Surgery?

bunnycd

I went to the paper shop this morning to get myself a mag and I bought "New You"

I did not realise until I got home that the mag contained weight loss surgery stories! ahhh There were loads of stories of how women shrunk their stomachs under the knife in some far distant country.

Reading the stories was quite disturbing as I felt it glorified surgery. The weird thing was that each person who underwent surgery had tried WW SW Atkins GI but NOT Cambridge?

You would presume that doctors/anyone would recommend them CD/LL before risking their lives on an operating table?

I am not against surgery but surely trying CD first would be better than risking your life?

Oh and I also bought a weight watchers mag which contained 1-2 stone loss success stories which took a YEAR to achieve.

It just made me realise that WW is a rip off if you have more than 2 stone to loose. It took me 2 years to loose 5 stone on WW six years ago.

It will be good to hear how everyone feels about Surgery and thoughts on WW?

Last edited:
I was pricing up surgery in Belgium and beginning to organise how I'd finance it when I stumbled upon CD.

I'm so, so glad I didn't take the surgery route. As for doctors not recommending a VLCD before surgery ....

if you go down the private surgery route, does your own GP even need to be involved? I don't know. Besides, LOTS of doctors don't even know about VLCDs and some condemn them (even if they haven't researched the benefits to the morbidly obese). They just jump on the 'no food = automatically bad for your health' approach even when that's not what a VLCD is all about.

All I know is that this diet has undoubtedly extended my life as I had some pretty heavy-duty obesity related health problems which have now been improved because of the weight loss. Must be a good thing surely?

if you go down the private surgery route, does your own GP even need to be involved? I don't know.

quote]

Hi Russiandoll,

The answer to your question is yes. If you want to see a private doctor a GP referral is needed. They usually wont see you unless they have a GP referral.

I only know this because i work for a local GP and book the appointments for patients and send the referrals.

I hope this answers your question :)

The weird thing was that each person who underwent surgery had tried WW SW Atkins GI but NOT Cambridge?

You would presume that doctors/anyone would recommend them CD/LL before risking their lives on an operating table?

They may have been contraindicated which means they are unsuitable for following a VLCD.

It just made me realise that WW is a rip off if you have more than 2 stone to loose. It took me 2 years to loose 5 stone on WW six years ago.

Some people DO have similar results to VLCDs doing WW - it's often in how your body responds. Both my mother and my sister lost quite a bit of weight following WW, and in quite a short timeframe. Unfortunately it didn't work for me because I wasn't good at making the 'right' choices.

i hate doctors or needles and all that stuff but i got so deperate to lose weight that i did consider surgery. did SW & WW. always lost the will cos of having so much to lose. had tried lipotrim and thought it to be foul. hubby begged me to exhaust all avenues first before doing something so drastic and then i chanced upon the LL magazine which led me to CD. thank god! i love CD and am glad i picked up the LL mag, thinking it was just a generic weight/fitness mag.

having said all that though, i am already saving up to have any loose skin removed and maybe a boob and face lift

I was think about surgery but my family thought i should try again to lose the weight myself so yet again i went back to ww but i kept thinking there must be something else so went to docs and it was she that said about vlcds, thats when i heard about cambridge

Back