Sugar / Sweetener in baking

Auburn

x x x
Hello :)

This should maybe go in the recipes section, not sure..

I like to bake. I make cakes, and cookies and stuff, and I am converting some of my best recipes to Syns to see how I can fit in some treats...

I have one inparticular for a cake, it uses 200g of caster sugar which is 38.5 syns before you add the flour and whatever else..
I read that for the sweetness level, you could replace this with 20g of sweetner, but would that work for the consistency? There would be too much "wet" stuff to "dry" stuff, so it would maybe be too runny to bake?

I thought I'd ask before I tried, incase anyone had any magic solutions...!

It is often worth replacing half the sugar with sweetner, and then each time you make the recipe you can replace a little more - often, keeping at least some of the sugar helps with colour, taste and overall 'cake feel' of your baking...

Sweetener is so light, I reckon 20g would be about 6 tablespoons. My whole jar is only 75g!

I make a banana cake (recipe from here) that uses sweetener & it comes out fine.

Have you tried using Splenda, I use it in all my baking, there is a brown version of Splenda as well now, it's brilliant.

I haven't tried Splenda, no... We usually have Candarel in the house, which is so powderry... I'll pick up some Splenda today, see how that works instead :D Thank you Donnie!

Back