SW & Breastfeeding

MumTums

Hiya, I've just had my baby :D & will be coming back to SW to get back into shape in the next couple of months so I'm just wondering if anyone knows the extras you get when breastfeeding as i'm not sure if they've changed since I last did it!

Thank you :p

hiya. congrats. i am a bfeeding mummy.

u get extra healthy extras but try and use mainly a's.

up to 2 months - 3 extra
2-3 months 4 extra
4-6 if starting to wean - 3
4 to 6 if bm is sole source of nutrient for your baby - 4
over 6 months when weaning - 1

Fab thanks :D

How old is your little one? x

you should not have too many a choices as too much dairy when feeding is not ideal and b choices will make you feel full for longer it is a myth you need to drink milk to make milk

but i was told by my consultant that you need to use the calcium?
I dont drink much milk at all and never have a diminished supply?

My baby is 21 weeks :)
x

Congrats on the birth of your baby! :D

I'm a breastfeeding mummy too (and BF peer counsellor), but I don't think I would get any extra as my little boy is 2!

Congrats on the birth of your baby! :D

I'm a breastfeeding mummy too (and BF peer counsellor), but I don't think I would get any extra as my little boy is 2!

possum how do you become a bf peer counsellor? I would love to do something like that as i had no help whatsoever and had to go through 6 weeks of undiagnosed tongue tie and thrush for 8 weeks! xxx

I trained with the Breastfeeding Network (google them and then look for training), although the other BF charities also run peer support programs. You can then help other mums at HV clinics, at BF groups or even on Post-natal wards - wherever there is a midwife, Health Visitor or BF counsellor with more training. You can go on to train to become a full BF counsellor or stay as a mum-to-mum helper. It's incredibly rewarding to know that you can help mums who are struggling with problems like you had. I also had a really tough start, which is exactly why I did it. Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more :)

but i was told by my consultant that you need to use the calcium?
I dont drink much milk at all and never have a diminished supply?

My baby is 21 weeks :)
x

calcium is available from things like seeds green veg and too much milk can lead to upset tummies and snotty babbies, yes consultants are told about calcium but they are not lactation consultants.

you need fluids to make milk but if we needed milk to make milk we would have no milk in the first place as cows would not produce it:8855:

vegans can happily feed, so b choices are often better than a choices

I'm also a peer supporter

sorry i didnt read its a myth that you need milk to make milk.
i thought thats what you was saying my bad.
xxx

I trained with the Breastfeeding Network (google them and then look for training), although the other BF charities also run peer support programs. You can then help other mums at HV clinics, at BF groups or even on Post-natal wards - wherever there is a midwife, Health Visitor or BF counsellor with more training. You can go on to train to become a full BF counsellor or stay as a mum-to-mum helper. It's incredibly rewarding to know that you can help mums who are struggling with problems like you had. I also had a really tough start, which is exactly why I did it. Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more :)

thanks for some reason it wont do the drop down so i can pm you?

I have applied to NCT to become a counsellor but heard nothing?
Also i have no money to put into training do you need to have much to learn?
x

Oh, I think you need to have posted a certain amount of posts to get PMs. Hopefully, I'll get to that soon and can PM you. You shouldn't have to pay anything.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, MumTums :)

Busy_mam, nice to see another supporter around :)

I have just stopped feeding my 21 month old, and am feeding my 3 week old. Not started sw again yet, but would love to buddy up with breastfeeding mums.

Last edited:
If you are going to a class you can ask your consultant for the special booklet for pregnant women and new mothers.

Wasn't doing sw till after I stopped breastfeeding but I'd just like to say congratulations and well done to you for gicing your baby the best start in life ,breastfeeding is loads easier too once the first few weeks are out of the way , enjoy it !!
darlen051.gif

I ment via the internet really not onto the whole group thing if thats why your asking where I live.

Back