Snacks SW Crisps - YOU MUST READ!!

I'm confused about how they are not free? They are potatoes with frylight - i'm not even sure how yoy'd syn it seeong as none of the ingredients have syn values on EE or Green. Could i do a red day and hexb them!?!?

They are not free because these will be mostly eaten as a snack (the same with the lasagne crisps), and because they are so dried out in cooking, they will not be as filling as a potato cooked in it's normal way as part of meal and usually with a 1/3 superfree. Slimming World is about maximising filling foods. Eating these does the complete opposite.

Just look at it this way, would you go into a supermarket buy a packet of baked crisps and eat them without counting the syns? this unfortunately isnt any different.

SW set these rules to make the plan work for us, they have to have some guidelines to follow and because the plan doesnt involve any weighing or counting of calories, these rules are there to make sure we are not eating more than our body physically needs, which is when you are likely to not lose weight or at worse even experience a gain.

Some may say they eat these as free and still lose weight, but be aware that this might not be the case for everyone and SW's advice is that these must be synned as if using a potato on a Original day, regardless of which plan you are doing. If you give 100% to the plan then you get 100% percent back, start adding up all the little tweaks which trust me do eventually add up, then you would be surprised just how many extra syns you might be consuming.

I am sorry to be a party pooper, but I do dislike seeing posts encouraging members to do things against SW's advice, especially when there might be members new to slimming world reading, who could easily be led off plan and then wonder why they don't lose weight.

I have made these before and synned them as advised and it really isnt all that bad syn wise for a nice treat/snack. I would much rather stick to the plan 100%.

They are not free because these will be mostly eaten as a snack (the same with the lasagne crisps), and because they are so dried out in cooking, they will not be as filling as a potato cooked in it's normal way as part of meal and usually with a 1/3 superfree. Slimming World is about maximising filling foods. Eating these does the complete opposite.

Just look at it this way, would you go into a supermarket buy a packet of baked crisps and eat them without counting the syns? this unfortunately isnt any different.

SW set these rules to make the plan work for us, they have to have some guidelines to follow and because the plan doesnt involve any weighing or counting of calories, these rules are there to make sure we are not eating more than our body physically needs, which is when you are likely to not lose weight or at worse even experience a gain.

Some may say they eat these as free and still lose weight, but be aware that this might not be the case for everyone and SW's advice is that these must be synned as if using a potato on a Original day, regardless of which plan you are doing. If you give 100% to the plan then you get 100% percent back, start adding up all the little tweaks which trust me do eventually add up, then you would be surprised just how many extra syns you might be consuming.

I am sorry to be a party pooper, but I do dislike seeing posts encouraging members to do things against SW's advice, especially when there might be members new to slimming world reading, who could easily be led off plan and then wonder why they don't lose weight.

I have made these before and synned them as advised and it really isnt all that bad syn wise for a nice treat/snack. I would much rather stick to the plan 100%.

good post britmumincanada :)

So How would I syn them then? I don't mind doing so if its less syns than a standard packet of crisps but will stear clear if they are quite high in syns. I just don't know how I would?

Its really frustrating as a relative newbie though to be told that potatoes are free, and that fry light is free and then to find out that they are not free when put together!!! On this basis I should probably be synning SW Chips if I cut them up really thin!!! I get why it would be possible to eat loads of these, but surely it would make sense for SW to say, 'if you cook then this way, you can only have x amount of free?'

kingleds said:
So How would I syn them then? I don't mind doing so if its less syns than a standard packet of crisps but will stear clear if they are quite high in syns. I just don't know how I would?

Its really frustrating as a relative newbie though to be told that potatoes are free, and that fry light is free and then to find out that they are not free when put together!!! On this basis I should probably be synning SW Chips if I cut them up really thin!!! I get why it would be possible to eat loads of these, but surely it would make sense for SW to say, 'if you cook then this way, you can only have x amount of free?'

You syn the potato you use as you would on a original day.

And that is 227g of potato with skin on!

kingleds said:

Also Potatoes are free and the sw chips are made as part of a meal, so you will be including a 1/3 super free and therefore limiting your serving of the potatoes. However SW are aware that these crisps are at the most of times going to be eaten as a snack, so they have to apply some rules to help us avoid overindulging. Hence why they have to be synned when eaten in this way.

It is very similar to having to syn fruit when not eaten in it's raw form and having to syn things like cous cous when used as a substitute for flour in cakes.

SW don't make these rules to be mean to us, they are there to make sure the diet works, so there does have to be some limits in certain areas. If SW allowed all the things I have mentioned above to be done without synning, trust me not many people would be doing slimming world because it wouldn't be as successful a plan. We have to remember we are all here to lose weight and most of us (myself included) need support with this because it is hard to have self control with food without the set guidelines.

hollys nan said:
And that is 227g of potato with skin on!

That is as a HEb, I mean as a syn value as on a original day not as a healthy extra, you wouldn't be able to have these as a HEb allowance cooked in that way.

Okay. I am having a completely stupid moment here. I can find on the SW Website the following

Non-branded Potatoes, baked, skin & thin layer of flesh, weighed cooked, Medium Potato - 3 Syns on Red Day.

So, how big is a medium potato?!?

This is why I do EE - so I don't have to mess with my fragile little mind weighing sodding potatoes!!!!

Okay. I am having a completely stupid moment here. I can find on the SW Website the following

Non-branded Potatoes, baked, skin & thin layer of flesh, weighed cooked, Medium Potato - 3 Syns on Red Day.

So, how big is a medium potato?!?

This is why I do EE - so I don't have to mess with my fragile little mind weighing sodding potatoes!!!!

But you dont have to weigh potatoes when having them as you do normally i.e. mashed, boiled or roasted/sw chips as part of a meal as they are free.

It is just as these crisps you have to worry about the syn value for my reasons posted above. It really isnt that complicated. I think you are focusing too much on the potatoes cooked in this way to make crisps and not as you would normally cook them as part of a meal.

28g of cooked potatoes is 1 syn on a red day when done with frylight, so I am presuming that will be the syn value for these crisps if you make them (that was how I counted them anyhow). A normal bag of baked crisps is about 5 syns and of similar weight, so you will still get a nice portion of these crisps for little syns.

I will however contact SW and see if I can get the definate syn value of these for you.

Last edited:
Thanks britmum. I was happy to find out the syn value myself - just couldn't seem to find anything on the site which told me the weights. I will work on the 1 syn for 28g theory when I try them

28g potatoes once made into crisps (i.e. all the water extracted) is nothing. In all honesty - I suspect there are just as many syns in home made crisps as there are in Walkers baked or similar.

I don't personally understand why you couldn't hex B it on a red day as long as the potato isn't peeled as it is only water that's extracted from the potatoes - the fibre / vitamin content will remain the same. Also, as healthy extras are measured over indulging isn't an issue.

Having said that I suspect it would over complicate things having one rule for green /EE days and another for red...

Personally I used to find it's such a fiddle to make that by the time I'd finished it hardly seemed worth it :)

28g potatoes once made into crisps (i.e. all the water extracted) is nothing. In all honesty - I suspect there are just as many syns in home made crisps as there are in Walkers baked or similar.

I don't personally understand why you couldn't hex B it on a red day as long as the potato isn't peeled as it is only water that's extracted from the potatoes - the fibre / vitamin content will remain the same. Also, as healthy extras are measured over indulging isn't an issue.

Having said that I suspect it would over complicate things having one rule for green /EE days and another for red...

Personally I used to find it's such a fiddle to make that by the time I'd finished it hardly seemed worth it :)

28g is the COOKED weight, which is the same weight as a packet of baked crisps (so more than enough in my opinion) and you can't HEb it because the way they are cooked makes them dry and removes most of their bulk which gives the filling/satisfying feeling, which defeats the object of a HEb.

I have tried getting the accurate syn value off Slimming World but no reply as yet. I can't ring the syns hotline from here in Canada as it will cost a fortune and to be honest I dont always trust the hotline as so much mixed information has been passed out in the past. Even some consultants confuse members with mixed information. So I can understand why some members become so confused.

Hi britmum. Thanks so much for trying to find out. I will phone the hotline tomorrow and so what they say x

Minivik have you tried nandos piri piri chip sprinkle, brillant on sw chips, roast potatoes, wedges and now CRISPS. £1.99 in morrisons at the herbs and spices section. Be warned they are spicy, but yummy.:D

Back