Susie's 2022 campaign

Sorry to hear you were poorly both vaccines. But at least this is one step closer to getting back to normality. It will be nice that the highlight of my week not going out to do the weekly shopping.

What a nuisance Susie, I hope for your sake that he is just having a reaction to the vaccine. But he should have been wearing a mask in your house, all the tradesmen should have been. I'm wearing a mask all day long at work. Hopefully all is well and you get sorted soon. Though I have visions of you just packing up and moving house again if it doesn't get sorted soon🤣

I have visions of you just packing up and moving house again if it doesn't get sorted soon🤣

Oh crikey @tipperary the way I feel right now, that is so on the agenda. This has been the worst house ever for bad workmanship...I really thought I had a good sense of when people were genuine - but obviously not. I've got one mobile for one of the workmen and he has just texted to say the guy is still unwell and the boss is on holiday.

Noticed this morning that they have managed to chip a bit away from the worktop too, just to start the day off with a bang.

On the plus side, I haven't gained, so will try and do an SP push for the next few days before new WI day of Thursday pm.

Was feeling really fed up so went for a drive and a think, and did realise that the boss might not know his workman is off sick (or is he skivving? Who knows?). Hopefully we will be back on track this week. I've waited this long, another week won't matter.

And food is on plan today, for a change!

B - coffee
L - lentil dhal, rice and green veg (1/2 syn), and then grapes
D - more dhal I think, maybe with some chicken
S - apple, orange, rye cakes with SF, or salt and pepper crackers for syns

It is possible the boss doesn't know, the workman will have been told to isolate until he has test results and how fast that happens can vary, you mentioned you were in an area having a surge so that suggests they will be busy. We're getting results here in less that 24 hours but our numbers are low at the moment.

I know you don't like to be confrontational, but I think you need to make sure they know that you expect them to replace the chipped worktop and if they don't follow up and complete your work in a reasonable timeframe I think you need to persue to have your money back. Easy to say I know.

I had a nap, and a good long think, and I've decided that enough is enough, I'm sick of hearing nothing back, despite lots of texting etc. These workmen are all glued to their phones and even if the main workman is ill, he surely has 2 minutes to text me and tell me that he's not coming.

So I've DM'ed the boss guy to say I'm terminating the work. There's no contract between us and no money outstanding (what I've paid so far will cover the work done) - and really, as you all have already said, it's not up to me to keep chasing and chasing. I have more worktop in the shed, and the name of a company recommended by my electrician (who is very good) - so hopefully it's third time lucky - and stress free!

What is it with workmen. One minute they want the job the next they mess customers around.
Good for you messaging the boss. Lets see if he replies back.

My radiator was delivered by the plumber today. He hasn't asked for the old one and I thought he would need it to get a refund for it.
My plumber is coming Wednesday morning to fit it as she is in the area. Going to cost me £35 but at least I know she will fit it properly.

£35 is quite reasonable to fit a radiator, you're quite right about not having to drain the whole system (unless there is pipework adjustment needed, or a faulty valve)

Well the last 20 minutes have been interesting, to say the least - texts back and forth between the boss and me, where he has basically accused me of lying about what was agreed, ignored the pics of the damaged worktop, claimed I said things I didn't and then in the same breath asked if I want them to come back and finish it off. Err...NO! Wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them now.

Afternoon all - a brand new week and a new start to the kitchen. Got a 5* Checkatrade kitchen fitter coming to look and price on Friday - the reviews are glowing - no money asked for until job completed, a proper written quote and an agreed list of jobs. My kinda guy!

And I need to keep it in perspective and not get so stressed. It is only a first world problem, I do have a working kitchen of sorts, I don't have covid, I;m slowly losing weight and I've now hit the "10 months' without ciggies or alcohol" mark, so this week I'm just going to try and relax about it all - even though my dreams were all about the horrible boss man coming round and pushing poo through my letterbox in a revenge campaign! I'm sure he's got better things to do with his time - but who knows how many jobs they have got wrong, yet people (like me) are too scared to leave a negative review because they know where you live.

SWI looking good after yesterday's 100% on plan day. Just had a cup of tea so far and am starving now, so will have chicken salad, and then I'm putting painkiller gel on my knees and going for a short walk.

B - tea
L - chicken salad with A crumbed feta
T - l/o lentil dhal, rice and veg
S - apple, banana and SF (2) on rye cakes (B)
W - diet tonic water with a little juice (2)

Have a good one!

I'd leave the negative review personally, really what are they likely to do? They deserve the review. Any threatening behaviour call the police straight away.

Fingers crossed for Friday, have a lovely walk.

Had a lovely drive, although every time I stopped to get out for a short stroll, the rain started! Just when i was feeling a bit more mytself, i got a message from the London tenant saying the flat has got lots more mold (it's been an ongoing problem which I thought had been fixed) and they've had to move their bed into the living room because he gets migraines and she gets chronic bronchitis. And i can't get hold of the London guy I use to fix things in the flat.

i know it will be sorted eventually but it's just one thing after another at the moment. A friend of mine, in her 70s, has sold all her properties and decided to just rent, so she can move wherever and whenever she feels like it, she's a bit of a nomad like me. That's very appealing right now, ditto a motorhome!

But we have progress on the garden - a guy who does the lawns of my neighbour says he sees Mare's Tail all the time here and he just mows it down, so he's coming tomorrow to start getting the garden in shipshape, spray the brambles which are coming up in the corner and talk about a new fence. He won't be expensive (I don't think).

Last edited:
I have a loose plan for when my kids have grown up that's similar LadyF, selling house and either renting or buying the smallest house possible, then spending the rest of the cash, I plan to travel and generally enjoy myself. I have a good pension plan so I know I won't need to worry about day to day normal living.

I see it so often in the care homes, people who have assets over time lose them to pay for care, and those with nothing are looked after just the same. I'm not suggesting we should treat them differently, everyone deserves to be looked after if they need it but I think it's utterly wrong to take away the assets from people who have worked hard for them. So I plan to spend all mine, or give it away long before inheritance tax would be an issue.

Glad to hear the gardening is at least looking up!

I'm the same hun, got no OH or kids and my brother would inherit - and he said "Spend it all, be happy!". I really fancy travelling half the year - a cruise, or renting a French village cottage, back to Abruzzo for a while - have some adventures and different experiences.

I was reading a Judy Leigh book, "A grand old time", about a woman who broke out of the care home she was in and went to France, took a lover and bought a vineyard lol. That'll do me! :D :D.

And another small bit of progress, the neighbour's son has put my kitchen clock up woohoo!

Last edited:
I've had the same here with this house. An old lady lived in it since it was built 1970 and nothing was really done to it. The old boiler was oil then it got changed over to gas. I guess she thought it still worked so why update it. The kitchen was tiny with just a sink,oven and a couple of cupboards.
Been in it for 7 years and still haven't finished doing it up. Once the radiator is in that should be the last thing so I can paint every room knowing dust won't come from any more building work.

Great you have found a gardener and one that does a neighbours so he shouldn't let you down.

I recommend HG Mould Spray, only mould spray that works, as a short term solution. Leylands, Tesco and most builders merchants stock it.

All go here this morning - turns out the mould issue in the London flat is part of a much bigger drainage problem, so my Mr Fixer is spending a whole day there sorting it out, and that should hopefully be that.

The neighbour's son has cleared all the boxes and rubbish from the front yard and taken to the tip, and washed and cleaned it all down - so that's another job off the (very long) list. He's also going to tackle a whole host of other small jobs for me.

Also heard this morning that I'm being put forward for a short term comms role with a nice salary attached, cross fingers. Will need it, with all the outgoings lately! :)

Think I may need to watch my lentil intake in future though, goodness me, what a reaction...

B - coffee
L - will see how the tum is, maybe l/o chicken salad p not sure about the chicken though, i bought a pack of those precooked slices and i feel a bit dubious about them. Got some frozen tikka strips so will defrost some and have with noodles and veg
D - SW meatballs and bolognese sauce and spinach
S - banana, apple, orange, juice and tonic water

oh dear, hope you're ok re the lentils. Great news on the other stuff :)

also I like the sound of that book you mentioned!

The tum is still rumbling gently away, starting to wonder if it was the chicken...have decided not to buy precooked chicken any more, I'll roast a chicken once a week in the Clever Chef instead.

No sign of the gardener by 1pm, assume he decided it's too wet. No biggy, he visits the area regularly. So I had a zzz instead, had a lot on my plate to worry about lately, so it was nice to get the brain to switch off! Also addicted to merge games and have three different apps running on the iPad lol.

As i was typing this the sun came out, so I put my shoes on to go for a drive...and it's started raining again...:classic_roll_eyes:

Back