Susie's 2022 campaign

:rotflmao: Hahaha! Loving it....Social Services... Hahaha!:rotflmao:

Righto, got my head round today's food -

B - eggs fried in coconut oil on wholemeal bread (360)
L - cannelloni beans and mixed green salad, olive oil dressing (388)
D - turkey mince, courgettes, carrots, beans in passata and parmesan (627)
S - apricots, peach (114)
Total - 1,489

Glad to hear the Epsom Oil is working - I wonder if it my help tight muscles too? Or is it just for cramps primarily? You said you mix the salts with water, did you mean oil?

I meant to congratulate you on the massive 9lb loss too - well done! It seems that the Med Diet is the one for you!

Have a lovely weekend.

x

Yes Charley - I mix 1 tblsp of salts with 1 tblsp of water - so it's not really oily, but people online call it that :).

And thank you - but will have a gain next week I'm sure, thanks to succumbing to a packet of ginger nuts :eek:. A friend brought them with her recently and I found them yesterday, then Tibbs mentioned ginger nuts - and well, off I went. Been on plan for all my meals but just couldn't stop eating the bl&@dy biscuits. Oh well, when they are gone they are gone! Can't weigh myself now anyway because the scales are completely kaput - so will just keep logging and hope for the best :).

Yes Charley - I mix 1 tblsp of salts with 1 tblsp of water - so it's not really oily, but people online call it that :).

And thank you - but will have a gain next week I'm sure, thanks to succumbing to a packet of ginger nuts :eek:. A friend brought them with her recently and I found them yesterday, then Tibbs mentioned ginger nuts - and well, off I went. Been on plan for all my meals but just couldn't stop eating the bl&@dy biscuits. Oh well, when they are gone they are gone! Can't weigh myself now anyway because the scales are completely kaput - so will just keep logging and hope for the best :).

Ooops..sorry Suzie X

LOL no worries Tibbs! :)

Been buzzing about the last couple of days - and had friends over for lunch yesterday, where I made a rather yummy veg coconut green curry and cauli rice, then watermelon for dessert. My guests stayed until late, and I rather spoiled the healthy eating effect by having a bottle of white wine, 2 glasses of red and 1 glass of Limoncello ooops (over the course of about 7 hours) - but it's all logged and I came in bang on my cal level.

Had a sleep in but strangely have no hangover, and no desire to eat really bad food all day, which is amazing! A few carbs in there, but they needed using up...

B - Italian stuffed pizza slice (450)
L - leftover curry with extra spinach (439)
D - leftover turkey and beans, spinach and carrots (535)
S - white bap with butter and marmalade (421)
Total 1,747

Morning all - another lovely day here, but housework is on the agenda (yuck), as a friend is coming to stay on Thursday (yaye).

Succumbed to battered fish last night and went well over my cals, so a lighter day today!

B - eggs fried in coconut oil on walnut wholemeal with light mayo (485)
L - pork sausages with salad (633)
D - leftover turkey with spinach, carrots, courgettes (267)

Total - 1,385

No more WIs for the time being, the scales are kaput, so will just have to guess :). Have a good one, all x

Hi Susie

Can you please give me your recipe for Coconut Veg Curry? It sounds so lovely. What is your rough cals you are giving yourself a day? Or are you just Med dieting with cals?

Also, do you think that Epsom Salt would work on tight calf muscles? If I walk a lot the day before I wake up the next day with the tightest calf muscles...

Hey Charley

The curry recipe is a bit Jamie Oliver biff bash bosh style, but basically I throw in any veg - carrots, celery, peas, beans, spinach -into the slow cooker. Then I mix one sachet of Grace coconut milk powder with 150ml water and pour over, then add about 1 tsp each of coriander, cumin and curry powder, and cook on high for about 3 hours or so. Add cauli rice and yum! :). I've found the easiest and less messy way to do the rice is cut the cauli into florets, then add a few to a blender, fill with water, and blend for a few seconds only. Throw that into a colander to drain and do the rest. Then bung in the microwave for about 8-10 minutes.

My cals are set at 1,800 - but I'm generally coming in at about 1,400-1,500. I don't think it's really a Med diet as such, because I'm including dairy. etc - but keeping my meat intake low and trying to use fresh veg in every meal wherever possible.

Re the Epsom salts, I'm sure they would help your calf muscles - and try magnesium tablets too.

Last edited:
Morning all

Feeling a bit despondent about my weight loss journey today. As per usual it's 2 steps forward, 1 step (or sometimes 3!) back with me, and I'm struggling to keep focused...Just got the blues generally, not sure why - but it will pass.

Will focus on just eating veg today. I'm not going to log it, but menu will be something like -

B - fruit smoothie with yogurt
L - courgetti with passata and veg
D - salad with chorizo
S - more fruit probably

Have a good one x

Sorry to hear you are a bit down, I know exactly what you mean about the forward and back aspect of trying to slim down. What can you do to cheer up a bit, I know a nice walk helps me particularly if it is somewhere I haven't been.

Thanks Tipp - might do that later, but the plan for today is a bit of housework before my friend comes on Thursday. I've got the expat coffee morning tomorrow and then a mate is coming back to really help me blitz the place - after a salady type lunch.

Food is likely to be a bit of a write off while my London friend is here - Mystic Meg here foresees lots of pizza and gelato in my future :rolleyes:...

I do actually know what's eating at me - a couple of things, really, and they are biggies.

TBH I've known for a while that I'd like to move back, but I can't afford to live where I want in the UK without going back to work (which I really don't want to do), so will just have to make the best of the situation here. I know I talk it up sometimes but living in Abruzzo is not all it's cracked up to be sadly - awful bureaucracy, language problems, a hugely male oriented society - stuff I didn't realise would impact on me. This is something I will have to keep wrestling with...unless I win the lottery :D. Sometimes I just want to hear English around me - so I guess the short term solution is to come back to Blighty for a holiday regularly. Unless someone can find me a really cheap house somewhere nice? :D

I'm also really fed up with my knees hurting all the time - but the solution here isn't easy either. Lose weight and exercise! Trying to lose weight but not winning the battle at the moment; and exercise, even simple strolling, is so painful I just don't even try.

Sorry to see you a bit down. In case it helps, I have done a lot of research of moving somewhere I could be mortgage free. My budget is £160K ish, and my top finds have been:
  • Anstruther and the villages on the coast (eg St Monans) in Scotland. The area is known as the East Neuk of Fife, and they have loads of really affordable property in really pretty locations. Plus as its the coast its slightly warmer than other places in Scotland, has no snow, and less rain than the West coast.
  • shropshire - lots of nice proprieties. Telford tends to be more affordable, and rural (without land) also tends to be cheaper.
  • Valleys in Wales. The location doesn't have the best reputation, but there are some beautiful villages. Plus Cardiff is a great city to be near
  • I ruled it out for me, but Northumbria has some pretty affordable places
Other things I have looked at is working from home. I understand not wanting to work at all, but given your PR/Marketing background i think it would be possible to pick up ad hoc projects. Although this might not be stable enough to get a mortgage, it might give extra income. https://www.peopleperhour.com/ is one website I came across (I am sure there are others) that will let you bid for projects.

if you end up in a pretty place, you can also rent a room on air bnb. i did it a couple of years ago and made about £2k over a summer, just with my spare (non-fancy) bedroom in London. It's tax free, and was mostly easy.

Last edited:
Buffy that's incredibly helpful, thanks for the job website particularly!

You got me thinking - there I was in the doldrums, feeling sorry for myself for being stuck in a situation I wasn't happy with - so I've pulled my finger out and hit Google bigtime to scout out areas up north (can't afford any of the areas you suggested, sadly). After much research, zooming around on Google Street View and checking estate agent websites, I think I may have found somewhere that is doable - Easington, in County Durham. Anyone know it?

I can get a lovely house for under £40K (check this one out - https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...ow&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator), it's really close to the sea, and from what I saw on Street View, the houses might be all red brick but they seem really well kept. It's a mixture of wealthy and not so wealthy, some houses there go for squillions.

If I buy something like this one, for around that price, then I'd have plenty to live on until the Italian house sells (they usually take at least two years).

Am I crazy? I actually feel so hopeful for the first time in a while :). I think I might go over later in the year and see what I think. Even renting in the area is uber cheap - less than £300pcm!

Sorry to hear you haven't been too happy in Italy. But great to know a change may be doable.

Yes there's always some sort of answer (well, mostly).

C Durham doesn't get a great rap online TBH - bit of a drug problem, unemployment after the collieries closed down, and so on - so it would be just like London haha. But seriously no area that I can afford is going to be without its problems...

After I posted earlier I did a pros and cons list about a) Italy and b) the UK - and realised the UK was way ahead on pros. But nothing will happen straight away, I want to finish the house here first, then come over for a short holiday and tour round a bit, talk to some agents, and so on, and then make a decision.

But at least I feel more equipped to be able to make another move, now I know it's feasible.

Oh Susie! Sorry to hear the Italian life isn't working out! But, you have a plan! I am a big believer in doing what feels right, and if moving back to the UK feels right for you, then it's a no brainer. If I had the space I would offer you room in my little house, it's a shame there is only just about room for me. You're an intelligent, resourceful lady, so I have no doubts you will work something out. xx

Buffy that's incredibly helpful, thanks for the job website particularly!

You got me thinking - there I was in the doldrums, feeling sorry for myself for being stuck in a situation I wasn't happy with - so I've pulled my finger out and hit Google bigtime to scout out areas up north (can't afford any of the areas you suggested, sadly). After much research, zooming around on Google Street View and checking estate agent websites, I think I may have found somewhere that is doable - Easington, in County Durham. Anyone know it?

I can get a lovely house for under £40K (check this one out - https://www.primelocation.com/for-s...ow&utm_medium=network&utm_campaign=aggregator), it's really close to the sea, and from what I saw on Street View, the houses might be all red brick but they seem really well kept. It's a mixture of wealthy and not so wealthy, some houses there go for squillions.

If I buy something like this one, for around that price, then I'd have plenty to live on until the Italian house sells (they usually take at least two years).

Am I crazy? I actually feel so hopeful for the first time in a while :). I think I might go over later in the year and see what I think. Even renting in the area is uber cheap - less than £300pcm!

That house looks nice xx

Oh Susie, I am so sorry you feel so unsettled over there - its so surprising, there's me thinking you have the ideal life, but its not always the case is it? I remember living in Turkey for a while and it was really tough at times, the language barrier, although it does make you knuckle down and learn, but the biggest thing was the culture difference for me. I also see the politics and the length of time things take and the red tape etc. My in-laws live in Barbados (oh, its hell i know!) and I was desperate to move there too with Mick and make a life out there....but what we see is a 2 week holiday, with loads of cash in our pockets and having dinner out and drinking and partying..... the reality is somewhat very different. The government is dodgy, health care is only good and available if you are filthy rich, you get ripped off terribly if you aren't a native, even if you are (like Mick's parents) but you lived most of your life in England and have a softer tongue of the accent, they spot you a mile off. Its not all perfect and the picture you can sometimes paint in your mind, is not the true version.

I think you are making good steps to starting again. I have been doing a little looksee myself for you, there are some beautiful areas up North, Cumbria is very affordable too, I looked on Rightmove and there is a place called Workington and a 2 bed bungalow for £50k, its got a nice little town and it is right by the coast. Northumberland is beautiful too, we went there for a wedding last year and the people up there are so friendly.

Of course you get pockets of drug problems,crime but that's true in most places. You are doing the right thing by coming over and spending some time in doing a bit of reconnaissance before you buy...what about Ireland?! You and Tipps could be neighbours - think of all the wine you too could drink.....!

Where do you hail from originally Susie?

Back