SW and Clomid

cazie6

hi,

We went to see our fertility consultant yesterday and have been prescribed Clomid (have PCOS on both ovaries). I'm so excited and I keep trying to check myself because I don't want to let myself in for a massive fall if I don't get pregnant like I did when we had IUI (since been told by my new consultant in a new health authority that it was a waste of time having it). My weight loss is coming on brilliantly and my BMI is now 26.8 so I'm hoping that this will also help.

One question though - does taking Clomid slow down weight loss? Only asking because the consultant said that it can cause bloating amongst other things. Also, does anyone here experience any side effects from it? (ok, that's two questions :p). I'm starting it when *week arrives so probably next month with my cycles being the way they are!

Caz xxx

Clomid does make you a bit bloated and can increase your appetite, but i wouldnt worry as it is just bloated-ness (is that even a word??) and something that will go down!

Good luck with it, clomid is a wonder drug! Fingers crossed for you :)

Thanks Aileen.

If it does increase my appetite I'll just have to make sure I eat the free foods then I'll be ok. Saying that, even if it does slow down my weight loss I won't be that bothered just as long as the clomid works for us. I'm keeping everything crossed (apart from my legs obviously :D ) that it does work for us. We've been trying for 5 years now and I just want the treatment to go ok this time. :)

Caz xx

I concieved DD1 via Clomid after having lost a lot of weight (did three cycles before the weightloss that were entirely pointless and it was the third cycle after the weightloss that was the successful one). Cant say I noticed much of a bloaty effect, but it did make me hellishly premenstrual feeling so I imagine that bloaty would be part and parcel... Your BMI is so close to normal range now anyway, just stick with the plan and try and stay away from the naughties that you "might" crave if you would during PMT time anyway.

Good luck with it all and well done on the loss so far :) I'm actually on SW now to lose enough weight to actually be given the clomid so will follow your posts with interest x

Thanks for your replies, you've given me so much hope Madame so thank you for that :)

Hayley if I can lose weight then anybody can! Good luck and I hope you get the clomid sooner than you'd planned for. Just keep the focus on why you are losing weight, that's what I'm doing. I know clomid isn't a wonder drug but I'm really really hoping it is in our case and can't wait for *week now so I can start the first cycle! I'll keep you all posted.. :D

Hayley, you can buy a natural alternative to clomid from health shops, its called Soya Isoflavones. Obvioulsy not as good as clomid but might be worth a go until you can get clomid. Google it with infertility :)

Wow, I didn't know about Aileen, wished I'd have seen this months ago cos I would have tried that! I'm guessing it helps you ovulate?

I am a clomid baby! My Mum took it to concieve both me and my sister, she says it did bloat her and she felt a bit hungrier but not massively, good luck with it all, will watch your posts with interest! xx

Yep, apparently so!

Ive never tried it, nor clomid, but im a midwife and am very interested in infertility and its treatment, id love to go into that kind of work someday and help people :)

I think its amazing!

Just been reading up on the Soya Isoflavones, kicking myself that I haven't seen this before! Hayley, this is definitely worth a try, from what I've read you take it like you would Clomid on cycle days 2-6 (start off at the lower dose first as too much may have the opposite affect). If it comes to it that the clomid doesn't help me get pregnant, then I'll definitely be trying this out as an alternative.

Aileen, I think you should get into this side of things if you can, I think it's amazing what can help and to think that you have helped people get something they have been longing for years for must be an amazing feeling. xxx

I have no experience of using Clomid but just wanted to wish you all the best, I REALLY hope you have success with it and enjoy the 'baby making' :bananalove: xx

Yeah, i do love my job just now, full of job satisfaction! Suppose id just like to see the other side of it :)

I love looking after someone in work who has been trying for years and have eventually got their baby... its lovely :D

Hey Im currently in my first round of clomid af due at the weekend so
fingers crossed it doesn't arrive!! I have still been able to lose weight over the last few weeks but am constantly feeling bloated!! And I am always hungry and feel like eating all the time which is very hard!! Good luck and baby dust to you!!

I bet it is and I think it's nice to have a job that's rewarding in that way :)

Thank you for all your kind wishes :) xx

I have heard that clomid can cause weight gain and increase your appetite. I have PCOS also, but am on metformin.

All I can suggest is to try making low GI choices for your meals, that means avoiding "white" carbs and sticking to wholewheat (i.e. whole wheat pastas, rices, breads), potatoes should be limited too.

I hope you have some exciting news for us soon :)

Hayley, you can buy a natural alternative to clomid from health shops, its called Soya Isoflavones. Obvioulsy not as good as clomid but might be worth a go until you can get clomid. Google it with infertility :)

I can recommend Maca too, is supposed to work wonders on infertility problems and is a totally natural product. You can read more about it here, but you only need to google it, to see how it has worked for others:

Maca

Hey Im currently in my first round of clomid af due at the weekend so
fingers crossed it doesn't arrive!! I have still been able to lose weight over the last few weeks but am constantly feeling bloated!! And I am always hungry and feel like eating all the time which is very hard!! Good luck and baby dust to you!!

Oh how exciting, I will keep my fingers crossed for you hun and you must tell me how you get on. Sending lorry loads of baby dust to you hun :D:D:D

Britmum, I can't eat wholewheat rice and pasta because I don't like the taste, but do eat brown bread so maybe that will help? I'll just have to stay mindful that it won't be me who is hungry but the clomid lol x

Ohhh I'll deffo have a look for that~thankyou! Although tbh I know I really need to lose the weight to have a healthier pregnancy if it does happen so am on a mission :)

Just an update I got my bfp on thur first round I couldn't believe it I've tested everyday and still positives!! So clomid does really work must admit wasn't expecting it to happen first cycle though!! Baby dust to you xx

Back