SW Free smash pizza

Just made it and its lovely! The base is a bit crumbly and i had to leave it in the oven for a lot longer than advised!
I drained a can of chopped toms n mashed them into a paste instead of using puree its yummy! Tea tonite sorted :p

I have a pancake pan very thin and shallow, press the instant mash into it and flatten, cook for a few minutes and when the mix is free to move in the pan turn over and repeat. then remove, then I allow it to cool, then add the tomato/passata and the fillings, finishing with grated cheese then a place on a hot pizza stone in the oven until hot & cooked......
You can use a frying pan if you want, it depends what you have!

bilsat said:
I have a pancake pan very thin and shallow, press the instant mash into it and flatten, cook for a few minutes and when the mix is free to move in the pan turn over and repeat. then remove, then I allow it to cool, then add the tomato/passata and the fillings, finishing with grated cheese then a place on a hot pizza stone in the oven until hot & cooked......
You can use a frying pan if you want, it depends what you have!

Thanks, mite pay visit 2 ebay 4 both tho pizza stone mite b heavy 4 delivery! Where did u get pizza stone & is it worth the buy? x

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using MiniMins

Bought the pizza stone from the internet, then found out it was made just down the road! It came with a rack and a pizza cutter, When you use it DO NOT WET IT when you clean it as it will explode if you then use in the oven! Just brush over and let the heat burn it off.......
The more you use it the better they get but they do go very hot so handle with care as you pre-heat them at as high a temperature as your cooker will go.

image-4204288112.jpg

Made this for first time, baked base and was really crispy until i put all the topping on! Couldnt taste the tomato puree, may have to put more on next time. Still quite tasty and really filling :)

For the tomato base u mum tomato puree, garlic puree, small amount olive oil, basil, S&P then mum wi cold water 2 get consistency. Much btr taste than plain old tomato puree or chopped tomatoes :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using MiniMins

I just had a beautiful smash pizza =) though it was mostly beautiful as i used 3 Hex's of cheese on it lol

and red peppers, mushorroms, sweetcorn and 8 olives (1 syn) totally worth the syn for the olives.

though, i was too eager to get eating it so i forgot to put any garlic/herbs on or in it and I would usually use loads! It was still fabulous.

I'm going the whole hog and going to make some quark "cheesecake" mixture to have for dessert.

This is the best diet ever.

I love smash pizza. I find it really difficult to make the base thin though. Anyone got any tips for that? Am I doing it too dry or something? On a related note, I'm not sure if anyone else has done this before, but I had some leftover potato mixture and I didn't know what to do with it. So I made mini pizza bases, about the circumference of a cupcake and put light garlic philadelphia on them and some smoked salmon or chicken on the top. Turned them into blinis! Served with a big mixed leaf salad, it was amazing.

if you read a page or so back pete has a tip for getting it crispy... have a read through the thread

I made this today for the first time using mr mash it was lovely I put herbs and spices into the mix and rolled it out real thin, will defo b making again :)

I got some smash today to give this a try

I've just tried this for the first time. It didn't hold up too well but tasted delicious! I've read up on tips to make it a bit crispier so will definitely try again. I ate the whole thing so will make a bigger one next time. Will it hold up for lunches the next day do you think? I did mine with extra lean lamb mince and mushrooms. yummy

gleessa said:
I've just tried this for the first time. It didn't hold up too well but tasted delicious! I've read up on tips to make it a bit crispier so will definitely try again. I ate the whole thing so will make a bigger one next time. Will it hold up for lunches the next day do you think? I did mine with extra lean lamb mince and mushrooms. yummy

Mmm that sounds lovely Gleessa! Out of interest where do you buy extra lean lamb mince- I can never find it! X

I have a really good butcher who makes it for me :) Very lucky

Hiya , for all those who find that your smash base is not crispy enough , make sure you are not putting too much water in . Less than half to half the ammount of water does mine. Make sure you stop when the smash is Clumpy and you can roll it into a ball in your hand. Then pat it down on your frylight baking sheet with your palm as much as you can , no thinner than 4mm then use your rolling pin. Cook in a mod oven until lightly golden turn over and cook until lightly golden. Then like i said cool it untill it's cold . Also make sure your tomato sauce is cold aswell. :0)

Thick mash as in real potato? I have heard that it doesn't work with real potato . I dont like smash but with this and the way it is being used , it doesn't taste like smash. Don't forget to add dried basil and oregano , alot , it definetely helps :0)

Back