SW 8 week run challenge x x

Shelly Star x x

Hello,

I am really wanting to get involved in running & read in last mths issue of sw that one of the girls started running so i did a bit of googling & found this plan. It seems not that bad to do so thought i'd post it in case anyone else fancied trying it with me.

I have never done running well since i left high school when i used run home on a Fri night tipsy b4 i got grounded haha so anyway new year new start. Plus i'd love apply for the Liverpool 1/2 marathon :)

I dnt even know when i can start thou i'm tempted give it a go tomoz but ive been off all week with a ear infection :-( been deaf all week in my left ear. I do hope it pops soon its bugging me thou it makes phone calls fun! haha

Let me know if u want in anyway be nice get a running buddy! I need buy a ipod holder and stop watch haha may start Monday! Be good see if i lose a few more lbs anyway x x x

Difficulty: Average
Time Required: Eight weeks
Here's How:

1. Get medical clearance from your doctor before you get started.
  2. Getting the right running shoes for your foot type is crucial for comfort and injury prevention . Visit a running store to get expert advice on buying the right running shoes .
  3. Before you start your workouts, make sure you warm up properly by walking for 5-10 minutes. You should always end your workout with a cooldown.
  4. Week one: Walk for 6 minutes, then jog at an easy pace for 1 minute. Repeat 3 times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for week one.
  5. Week two: Walk for 5 minutes, then jog for 2 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.
  6. Week three: Walk for 3 minutes, then jog for 4 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Aim for four sessions in week three.
  7. Week four: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 5 minutes. Repeat 4 times. Shoot for four of those sessions in week four.
  8. Week five: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 8 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four of those sessions in week five.
  9. Week six: Walk for 2 minutes, then jog for 9 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Try to do four sessions for week six.
  10. Week seven: Walk for 1 minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat 3 times. Do four sessions this week.
  11. Week eight: Congratulations on making it to week eight! For your first run this week, try walking for 5 minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping. Aim to run for 30 minutes four times a week, and you'll notice that your stamina and fitness will continue to improve. Soon you'll be ready to run your first 5K!

Hello alpzzyj

Have you got any tips for a none runner who would love to get involved! I'm so scared my boobs will hit me in my face but i live just by some flashes and the canal so its good to hit there as i dnt think anyone will see me or take note really haha..
How u getting on? and congrats on the applying. I hoping to do soon i need test the water first haha x x

I totally agree with the above - I went before Christmas and it was the best thing I've done. They film your feet while in a neutral shoe and running on a treadmill then play it back in slow motion and you can see exactly how your feet fall and give you shoes with the right support.

Due to a previous knee injury my feet landed on the outer part of the foot then fell flat. Since I got my proper shoes I get no knee pain when I run, they're fabulous.

Good luck hun! I started running by doing the couch 2 5k programme, and although I still can't run five k (the shame!!) I can run for 8 mins without stopping (biggie for me as I had never ran EVER and was a stone heavier at the time.
It also gave me the confidence to start classes (body attack/pump) which I now love.

Good on you! And good luck, you'll love it xx

I'm going to start the c25k programme too. Today i downloaded the programme to my new little running clip mp3, so once I did out my sports bra I'll be all set!

well i've just ordered a stopwatch hahaha i know sad but least i'll be able to keep track of times and stuff start me off! Was only £3.00 of ebay!
I have some running trainers i got last year when i started the gym with the intention to start running! I'll see how they go but for £100 they should be ok i think we'll see! haha I'll see if i can stick it out b4 i buy well expensive ones!

Sports bra is something i really need a new one! think i'll have take a trip sumwhere that will do my size haha!
its exciting hopefully i'll be able to get running at the gym too once im better! x x x

I used to run with my dad and then I just used to use my watch, which has a stopwatch on it. But when my dad stopped going, I found it hard to stop myself cutting the sessions short. Hoping the programme will help if i've got someone telling me when to run and walk- it was only a tenner (cheap tat, but it'll do the job!).

M&S for sportsbras. My bangers don't move anywhere when I've got mine on, and they're much cheaper than the shock absorbers ones.

oooo brilliant i shall check it out.... Do they do the erm larger sizes? hahaha i was blessed with big bangers Gok would love em tell you! But they are such a pain in the backside! A stone down and i aint lost out off them! I'm hoping the next two stone may shift a bit of boob fat haha x x

I wanted a pink stopwatch but i could not find one! Gutted! haha x x

oooooooooooo i like!!! Ive just found a pink sports bra too on m&s hahaha ok i know im getting excited haha I can't wait get running! Just wish my ear would get better! I feel i aint gonna lose out this week i've been in all week watching Supernatural boxset.. I tried getting on the wii b4 but i keep going dizzy it's awful.... Would not mind i'd booked this week off work to house hunt with my boyfriend haha x x

I'm still trying to shake the last of a cold off before I head out, or i'd barely get anywhere before I started coughing!!

Rubbish aint it? I think in last year i must have had everything going, i feel like a walking advert for the NHS haha!
I'm gonna give myself a date of Monday to start running i dont think ill be out b4 then, sat im seeing a morgage adviser soooo im hoping ill be ok for that toooo excited! Well i say excited i need them allow us to borrow 130ish haha x x x

UDATE!!!

Well today i did my first day of my walk/jog! My word it killed me but hey ho i managed to do it and i now feel brilliant! :)
Going to try do it Sunday too.... I really need a stopwatch still but i found one on my ipod just a pain keep checking it but i won't need time myself forever anyway!

I was dead scared when i jogged past people i felt like phoebe from friends when she is running weird haha! I Just shoved my ipod on and got some hardcore tunes pumping haha x x

Hello my ikle running buddies!

Well i went for my 2nd run today! I did like a million times worse (i blame the rain) haha but i did it! I seemed to have got worse but hopefully by Tuesday i'll be more pumped with being back at work! haha x x

I'm committing myself to go out tomorrow after work for my first run - you've heard it here, so now I have to go!!

Update

So i am now doing 5mins and 2 mins of jogging & i managed it! Apart from the ice and nearly falling on my bum hahaha!
I am also drinking less water so touch wood soon i wont even have take that with me haha! Lets hope, thou i dnt think it's losing me any weight but we'll see and i'll defo keep u posted!

How's everyone else doing? Anyone else started yet? x x

Back