Susie's 2022 campaign

Blimey what a day! All sorts of issues with the IT at the new job, but which will hopefully be sorted out tomorrow.

And Builder 3 (who is 5 star rated off Checkatrade) says he'll have to rip out all the kitchen and put it all back again, making the electrics safe and fixing the plumbing - which had been done so wrong, the waste water would have been feeding through the dishwasher! It's going to cost loads more than I thought, I put my head in my hands when he told me - but it needs doing, and it needs to be safe. Unfortunately i have to wait untgil September, unless they have a cancellation.

But I did sit and work out the figures and I think so far, including the tiles which will need chipping off and chucking, it's about £1K down the drain. I can't afford to waste any money, but it's happened and I just need to focus on ending up with a lovely, properly finished kitchen in the future. Lucky I don't drink any more!

The stress has meant it's a bit of an eating carbs day, but I haven't gone mad -

B - SW breakfast pot
L - SW pasta bolognese, and two sandwich thins with ham and salad (they really are thin!), apple
D - SW chips and mayo (2), Solero (5)

Think processed foods, and possibly E451, might be causing the jippy tummy, as well as broccoli and the highly processed wholemeal supermarket loaf - will keep doing the diary and see what happens over a week.

Your work day sounds like my husbands. They done some IT changeovers at the weekend and yesterday it’s couldn’t do a lot until it was fixed. Still not.

if that was me with the kitchen I would have to get trading standards in to look at the mess and get my money back. You can’t keep letting these dodgy workmen get
away with crap and dangerous work. You have time if it can’t be done properly until September.

I know you're right, and it's not that I have money to burn, but I just hate the stress that something like that brings, it makes me quite ill - so I try and avoid it. Plus it's a combination of two dodgy builders, so it's just too much to think about. I'd much rather look to the future, and think positive vibes.

You were also right @Mary2020, i think i do have IBS, spoke to the GP this morning, who agreed - and also a friend, who's OH gets it with exactly the same food - fibre. This pretty much rules out SW as an eating plan because it's high fibre, I think it would be difficult to do it without that.

The GP suggested keto, so will give that a go in the next few days. Don't have much carby stuff in the house, but it's been ages since I did any kind of low carb eating plan, I'm not sure where to start. Will jump on Google and see if i can find some basic eating plans.

When I was first diagnosed a dr told me I was to up my fibre and immodium would become my friend. I didn't want immodium as a friend so it's taken me a couple of years to find what foods suits me and too much fibre does not. Also drink a glass of water before eating then wait an hour or so before having a drink after eating.

At the beginning I done the Low FODMAP Diet and found that helped as they have the traffic light system and amounts. They have an app and a great website..

IbS has several known trigger foods for us who have it. I have it through having sjogrens which in turn gave me tummy issues. It has taken many years of trial and error on what i find triggers bouts of IBS I can't eat onion raw and can only have limited amounts cooked. I can only eat very small amounts of garlic. If you keep a food diary you maybe able to see what triggers your food issues. Or at least limit down to a few possibilities. I know what it is like. My best friend use to be an heat pad which was on my tummy for hours on end. After figuring what triggers me i have very few bouts. I now eat reasonably healthy diet and a lot less rubbish which has helped as well. So the last few months have proved beneficial for my tummy.

Fibre is well known as an IBS trigger I thought, I found I was fine with white bread but wholemeal bread set mine off. I have a friend who used FODMAP to good effect too. I know someone who can't have tomatoes, it's really diverse and individual.

Morning everyone - what a cracking day here! Thank you to you all for your suggestions/triggers/etc re IBS - I'm slowlhy narrowing down the culprits to high levels of fibre, wholemeal bread, apples and the SW ready meals, and I;m sure there will be other triggers in the future.

For now I;m just avoiding any kind of eating plan per se and adopt clean eating as often as I can - my mate, who's family all suffer from IBS, is convinced it's to do with the high level of processed foods they used to eat, and i agree when I checked some of the labels of things I was eating - E numbers galore!

I've got the Alice clean eating books and there's lots of recipes online, so will sit down this week and plan out a 7 day menu, while I use up the SW meals I've got in the freezer. I refuse to throw any more food out - and if i am affected by it at least I'm not working and unlikely to suiddenly have to leave a Teams meeting LOL.

Really appreciate all your comments, keep them coming, and clean eating recipe favourites too please xx

I would keep away from chocolate due to the fat and sugar content. Unless you can just eat a couple of squares which I can't.
Also try and limit dairy as the lactose can trigger ibs symptoms.

Good advice as always, thanks @Mary2020.

Well ladies, it has been a brilliant day here and now have a perfectly clean garden instead of a jungle outside! My neighbour's grandson (a lovely young guy) and his friend and their wives got stuck in today and have done an incredible job - with plans for him to work on the garden regularly, put in new fences and a gate that closes woohoo! and lots of other projects in the house. And his wife is going to do a bit of a clean insuide, with stuff that I can't manage any more.

I really can't believe the difference, and all the mare's tail got dug up and disposed of separately. He knows he'll have to keep cutting it back, but I'll keep an eye out for it sprouting again too and pull it out - so hopefully between us it'll be sorted over the next decade :D :D.

I've just woken from the deepest sleep ever! Snuggled down under the weighted blanket and boom, out like a light.

Dinner is SW beef tagliatelle, and an orange. Maybe a ice lolly.

Hope you all had lovely days x

Very glad yr GP suggested keto! Check out eating plans at:
- www.diietdoctor.com (there are free ones and great recipes)
- www.eatlikebear.com (which has a 3 day starter plan - find the FB group inspirational as there are lots of older women who have lost 100lbs or more eating keto - many OMAD & a founder who is fab on the need to stop eating at night and use up our stored fat) and
- www.ketofiitnessclub.com - a UK based father and daughter who also have a good £10 starter session and months membership - highly recommended (exercise classes included).

I eat meat/fish/eggs with green veg or salad, a bit of tomato, carrot and onion (which some keto people won't touch). No white stuff - no potatoes, bread or pasta. that's a miindset thing. I just tell myslef that i no longer eat iit.

I do have some konjac noodles which I eat occasionally. Berries rarely. Dark choc. Cream, butter and olive oil (no sunflower or corn oil). i occasionally make a sweet treat - but not often as I can eat too much almond flour. Keto baking is a trap for eating too much. I use erythritol as a sweetener as xylitol gives me the runs and is poisonous for dogs.

Some people count "macros" the protein/fat/carb mix. I don't.

And my top tip is don't eat if you aren't hungry. I have stopped eating breakfast as I am not hungry any more.

Have fun!

@AliGal thanks so much for those links - a couple of new ones I haven't come across before. I also like Wholesome Yum and I Breathe I Eat too (Melissa Sevigny is hilarious, she doesn't have much time for people who post things like "Can i swap red pepper for green" and so on lol).

I've done LC before and my BIG wagon fall off trigger is bread. But there are lots of new options out there which is great, and all the LC bits like coconut oil and ground almonds are so much easier to get than they used to be - you can even get a 7 day LC or clean/dirty keto meal pack, complete with two loaves of LC bread and snacks, from one online company - expensive but a good way to get started.

Ditto on not having B - I'm never hungry in the morning and I don't believe you should force yourself to have three meals a day, some of us just aren't wired that way - although there are some days where i just want to shovel it in from morning til night lol. My menus will have to straddle SW and LC for a few days yet, until it's all used up.

Today - L - gluten free toast with avocado, coffee
D - SW meal

It'll take me a few more days to get sorted, but i have to say i feel really excited about doing LC, in a way that I really wasn't about SW :).

I was thinking it's worth noting that IBS is always worse when stressed, and you've had a lot of stress lately. It might be once everything settles that your tummy will too :)

Spot on - happily, things do seem to have calmed down now tummy wise, especially as i've stopped eating wholemeal bread, and the stress has lifted somewhat too.

Just using up carby things while trying to eat a more or less balanced diet lol!

B - porridge with berries, nuts and almond milk - nice but not very filling
L - chicken coleslaw - the veg pack came with a small bag of tiny croutons, delish - I can recreate that in LC with pork crackling
D - SW meal

Another 4-5 days of this then onto LC. Gives me plenty of time to work out a menu.

Lovely day here again, with a breeze - might sign off from work and get out for a walk.

Sadly no walk so far this week, just been so busy in the new job.

In an odd twist, I'm back to posted weight after a) not watching what i ate at all - apart from less bread - over the last few days and b) losing 4 lbs as a result. Bonkers. A friend is a huge advocate of not following any plan, just watching portion size, and she also cuts carbs a bit but not fanatically, so might follow this idea for a bit, try and avoid processed foods and see how i get on.

But the weird thing is, I've been having porridge for B, and rice cakes later, so it's not really low carbs - just no pasta/rice or wholemeal bread.

B - instant oats, berries, nuts, almond milk, coffee
L - roast beef, green leafy salad, 1/2 pack Asda instant mash, a squirt yog/mint salad dressing
D - SW chicken korma with extra zesty quinoa
S - orange, SF on rye cakes

Have a good one!

There's a lot of evidence that eating less processed foods is a big piece of the puzzle

Yes I'm sure you're right Chilli, if only they weren't so convenient! LOL.

Had a few little IBS moments today, courtesy i guess of the porridge, otherwise ok.

Been a stressful day, so heading for bed soon!

Back