Supersize Vs Superskinny

SkinniMinnie

Mum On A Misson
Does anyone watch this on E4? I give it a go sometimes and the programme definately has its good points. However, I don't like the main premise of diet switching. Surely it can't be healthy for either person? The Supersized person will be crash dieting by eating close to nothing and the Superskinny person will be trying to eat meals that, for them, are monstrously huge! That cannot be good for their system.

I appreciate that the point is to shock the people into realising just how unhealthy their eating habits are but I don't agree with the way the programme attempts to do this. The point is to get both people eating healthily so why switch them from one unhealthy way of eating to a different unhealthy way of eating?

I don't want this post to come across as an attack on the programme, like I said it does have some good aspects, but I have a problem with the central idea, two reasons I have outlined. What do you guys think, agree/disagree? Am I missing something maybe?

But sometimes this is the only way to realise how bad their eating habits are. And it's only for a very short time under medical supervision. I like the program. Much better tha biggest loser where people are encouraged to lose weight far too quick than is healthy.

I agree with you about The Biggest Loser. Turning weight loss into a gameshow is a recipe for disaster I think.

The focus is on "big numbers" and losing weight as quickly as possible not safely losing weight and sustaining that weight loss for the long term. I always wonder what happens to the contestants after they leave that highly pressurized situation and rejoin the real world where they are cooking their own meals, where they have to make the effort to exercise with no personal trainer there to shout them on.

Our bodies are designed to gain and hold on to fat. When we lose weight our bodies try to recoup that weight as quickly as possible which could be why so many people regain weight and why it's so hard to maintain your new, healthy weight.

I agree. I would love to see follow ups on people to see if they stuck to it. It just surprises me that people think it's good to loose 1stone in 1week. People get told it's bad to just lose 1 or 2 pounds.

When I first heard of the program I thought how can people with opposite extremes get better looking at each other? Like, surely the really skinny person has their lifestyle to not be like the other extreme etc? But after watching I realised that they almost always build a bond and support each other. Different issues but all revolve around their relationship with food and/or lifestyle.

I was trying to talk my partner round to the idea of the program but he doesn't like that sound of it at all. I remember even saying "Aw, one of the skinnier people said that the really overweight one has a pretty face and she'd look prettier losing it." I thought this was a compliment but he says that sounds patronizing and condescending... I guess it can be looked like that but it seemed like it was meant and said nicely. That's an interesting view point though. I'm still going to get him to watch a program some time! He may change his mind.

My boyfriend likes the program.
I am sure the comment was meant nice.
Really wish they would give more of an insight what plan the people are following. They all do pretty well.

I am addicted!
I watch at least 1 episode every day (even if ive already seen it) on the 4od website!! I find it so motivational, especially when they show the clip from the morbidly obease person in america! It really boosts me to carry on when i'm feeling low! :) xx

I've started watching loads! I tended to avoid them before i decided to lose weight, made feel uncomfortable. Its easier to listen to idea that no breakfast, and crisps and cake are not a healthy lunch when you know you've changed that.. I alway knew it was bad i just didn't really want to listen. Now i find it quite therapeutic to see other people recognise why they eat so badly and see similarities to why i did.

I'm addicted to all of these weight loss programmes and love watching how people deal with their weight issues. Watching supersize and also fat families on saturdays at the mo and feel gutted if I forget fat families as it's not avaliable on catch up tv

eek! Just looked at the tv listings and fat families doesn't appear to be on this week. Does anyone know if it's finished?

I think it's to show the person who's diet it is, just how bad their diet is, if that makes sense? Seeing someone else try to manage it. :)

I've actually gotten into this a bit more since starting the thread :ashamed0005: And it's good that they take the Superskinny aside and show them how unhealthy their way of eating is as some of them really don't seem to realise that there is any room for improvement in their own eating habits! I know that some people think as long as they (or someone else) is thin then they are healthy but this is just not true.

I remember the healthy eating storyline in Coronation Street a little while ago; Kylie and David (Platt) took offense to being told that Max's lunch was unhealthy. One of them protested saying that he was slim but that's really missing the point. A child can be slim but if they are being fed nothing but salt and sugar laden processed meals it will be bad for their growing bodies. Also, often when children grow up they move less and continue the eating habits they learned when they were young so they put on weight then.

xAlisonx, Fat Families is one of my favourites. I haven't seen a new episode in ages. :( It's on Sky Living at weekends, 10 am on Saturday and 12 noon on Sunday, if you have that channel. Currently it's Second Helpings and this weekend will feature the Jeapes and the Haddrells.

Back