill. Exante packs have 9 differnt vitamins and 13 minerals. They make up 100% of your daily needs... Asdas packs make up around 30%. So youd need to take enough vitamins and supplements to make up 70%!!!! of the required amount your body needs.

Its not horses for courses its doing diets the way theyre meant to be done and not risking your health for the sake of a couple of £s a week. The Asda ones fall short in a hell of a lot more than just vitamins.

Last edited:
lol Youre kinda missing the entire point! The vitamin thing is EXACTLY why you cant substitute them

With Exante packs you have 3 a day and in them you get ALL the nutrients vitamins etc your body needs to survive and stay healthy. Youre getting none of them in the Asda one hence why you have to have a meal and why theyre not designed as a TFR. If you have nothing but Asda shakes youre just going to go into starvation mode

6g of carbs per shake is 18g a day way more than you can have to be in ketosis. So again the carbs are why you wont be in ketosis on Asda ones

Hiya

Not sure if I am missing the point here, you say 18g a day is way more carbs than you can have to be in ketosis???

If you enter a cambridge shake (not tried exante) onto myfitness pal they have 14g of carbs per shake??? So you get 42g of carbs per day on cambridge minimum!!!!
I only know this because I am using MFP and using up cambridge shakes. Just checking I have got this right!

just put 3 exante shakes into myfitness pal and carbs are 56grams and 602 calories!!

if you had x 2 measure up shakes made with powder and x 1 meal replacement bar it comes in at 624 cals and 66 carbs???

So confusing, how can you be in ketosis with this much carbs, am i looking at this right, somebody tell me I'm not going mad!

I take a multivitamin anyway and normally would have a small protein/veg meal on a teatime to keep me sane, so measure up could be a good plan for me!

Anyway look forward to hearing more about this....

OP I can see where you're coming from - in fact I'm doing a PSMF which is a VLCD based around just protein (zero carbs or fats except for EFAs), vitamins, minerals, extra calcium and electrolytes. However, I wouldn't recommend anyone just go ahead and start doing what I'm doing. If you don't know exactly how to dose the electrolytes for example you could completely mess up your potassium levels and end up very ill - or even dead.

You can be in ketosis at anywhere under ~100g carbs per day - and ketosis is completely unnecessary for fat loss anyway (I don't even get the appetite suppressing effects from it - lucky me!).

i thought you had to really cut carbs, on atkins induction it's under 20g per day! so even on exante 56g a day seems high, that's what I meant, I know Measure Up isn't a VLCD.

Back