summer motivation!

I have to wait til I'm 50 minimum so I'm nearer than you. So 6 more years to go. I've got a knee brace called an unloader which actually helps. I had the arthroscopy in 2005 with the wash out. The effect only lasted 3 months so they're not going to do that one again .
My hospital now has a poster up saying if you need joint surgery and smoke or have a BMI of over 32 you will need to ask your Primary care trust to see if they will pay for the op as its not automatic. So I'm losing weight to make sure they don't have any ammunition against me have the replacement when in old enough.
To be fair, 2 years ago before they gave me the brace he did say he would do the op if the brace didn't help but it does so I'm happy for a while as he said even at best the replacement would only give me the knees of a 65 year old . Don't think he understood when I said I'd be happy with 65 as they were useless at the minute anyway !

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

toofatkat said:
I have to wait til I'm 50 minimum so I'm nearer than you. So 6 more years to go. I've got a knee brace called an unloader which actually helps. I had the arthroscopy in 2005 with the wash out. The effect only lasted 3 months so they're not going to do that one again .
My hospital now has a poster up saying if you need joint surgery and smoke or have a BMI of over 32 you will need to ask your Primary care trust to see if they will pay for the op as its not automatic. So I'm losing weight to make sure they don't have any ammunition against me have the replacement when in old enough.
To be fair, 2 years ago before they gave me the brace he did say he would do the op if the brace didn't help but it does so I'm happy for a while as he said even at best the replacement would only give me the knees of a 65 year old . Don't think he understood when I said I'd be happy with 65 as they were useless at the minute anyway !

Oh, I'll have to ask about a brace if the microfracture doesn't work. Apparently when they went in there, the cartilage was all gone, so they're trying to grow some new stuff using microfracture. I'm 50 in a few months, but have been told I'm too young, lol. xx

Snap . I've no cartilage either but they didn't offer to try snd regrow mine :( unless it wasn't something they used to try in 2005. Who knows. All areas are different. I'm just pleased losing weight is actually helping.

Hi Kat. It may be worth asking about microfracture in that case. They make tiny holes in the bone, which makes it bleed and release stem cells which form new cartilage - apparently a lot of sports people have it done, especially basketball players in the USA. I was in and out in 5 hours, the only problem is not being able to put weight on it for six weeks, so if I'd known they were going to do it I'd have tried to build up the strength in my other leg and arms beforehand, lol. xx

Sounds interesting I might have to look into that thanks

Back