Superfree with meals always? EE

kettlechip

I do tend to eat a lot of superfree with meals but some meals I don't feel I eat enough, so around 2 hours later when I feel a bit peckish I have a few more vegetables/salad by itself. Sometimes some fruit too.

Does 1/3 superfree food have to be with meals or can it be eaten later as a snack?

I try to but don't worry if not, sometimes for lunch I will have supernoodles then have a salad or a fruit salad a couple of hours later xx

The point in the superfree is to limit the amount of non-superfree stuff you eat, so it does matter that you have it at the same time as your other food.

Ideally you would eat the superfree stuff *first*, then the rest of your meal. It doesn't work the other way round as you're just adding yet more food on top of what you've already eaten so you're not limiting your intake of higher calorie stuff.

Your superfree doesn't have to be vegetables - why not try eating some fruit that you like or whatever *before* your meal, then you would be less hungry at meal-time and could make a smaller portioned meal of non-superfree stuff. You can always have more fruit later if you still want some.

ermintrude said:
The point in the superfree is to limit the amount of non-superfree stuff you eat, so it does matter that you have it at the same time as your other food.

Ideally you would eat the superfree stuff *first*, then the rest of your meal. It doesn't work the other way round as you're just adding yet more food on top of what you've already eaten so you're not limiting your intake of higher calorie stuff.

Your superfree doesn't have to be vegetables - why not try eating some fruit that you like or whatever *before* your meal, then you would be less hungry at meal-time and could make a smaller portioned meal of non-superfree stuff. You can always have more fruit later if you still want some.

Agree with this ^^^^^^^^

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

If adding it at the meal is difficult, leave a third of your plate empty and then have the filling fibre foods later. Do not however pile high your plate and then eat more as this defeats the object

Brightonrosie said:
If adding it at the meal is difficult, leave a third of your plate empty and then have the filling fibre foods later. Do not however pile high your plate and then eat more as this defeats the object

Leaving a 1/3 rd of your plate free makes sense, but not if you going to eat your superfree later. As Ermintrude says, you need to eat it before or with your meal to help with portion control. It fills you up so you don't eat as much of the free food

Its also worth noting that fruit, whilst good for you in moderation has alot of sugar in it, natural or otherwise, and so the majority of your superfree should be vegetables not fruit.

Leaving a 1/3 rd of your plate free makes sense, but not if you going to eat your superfree later. As Ermintrude says, you need to eat it before or with your meal to help with portion control. It fills you up so you don't eat as much of the free food

Its also worth noting that fruit, whilst good for you in moderation has alot of sugar in it, natural or otherwise, and so the majority of your superfree should be vegetables not fruit.

Ah but you can't eat more free food if it isn't there to start with. Has the rule about superfree changed because in my book from last year it states that most fruit and veg is a superfree food and it doesn't have to be vegetables

Yep, leaving one third of your plate empty will help limit your free food intake as well. Just make sure you are getting your superfree in elsewhere - I wouldn't recommend it as a way of getting out of having your superfree foods.

Rosie - all fruits (except avocados and some of the exotic ones) and all vegetables except potatoes, sweetcorn, peas and parsnips

Yep, leaving one third of your plate empty will help limit your free food intake as well. Just make sure you are getting your superfree in elsewhere - I wouldn't recommend it as a way of getting out of having your superfree foods.

Rosie - all fruits (except avocados and some of the exotic ones) and all vegetables except potatoes, sweetcorn, peas and parsnips

That's what I thought but I was confused by the comment -Its also worth noting that fruit, whilst good for you in moderation has alot of sugar in it, natural or otherwise, and so the majority of your superfree should be vegetables not fruit.

a third of your plate HAS to be superfree!

Brightonrosie said:
That's what I thought but I was confused by the comment -Its also worth noting that fruit, whilst good for you in moderation has alot of sugar in it, natural or otherwise, and so the majority of your superfree should be vegetables not fruit.

This is less SW advice & just basic nutrition advice. Most fruits are higher in calories & sugar than veg, so it is recommended that 2/3rds of your fruit/veg intake is veg. You can get alot of the vitamins people associate with fruit (vit c in particular) in greater quantities in veg anyway.

Also, you should eat fruit before a meal or on an empty stomach as it is generally digested quicker than most other food.

Exactly that- it breaks down quickly in your stomach in relation to other foods so you don't really want it sitting on top of heavier food in your tummy.

The official line is with every meal - and I tend to stick to that; mainly because my aim is to fill myself up when I eat so I don't have room to stuff a piece of fruit down afterwards.

If you're not going to have it with your meal though you could always start your meal with some soup...

If not try doing some Red/Green days as the 1/3 isn't a rule on those plans.

xx

Back