Susie's 2022 campaign

Hi Susie! Just catching up as I haven't been on here for a while, since my latest knee op. I hope the low carb works out for you - I could never do that, lol, carbs make up a large part of my diet! :) xx

Morning all

Just rushing out for coffee with mates but happy to report a week 2 loss of 4lbs, so that's my 1st stone yaye!

Have a good one x

Brilliantly well done, a stone is fantastic :) your diet is working well for you, are you finding it easier than anything else you've tried? Happy for you X

Thx guys - I did low carb a few years ago (my first venture onto Minis, back in the day!) but think I'm much more into the swing of things this time - keep the fats high and the protein and carbs low - and lots and lots of water. Plus two meals a day - I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, so eat at midday. Makes it easy to work round for meals out too.

Had a major triumph at lunch at my favourite restaurant today. For the 1st course it's normally pasta, so I had a big bowl of salad instead; then for the 2nd course, a small steak and more salad and steamed leafy greens. Really lush - AND I managed to say no to the yummy Italian bread and the chips - even though Luca the lovely waiter put them right by my elbow!!!!

I think the veg is the key to it for me - not OD'ing on protein and all the substitute bread stuff made with flaxmeal - eg a fav with low carbers is the 'muffin in a minute'. I still do have one but only 1-2 times a week and not every day. And I can have cheese WOOHOO :D. They have this delicious cheese here - half soft gorgonzola, half dolce latte (like a sort of cream cheese or soft Brie) - and I had loads the other night without any damage :D.

Am noticing a few little differences - my bra feels slightly more roomier; and everyone says my skin looks great, really hydrated - but I'm most pleased because I'd put on a stone since arriving in February, and that's now gone.

Onwards and downwards!!

Last edited:
Thx guys - I did low carb a few years ago (my first venture onto Minis, back in the day!) but think I'm much more into the swing of things this time - keep the fats high and the protein and carbs low - and lots and lots of water. Plus two meals a day - I'm never hungry in the morning anyway, so eat at midday. Makes it easy to work round for meals out too.

Had a major triumph at lunch at my favourite restaurant today. For the 1st course it's normally pasta, so I had a big bowl of salad instead; then for the 2nd course, a small steak and more salad and steamed leafy greens. Really lush - AND I managed to say no to the yummy Italian bread and the chips - even though Luca the lovely waiter put them right by my elbow!!!!

I think the veg is the key to it for me - not OD'ing on protein and all the substitute bread stuff made with flaxmeal - eg a fav with low carbers is the 'muffin in a minute'. I still do have one but only 1-2 times a week and not every day. And I can have cheese WOOHOO :D. They have this delicious cheese here - half soft gorgonzola, half dolce latte (like a sort of cream cheese or soft Brie) - and I had loads the other night without any damage :D.

Am noticing a few little differences - my bra feels slightly more roomier; and everyone says my skin looks great, really hydrated - but I'm most pleased because I'd put on a stone since arriving in February, and that's now gone.

Onwards and downwards!!

Sounds really good, and wow well done for not being tempted by the bread, that's my biggest downfall. I'd rather demolish an uncut loaf than have a meal! And oooo for a piece of that cheese!
I live for the day my bra is not digging in!!

Hi Susie
Just popped in after ages away & delighted to hear you are back low carbing and doing so well. Great stuff!

I've just finished my weekend omelette so stuffed and set for the day! still low carb, healthy and keeping the weight off this end. It's 5.5 years since I started - it really is sustainable and works for a foodie:)

On holiday now for a week so will come visit more often
Kt xxx

Katie, how lovely to see you hun!

Yep really happy with LC, even in the land of pasta! :D. Have a wonderful holiday and come and catch up when you're back xxx

Lovely sunshine here today again so it's laundry day, plus am going to try a LC bread recipe I came across last night. Also got people coming for dinner on Tuesday so need to think about a LC menu for them :).

Later - slight change of LC bread plan, I remembered Katie had a nice one on her blog, so am just waiting for it to cool. I'm not actually hungry, just had a big turkey and avocado salad for B/L - but one does need to sample the bread, doesn't one? :D

Last edited:
Evening all

Another nice day, but getting a bit chilly in the evenings now. Had a lovely dinner - sossies (the Italian ones are very low carb, no rusks) and cabbage and pancetta gratin, very yummy!

Evening all

Another nice day, but getting a bit chilly in the evenings now. Had a lovely dinner - sossies (the Italian ones are very low carb, no rusks) and cabbage and pancetta gratin, very yummy!
Hi, getting really chilly here too... In fact we had to go over to Durham on Friday and it started lashing it down..with hailstones!!
I buy Italian sausages in Costco which everyone says are very nice (I'm veggie) but I bet they're not a patch on the ones you get.
I'm saw a thing on Pinterest for roasted cabbage and tried it... I can honestly say it was yak! Never again!
Did you know people in Italy before you moved out there? X

Hi Tibbs - yes I knew a few people, not well - but expats can be strange people, some refuse to learn Italian and I just can't see the point of coming here if you're going to do that!

I have felt very unsettled over the last couple of months (post honeymoon period, I guess), which has coincided with being suddenly but consistently being excluded from the social group I thought I was an inherent part of. I'd see pics of their get togethers on FB and I just couldn't understand what I'd done to upset them, so I've been very hurt over it. Ironically, when I complained to one of them about being left out, she then bleated to the rest about how I'd hurt her....HUH??? Anyway, a very lovely and sensible UK friend said to just look at it from the view that I needed them in my life for a bit to help me settle in here, they've served their purpose and now it's time to move on - so that's what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately it doesn't help that one of them was doing the work on my house and has left lots of things half done - but there are always other builders!

On the plus side I have made some fab new Italian friends, with common interests, so it's all looking good for the long term :). I'd much rather have quality than quantity when it comes to friends.

Roasted cabbage sounds foul, I agree on the yak front. LCHF eating means a few more options, so I steamed the cabbage, fried pancetta in coconut oil, added the cabbage, then a little cream et voila - scrumminess on a plate :D.

Hi Tibbs - yes I knew a few people, not well - but expats can be strange people, some refuse to learn Italian and I just can't see the point of coming here if you're going to do that!

I have felt very unsettled over the last couple of months (post honeymoon period, I guess), which has coincided with being suddenly but consistently being excluded from the social group I thought I was an inherent part of. I'd see pics of their get togethers on FB and I just couldn't understand what I'd done to upset them, so I've been very hurt over it. Ironically, when I complained to one of them about being left out, she then bleated to the rest about how I'd hurt her....HUH??? Anyway, a very lovely and sensible UK friend said to just look at it from the view that I needed them in my life for a bit to help me settle in here, they've served their purpose and now it's time to move on - so that's what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately it doesn't help that one of them was doing the work on my house and has left lots of things half done - but there are always other builders!

On the plus side I have made some fab new Italian friends, with common interests, so it's all looking good for the long term :). I'd much rather have quality than quantity when it comes to friends.

Roasted cabbage sounds foul, I agree on the yak front. LCHF eating means a few more options, so I steamed the cabbage, fried pancetta in coconut oil, added the cabbage, then a little cream et voila - scrumminess on a plate :D.

Goodness, some people can be so strange! There's simply no need for excluding people, it's a very hurtful thing to do to someone. My friend in Cyprus says the same about the expats over there, why bother moving abroad and then try to recreate the UK and rudely expect everyone to speak English! She says a lot of them don't stray far off the complex. Your UK friend sounds very sensible and that's a good thing to remember. I'll have to tell my daughter that one.
Good that you're making Italian friends, how lovely that you've got new people accepting you and helping you settle even more into your new way of life. How envious I am, there are lots of things I wish I'd done and haven't. I am happy for you that you're living your dream.:)

Thank you love, it was a dream of mine for years, but was only able to happen because of a small inheritance.

It has taken lots more adjustment than I realised - but I am starting to feel much happier here now, and it will only get better. I'm living on a shoestring but cost of living is cheaper here than the UK - and anyway, we all need a challenge in life to keep things lively! I open my mouth to speak Italian and sometimes French comes out, to everyone's surprise, LOL, and I keep making all sorts of language blunders - I'm allergic to fish and shellfish and in my favourite restaurant one day I asked for no fish on my pasta (pre-LCHF) - which is pesce (pron - peshay) but asked for niente pesche (pron peskay) - no peaches! The waiters are all used to me now and laughed their heads off :D.

All good on the eating plan, and everyone is so supportive and encouraging. One friend loves baking cakes, every time I go round there's loads of cupcakes and serious gateaux on offer - so she's going to make me low carb cakes, bless her!

Got other friends coming round tomorrow night for our weekly Mah Jong evening, so have decided to make cauliflower tots for the entree and then pesto chicken casserole with cauli mash and more of the cabbage gratin, then homemade chocolate :). Lucky WI isn't until Friday! :D

Sx

Have run out of time to make the tots and chocs but everything else is sorted! The pesto chicken smells wonderful - doing it in the slow cooker :).

Evening all

Felt the 2nd earthquake tonight - was out for dinner with friends, and the building shook, chandeliers were swinging and we all grabbed our coats and bags, ready to run for it....but it calmed down after about a minute or two (although it felt much longer!). So happy there are no fatalities reported in Visso, at the epicentre. also happy I'm home safe! :) .

Lovely food though, I had grilled lamb and salad - with leftovers from last night's delicious dinner for lunch today. So, a good day carb-wise.

Evening all

Felt the 2nd earthquake tonight - was out for dinner with friends, and the building shook, chandeliers were swinging and we all grabbed our coats and bags, ready to run for it....but it calmed down after about a minute or two (although it felt much longer!). So happy there are no fatalities reported in Visso, at the epicentre. also happy I'm home safe! :) .

Lovely food though, I had grilled lamb and salad - with leftovers from last night's delicious dinner for lunch today. So, a good day carb-wise.

Goodness me, I didn't even realise there'd been an earthquake! So pleased you're ok! Very scarey for you!

All well in Italy? I was looking on line at the news and ooo parts look bad. Hope you're ok X

Morning all

Yes, thanks Tibbs, all OK - really shaken by it TBH - but really, if it happens, there's not a lot I can do except grab the cat and get under the kitchen table :).

Happy to report another 2lb loss today. If i can get into the 200s by Christmas I'll be very happy!

Hi, lovely to hear you're ok. I've been checking the news to see what's happening in Italy. Well done on your 2lbs loss :) I've lost nothing this week as went totally awol from healthy eating! Back on track now. I think a lot of people are getting into the zone with Christmas getting close. Fingers crossed for our losses, sure you'll definitely do it as you seem so positive :) Halloween decorations went up here last night, we're having a Boo Bash for the grandkids on Sunday night :)
Have a good day X

Back