Susie's 2022 campaign

That would be great, lots come from the UK buying rural cottages seeking "the good life". City and town prices are high but rural life starts at about €60k. But you would have to have your own transport to make that work. You would always be within 5k of a pub and shop but up to 25k of a supermarket.

Oh Charley you are a treasure - thanks so much for looking at areas for me :). And yep you got it completely - we always tend to paint a much rosier picture than the way things really are, don't we?

I'm a really upbeat sociable person and the loneliness aspect took me by surprise. I really thought local people would be more friendly and welcoming, despite the lack of language - but they aren't. They aren't horrible, don't get me wrong - but when i was snowed in over January, without power and water, not one of the neighbours came to see if I was OK. It's all about the family - their own - and people outside that don't count.

The reality is it will take me years to learn competent Italian, and I'm just not prepared to wait that long with things as they are at the moment. I just keep imagining having a health issue, or the car breaking down, etc, and not being able to communicate with people.

However - I am really proud of myself for giving it a go, and having an adventure! :). I'm originally from NZ, and am used to moving - I've lived in Melbourne, Canberra, Sydney and London - so moving to a new part of the UK will be exciting! I'll take a look at Workington and Northumberland too.

Not thought about Ireland - but will do some research :) - and thanks Tipp, will keep inundating you with questions about areas!

Last edited:
East coast expensive, west coast housing cheap but cost of living high. North/north west (still in republic) cheap but a bit dismal. Leaving midlands and south.

Been having a lovely time doing web research on loads of different areas, and I think Cumbria looks fab!

Might need to spend a little more on a house but could possibly get a sea view, which would be amazing.

Thanks for your suggestions, ladies :) xx

daft.ie will give you details of Irish house costs.
Even if you don't leave Italy soon just planning it seems to have cheered you up a bit.
Though how will you manage your wonderful Mediterranean diet in the UK.

Thanks Tipp I'll take a look at that website. I do feel more cheerful knowing there's an option for me to get home after all - and also that I have time to think it over. In some ways the thought of moving all the furniture back seems rather daunting, but I decided I'd leave some of it here and start whittling my possessions down now, so there's not so much to take. There's an English guy who moves people back and forth all the time - he moved my stuff out - so I know that's covered.

I think the Med diet is transplantable to the UK too :) - but TBH the diet has gone out the window the last couple of days! All I've wanted to do is eat eggs on toast...and I did think last night that moving back would mean I could go back to an SW class.

Housework today - my friend arrives tomorrow - so it's time to get the floors cleaned. Ugh I hate housework!

Have a good one peeps x

looking at houses online is one of my favourite activities. I have lists on rightmove depending on how my life turns out - including options if i win the lottery

If you are are feeling brave, auction properties are a cost effective opportunity. Not all of them are falling down - some just need modernisation. This is a more time consuming option, but does mean you get more for your money.

Eggs on toast is not a bad food to be craving!

LOL you and me both Buffy, I'm always looking at rightmove :D.

Auctions do scare me TBH but I guess it's all about setting an upper limit and not going past it - or find someone to do the bidding for me :).

Well the water has just gone off again - without warning! Luckily I have bottled water, but was planning to do some laundry - so that'll have to wait.

Its funny you mentioned italian Ive been learning it for a few years. Learning a language isnt easy! Do you live in Italy at the moment? How long have you lived out there? I went on a language course recently in Bologna it was a good experience but was ready to go back to England as I did it for 3 weeks. I also have a friend out there so it was great to meet up with her. I do enjoy the Mediterranean diet but was also getting tired of it! everyday my host family served me toast with Jam after a while I had stomach ache but felt obliged, but I actually lost weight while I was away probably with all the walking.

Maybe we should organise some house swaps as a trial with each other.

I hope the water comes back soon.

Hi Georgie - I've lived in Abruzzo for 18 months now. Lots of things to like, but I miss the UK too much - and I can always come back here for holidays :).

@Tipp - could be a goer, depends on whether the house sells quickly or not. :).

Water came back on this morning so got lots of bottled now. Off to the airport to pick up my mate in a few hours - then it's days of eating pizza and drinking wine :rolleyes:.

Oh right! Well hope all goes well when you decide to move.

Hey hun, I LOVE it up North-I am from Norfolk. Our house is a 3 bed terrace and worth £210,000 ( had it valued in April when hubby and i split up) I think a house by the sea would be great LOVE hills.

Hope you have had a good day and water comes back on soon. Enjoy pizza and wine xxx

Enjoy the pizza and wine...I will be thinking you in the sun while I am siting at a desk for 8 hours in front of a computer.

Just been catching up on your diary (I've not logged on for a month lots to catch up on!) I was relieved to read your cat turned out to be ok! I completely understand the boredom of sticking with the same diet - I'm still at Slimming World because I find the meetings motivational but I haven't told them I'm mostly just calorie counting now :rolleyes: I can't remember the last time I looked up a Syn value!

Have you thought about Cornwall/Devon way if you're considering a move back to the UK? Beautiful part of the country and not bad house price IMO :)

Hi ladies

Just a flying visit while my friend has taken herself off for a walk. It has been so wonderful having her here, and talking through everything! I won't bore you with all the ins and outs but essentially I've decided to give it another year and finish the house, then see how I feel.

I'll probably have to go somewhere less hot next summer though, we got in the car today after lunch and it was 43 degrees!! :eek::eek::eek:. Too hot for this little petal :D.

Love to all xx

Im so glad you had someone to talk it over with. Is there much left to do on the house?

Hello Suzie, been awol for a while and been catching up on your diary. My daughter lived in Sydney for a year, moved to London and then rural Glos. She struggled after being city based and away from her network of friends and the social whirl. She was ok for the 1st year but then got really unhappy. She got around it by going to visit friends in London as often as possible..so good idea about popping back to the UK to get a city fix. I think it's hard moving to a tight knit community, even more so when there's another language involved.
As I live in a suburb of Newcastle I'm not far from Northumberland..city 20 mins & Northumberland 30mins by car, so when you're ready I can help you in your search.

Your coconut curry sounds yum and I'm going to make it tomorrow..what is the weight of the coconut milk powder sachets? I've got a giant size bag of it so will need to weigh it out.
Hugs, Tibbs X

Hello all! Took my friend back to the airport yesterday, after a lovely week of touring round and eating lots - but the eating continues, got a dinner tonight and 20 people coming to my birthday lunch on Monday. Then I'll knuckle back down to life without pizza :rolleyes:. Not much alcohol drunk - it's so bleeding hot! We've all got brain melt here after high 30s-low 40s for the last three weeks. It's supposed to rain today but then it's back into the 30s next week. TG for aircon!!

Im so glad you had someone to talk it over with. Is there much left to do on the house?

There's a crumbling (seriously) bathroom added on to the back of the house which needs pulling down and rebuilding - and the landscaping - a new patio, pulling some old sheds down and concreting/paving. But the inside is pretty much finished, just bits and pieces to finish off.

Hello Suzie, been awol for a while and been catching up on your diary. My daughter lived in Sydney for a year, moved to London and then rural Glos. She struggled after being city based and away from her network of friends and the social whirl. She was ok for the 1st year but then got really unhappy. She got around it by going to visit friends in London as often as possible..so good idea about popping back to the UK to get a city fix. I think it's hard moving to a tight knit community, even more so when there's another language involved. As I live in a suburb of Newcastle I'm not far from Northumberland..city 20 mins & Northumberland 30mins by car, so when you're ready I can help you in your search.

Your coconut curry sounds yum and I'm going to make it tomorrow..what is the weight of the coconut milk powder sachets? I've got a giant size bag of it so will need to weigh it out.
Hugs, Tibbs X

Aww thanks Tibbs, that's really reassuring to know about your daughter. I've done loads of moves before and always been fine - but (having chatted it through thoroughly with my mate) we drilled my unhappiness down to the lack of language thing and being on my own without someone to share the problems with. My mate thinks I need a boyfriend :). TBH I'm not averse to the idea but have a real lack of self confidence about the way I look and don't feel attractive - but as my mate said, if they don't like the way I look now, then would I want to be with them anyway? I have to say, after years of being on my own, it would be wonderful to have some sort of companionship. I'm just not sure how to go about it - they don't do dating sites here...

The Grace coconut milk sachets are 50g each.

Back