Supermarkets are full of bad food...

You'll have to learn how to cook Mike :)

Hi What I dont understand Is when looking at light 25%less fat digestive or rich tea biscuits I look on the calories per biscuits and the reduced fat one is sometimes higher in calories than the normal one . I think you are better buying the normal one if there Is not much difference calories wise .I once read that low fat products are not worth buying because they take some ingredients out and put something else in.:)

Bethany
Good Luck

You'll have to learn how to cook Mike :)

Funnily enough I cook all the time now, I very rarely eat processed food because you can't find any decent ones.

My little slow cooker can usually be found bubbling away while I am at work making me a lovely chicken stew for when I get in !

M.

Hi What I dont understand Is when looking at light 25%less fat digestive or rich tea biscuits I look on the calories per biscuits and the reduced fat one is sometimes higher in calories than the normal one . I think you are better buying the normal one if there Is not much difference calories wise .I once read that low fat products are not worth buying because they take some ingredients out and put something else in.:)

Bethany
Good Luck

Oh absolutely!! Low fat doesn't mean healthy (and that's something I never realised)

Funnily enough I cook all the time now, I very rarely eat processed food because you can't find any decent ones.

My little slow cooker can usually be found bubbling away while I am at work making me a lovely chicken stew for when I get in !M.

Aaah Love my slow cooker.

Anyway I sound like a grumpy git so going to stop moaning now.

M.

No, please don't! I'm loving this thread. It's a subject so close to my heart and there's so much misinformation out there. It's good to discuss it.

This is a great thread you've started, Icemoose.

I remember when 'eating out' with friends or family when doing LL, I would look at their plates and feel aghast at the vast amount of food on the plate. I realised for the first time that portion sizes are ridiculous. I suppose that's another thread - too much food at restaurants!

As for low fat foods. Oh dear, the rubbish I ate thinking it was good for me! As someone mentioned, if it was low fat I could have twice as much.

I haven't had processed food for a long time, and have found that cooking from scratch actually doesn't take long. A salmon steak (or tuna or mackeral) only takes a few minutes under the grill. Add a crisp salad, steamed veg, noodles (at the moment the rest of the family has the noodles). A complete meal in less than ten minutes start to finish, and I have control over the ingredients.

Ya know, I've been cooking from scratch forever. I don't remember a time when I didn't. Not being saintly or anything :D, just often didn't think to get the other stuff 'when it was just as easy to do it myself'.

But I do think in the main, it takes longer than convenience foods. You certainly need to plan better, but people overestimate how much longer it will take.

My kids didn't have the jars or the packets and when my friends said they didn't have time to do it that way, my reply was that I didn't have time to do it any other way.

After all, I was just blending my own meals most of the time. Okay...near the beginning it was just the veg or whatever but it just seemed so much quicker and easier that way. People were always telling me it must take hours and hours:confused:

I do think that many people don't go do the cooking from scratch way because

a) They think it will take ages
b) They just haven't been taught how to
c) They assume they won't like it.

I think you're right Karion. I've been showing my kids how easy it is to cobble together a quick meal from scratch, but yes, planning is sometimes needed. If I can chose from a good set of basic ingredients it is surprising what can be achieved.

If I can chose from a good set of basic ingredients it is surprising what can be achieved.

Tis true. The thing is, you have to think about it in the first place. You have to have the confidence to just chuck this and that in.

I rarely follow recipe books. I look at them though and if they have any more than 5 ingredients, I start shaking :D

Yet my cooking often does have more than 5.:confused:

There just doesn't seem to be enough info out there for basic cooking with a few ingredients, written in easy language.

Is it me, or was food better in the old days before all of this adulterated muck? Now everything is ready prepared for us, they add hydrogenated veg oil and a bucket of salt to it, and gradually we are weaned onto eating rubbish - I dread to think of our kids futures. In some ways I count myself lucky that my child can't eat junk food too easily because she has multiple food allergies - at least I HAVE to study the ingredients before I let her eat it! I knew there had to be an up side to her problems. But really manufacturers are storing up problems for the future - I think our generation (and we are probably the most sensitive ones) are the first to experience the consequences of 'convenience' meals. But life is so busy we kind of feel we need them too, says sinlge working mom over here!

Phew, thanks for the opportunity to have a good rant (and really I'm not as old as I sound in this post - I'm only 33!!!)

I love this thread!

When I started WW last year I was constantly looking at labels to calculate points, but TBH the amount of salt in food scared me to death!

I need to plan better for when I have finished CD, cos there is no way in hell I am going back to eating the rubbish I used to eat, even though it was missold as being good for us!

I must admit when I read Icemoose's first posting, I had to think about this as it's something I hadn't noticed.

Why? Because I buy my fruit and veg at the market, or off a local stall (or neighbours give me things!). I buy my meat at the butcher's... and I pretty much only use the supermarket for cleaning products and loo rolls etc these days! (oh and tins of tomatoes, of course!)

This has just become such a habit for me now!

I totally agree... But a couple of thoughts on this thread.

- You go into Asda/Tesco etc fresh chicken quite expensive, breadcrumb, batter chicken breast less than half the price....

- You eat out the cheapest places at the most unhealthy eg-Toby Carvey, lovely roast great price, but all the veg is saturated in butter or summat.

- cooking books, I look at some of the old ones my grandparents have and they are quite simple with few ingredients, look at the more modern ones there are so many ingredients it is so easy to pick up a jar.

- It is the phychological thinking as it is what parents did.

- You watch TV in the evening 'ie the ITV drama's at 9ish, they are sponsered by a food place and show lovely food at that time of night and regradless whether you are physically hungrry I think it gets your saliva glands going and wanting food.

I have had my rant now, I think I will settle down for my day off work and loads of CIMA work.... :cry:

"...they add hydrogenated veg oil and a bucket of salt to it, and gradually we are weaned onto eating rubbish".

You're so right Clarabell - it's scary!

"...thanks for the opportunity to have a good rant".

Feel free to have a rant here. We should get together (everyone who has replied to this thread) and have a good rant - we'll probably be thrown out of the pub!

On another subject, I've been watching the news about this M151 outbreak in a turkey farm and it has brought forward all sorts of feelings of discomfort that we have evolved this type of food production.

I think it is yet another symptom of a bigger problem in this country that we are getting more and more distant from the origins of food. I wonder that if we kept a cow for milk or a pig for meat or chickens for eggs we would appreciate the animals and what they produce more. Sorry, I'm rambling here.

Wow I was thinking about this the other day. I was walking around Tescos to get food for my AAM week and just could not believe the cra*p everywhere! In the end I bought organic veg and organic cod, I am still unsure about quorn but thought I will try it. I am never eating processed foods again, this diet has taught me something - "you are what you eat"

Tis true. The thing is, you have to think about it in the first place. You have to have the confidence to just chuck this and that in.

I rarely follow recipe books. I look at them though and if they have any more than 5 ingredients, I start shaking :D

Yet my cooking often does have more than 5.:confused:

There just doesn't seem to be enough info out there for basic cooking with a few ingredients, written in easy language.

Try Nigel Slater's "Real Fast Food" - Penguin, 1993, mine cost £5.99 then. Subtitle is: 350 recipes ready to eat in 30 minutes.

Utterly superb, real, fresh, fast food.

He also wrote "Real Fast Puddings", Penguin, 1994, costing £5.99 then. Deeeeeelicious, for when we're allowed the extra calories - but all good, nutritious food to boot.

Beware the advertsing on so called low fat products, i think Go-Ahead were hauled over the coals by watchdog for misleading people, they advertised thier brand as 90% Fat free, which meant it contained 10% fat more than some normal cheaper lines, biscuits etc...:eek:

Unfortunately/Fortunately I cook, I always choose healthy foods, I buy my meat from the Butchers, my fruit and veg is seasonal from a local organic farm and I have always felt very cocky about the fact that My Family Eats Healthyly, OMG what a chump I am, in my case it is the portion sizes that are my downfall. I do shop in Waitrose and Aldi and I now read all the lables and I am reducing the size of portions I dish up.

I am married to a farmer and my family are farmers, hence the food was always good and my Nan was a cracking cook but I was always chubby because you had to clear the plate you were not allowed to leave anything.

But with my children I never force them and if anything is left next time I make it I dish up less, and apart from curry my dogs will eat anything!!!!

I am definitely a more conciencious shopper and query everything I buy now and that is thanks to doing CD.

Thats me done!!! for the mo.

Back