SW Chips help, please?

Monkey_Monkey_Underpants

Not quite normal
When I make SW chips they're always rubbish!

They're dry, and to get them properly cooked through they're always overdone on the outside.

I've tried them with pre-boiling, and I've tried them without pre-boiling.
I've tried them for a short burst in a really hot oven, and for longer in a cooler one.

Everyone else seems to live on these, and, by all accounts, absolutely loves them.

So -

How do you do yours?
With absolute details please, on timings and heat settings.

I need to make these edible, cos if I can get them so that the family will eat them, it will make my life so much easier. (As well as yummier!!)

I put the oven on 200 & put a little oil (yes oil) in a tray; the tray I use is the grill pan thingy in the oven & I use a baking sheet, (the type you can wash, you can buy these cheap at Aldi). I let the oil warm whilst I peel & cut my potaotes. Then I rinse them under cold water to get rid of the starch. I then put them in the pan making sure each chip is covered in oil. I put the timer on for 15 mins, take the pan out & give them a flip over, back in over for 10-15 mins, this process works ok for our family.

I do find I get better chips if I use the pan with baking sheet & not just an ordinary baking tray.

Hiya

I have a fan assisted oven which I set at 180.
I buy jacket potatoes for my chips. I peel and cut into chunky chip sizes

Then I put them in a large pan with cold water. Put the lid on and bring to the boil.
I drain them , rough them up by shaking a bit in the saucepan.

I spray a chip tray (flat tray with holes in it)
with the Frylight olive oil. Then place chips on tray and make sure there are none on top of each other.
I respray with frylight and sprinkle with salt ( or other flavouring)
Then into the oven.
I turn them a couple of times to evenly brown.
But keep an eye on them - usually takes 20 mins-30 mins

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I do mine exactly the same way as KWise1 except at 190. I think the chip/pizza tray makes a real difference as they brown easier. Make sure you do Fry Light the actual tray as well - I am generous on the Fry Light! I eat them about 3 times a week and my OH even says they are nicer than normal oven chips?? :)

Jenbo50 said:
I do mine exactly the same way as KWise1 except at 190. I think the chip/pizza tray makes a real difference as they brown easier. Make sure you do Fry Light the actual tray as well - I am generous on the Fry Light! I eat them about 3 times a week and my OH even says they are nicer than normal oven chips?? :)

Same here Jenbo. I do liberally spray with frylight before & after.

Have you tried malt salt and bacon flavourings on them- they are yummy

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

this is how i do mine..
1. heat oven up to 220
2. peel potatoes and cut into chunky chips
3. boil the kettle, and when its boiled fill a saucepan with it
4. wait until waters boiling and chuck chips in,leave for 6 mins
5. pour out and drain, and then put the chips back into the dry saucepan,leaving to dry for like 10mins
6. go crazy with frylight on the baking tray lol
7. shake chips in the saucepan with a lid on to rough them up
8. put chips on baking tray and spray all over the top with frylight
9. put in oven for about 25mins

mine always come out lovely, but some ppl dont even boil them and they still seem to work let us know how u get on! xxxx

Mine don't turn out right either but I reckon it's the type of potato, my mum makes wonderful normal chips and sw chips but she only uses potatoes from the fruit and veg shop, she tried using supermarket ones but she didn't like them, I'm going to go to the fruit and veg shop today to get some potatoes and try again over the weekend :)

I have the best way to colour them, use priprika. after I boil mine, I drain then let the steam dry them for a min then give them a shake in the pan. I spray with spray oil first and let them cook for bout 10 mins. I take tham out add priprika and more oil, and do this again after another 10 mins. Kepp them in 30 mins altogether. It really works, they are so different

Thank you all!
I'm going to make several attempts over the next few days, putting all your suggestions into practice.

More are still welcome, though!

When I reach The Definitive Chip I will definitely let you know.

My tray that I do them in - takes some cleaning afterward - really seems to stick! SO may try again after reading this - thank you

this is how i do mine..
1. heat oven up to 220
2. peel potatoes and cut into chunky chips
3. boil the kettle, and when its boiled fill a saucepan with it
4. wait until waters boiling and chuck chips in,leave for 6 mins
5. pour out and drain, and then put the chips back into the dry saucepan,leaving to dry for like 10mins
6. go crazy with frylight on the baking tray lol
7. shake chips in the saucepan with a lid on to rough them up
8. put chips on baking tray and spray all over the top with frylight
9. put in oven for about 25mins

mine always come out lovely, but some ppl dont even boil them and they still seem to work let us know how u get on! xxxx

I do mine very similar to this. I preheat my oven (fan-assisted) to 225 degrees, and the chips go on the middle shelf.

I probably boil my chips first for 8 minutes rather than 6, and I don't bother to wait for them to dry anymore (I tried this and it didn't seem to make much difference to the result) - I just put the drained chips in the saucepan, put the lid on, and shake them up to fluff up the edges.

I also cook mine for 25 mins - halfway through I'll get them out and turn them over with a fish-slice type thing and spray with a bit more frylight.

They come out really lovely and soft in the middle, with firm to crispy-ish outsides - yum.

(I used to peel mine, but I've started just cutting up the potatoes as they are - they taste the same, imo. But then I do use large baking spuds so most of the chips don't have skin on them anyway.)

hello!

i always leave the skins on mine, i chip the potatoes put them on a plate spray with a little fry light and microwave them for about 10 mins let them stand a few mins , put on a oven tray i use a pizza tray with the holes in, spray the chips with more fry light then salt n pepper, then put in a pre-heated oven on highest setting my goes to gas mark 10 for about 15-20 mins until golden, turning half way through.

a few flavouring i sometimes use a veg oxo crumbled and sprinkled over the last 5 mins, natural yog mixed with paprika, natural yog mixed with a veg oxo and salt n pepper, garlic salt, garlic granules and mixed herbs, maggi liquid seasoning xx

I don't actually boil my potatoes, just spray the baking tray (I'm another liberal sprayer!! - that sounds wrong :D), put my chips on the tray, frylight over the chips, put in a preheated to 200 fan oven. Take them out after 10 minutes, shake/turn, put in for another 10 minutes, shake/turn. I then turn my oven off and about another 3 or 4 minutes will do them. I also know a few other people who don't parboil them either.

When I'm at my sisters house..... Well a whole different story! She also complained about how they turned out so i went over to show her how! It took about 50(!) minutes to do them in her oven. So although I think it mint make a difference if you parboil them first, I also think your oven has a lot to do with it. Mines is probably too hot (e.g., baked potatoes NEVER turn put right :() but it works wonders with my sw chips!

I sometimes have the same problem - I think I boil mine too long and they disintegrate when I shake them. Going to give these tips a try tonight with our SW burgers :) Thanks xxx

I think there has to be a certain amount of expectation management here.

They are baked chips made with fry-light. They are NEVER going to taste like deep fried chips, or chippy chips, and there's probably things done to frozen oven chips that we dont know about which means they will never taste like that either.

They can still taste very nice. You can do all sorts of different things to them to make them nice in a different way (leave on skins, coat with paprika/chicken stock cube, spices etc).

If you dont like them because they dont taste like what you are used to then you will probably never find that perfect slimming world chip because it cannot be some thing its not.

But it can still be good. Just different.

(FWIW - sometimes I par-boil, sometimes I dont. Sometimes I leave skins on sometimes not. Different varieties of potatoes can have varying results, but I dont really keep track of which types I use so I cant say which are best - its all a matter of opinion, I quite like soggy chips which I know some people cant abide. But my one constant is that I always use the mesh tray - you can get them in poundland - if nothing else, they cook quicker!)

Back